Throw away old gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utdivermatt:
better yet... dontate to a college kid who is trying to find away to afford gear... i have this friend.... he is trying to buy dive gear, but with tuition and books and an apartment, my... i mean.. his... budget makes it hard to squeeze in scuba gear...
And his name is Matt...? :wink:

DandyDon:
And his name is Matt...? :wink:

Hey... howd you pull that one out? Give me a break... One thing Ive learned in life is you gotta dribble and shoot... then hope for the best. Anyways... between marching band and an engineering degree... i have no time for a part time job right now, which is making my equipment purchase harder. Figured the idea wouldnt hurt

:wink:

Hey Matt. You can have my Sherwood Luna, a mistake my LDS so graciously made on my behalf. It's perfect! Hah. I'm in the same boat with way too much stuff. Women's gear is hard to sell.

Unless its worthless, I save everything. For example my old reg is dedicated for pool use. Maybe you'll open a dive shop again.

There is (or used to be) a guy here who has mentioned a couple of times that he works with Scouts in SCUBA. Maybe he'll show up on this thread.

I sent some stuff to NetDoc. He was working with a group called scuba ducks.

I was in the same boat a few years back...but with musical gear, not dive equipment, and, ya know...I'm HORRIBLY sorry I got rid of that old drum set I wanted to upgrade/recondition because I bought something new...Think long and hard before you sell/trade in something!

Rick Inman:
I was whining to my wife about not having enough money for more dive gear, so she dragged me down to the basement where I have a bunch of old gear.

"Whens the last time you used this?" she demanded.

"Ah... well... about three years ago..."

"And this?"

"Well, I used it once in 2003..."

"And this, and this, and this...."

So I put it all up for sale in our Scubaoard Classified and then on eBay. I got enough from that stuff to buy a digital camera with lenses and dual strobes from another SB member selling it in the classifieds, and to double up my 95's (which was what I was whining about not having the money for in the first place).

Remember, one man's trash...

Our local paper runs free ads on thursday if the item you are selling is $100 or less. I have also advertised in the free weekly papers that you see sitting at the entrance of Wal Mart (usually the cost of an ad is about $3). This gives the customer a chance to see the item and ask questions. I have sold several old underwater cameras, two BCs, speargun, several regulators and a set of steel 72 tanks ...... this seems to be a good way to clean out the closet. (I'm running a 1/4" 5 zipper Farmer John Wetsuit sz lg. in this weeks paper for $25)

Im going into my third set of gear right now. I dont throw anything away or sell it. As an active divemaster, I keep much of my extra gear in my DM box and take along with me on all my dives with students or other divers. Its nice to have the extra gear or parts available in case anyone needs them (including me). The only drawback to doing this is having to have it serviced every year...even though its likely to go unused.

You never know. There guys like me to sell to. I collect two hose regulators and dive them for the fun of it. I just bought a "DA" Navy approved reg off ebay. The fellow who sold it said he had it in his closet for thirty years. I just sent it off to get it rebuilt for next season. The guy who sold it is happy as he got some money for a reg that he hasen't used in three decades. I'm happy because I got it for a good price. Its a win win. Thats just great!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom