Throw away old gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RadRob

Contributor
Reaction score
When you buy a piece of replacement gear, such as a BC or reg's, what do you do with the old set? Keep them on a shelf in the garage, sell them on eBay, throw it away?

My gear isn't that old. It is still in pretty good condition, but I am buying a newer version. I am thinking about where I could put it to good use. Maybe a kid whose parents can't/won't buy him gear, donate to the local YMCA, or just sell it. I don't NEED the money for it, but it would be nice (more money for more accessories). However, I would like to help in any way I can. Most of all, I don't want them to sit there and rot when they still have years of use left in them.

Any comments?

I keep one set of backup gear, and when I want to replace something I upgrade the backup set if possible, and sell the leftover piece of kit. For example, I was diving a DiveRite TPII, and had a Seaquest Spectrum III as a backup. When I switched to BP/wing, I sold the SeaQuest, and made the TPII the new backup.

I am an officially recognized (by me) disposal point for all scuba gear. PM me and I will send you my shipping information. :wink:
Ebay it.
Joe

I was whining to my wife about not having enough money for more dive gear, so she dragged me down to the basement where I have a bunch of old gear.

"Whens the last time you used this?" she demanded.

"Ah... well... about three years ago..."

"And this?"

"Well, I used it once in 2003..."

"And this, and this, and this...."

So I put it all up for sale in our Scubaoard Classified and then on eBay. I got enough from that stuff to buy a digital camera with lenses and dual strobes from another SB member selling it in the classifieds, and to double up my 95's (which was what I was whining about not having the money for in the first place).

Remember, one man's trash...

It is amazing what people will buy on Ebay thinking they are getting a good deal. I have had seen people come in the shop proud of the "steal" they got on Ebay only to find Dacor or other similar maker is an issue (such as no longer making parts, etc...). Buying a used wetsuit to me is especially gross. I threw a Veo 100 computer (air only) that was 2 years old up hoping to maybe get $50.00. It went for $150.00. However, you are welcome to send your old stuff to me. :D

How about donating to a local college with a diving program. The school I voluteer at is always scrambling for gear.....Pool water is brutal on bcd's and regs

RadRob:
My gear isn't that old. It is still in pretty good condition, but I am buying a newer version.

Any comments?

If it isn't that old and it is in good condition; why are you buying new?

When it come to regs, I believe older is better. Just think about how many dives they have successfully made. I always carry at least one backup reg to the dive site. I've saved quite a few dives - almost always some elses. For most other things, I like to have at least one spare around the house. But I'm afraid it is time to start letting some things go to ebay. That's where most of it came from anyway.

--tom--:
How about donating to a local college with a diving program. The school I voluteer at is always scrambling for gear.....Pool water is brutal on bcd's and regs

better yet... dontate to a college kid who is trying to find away to afford gear... i have this friend.... he is trying to buy dive gear, but with tuition and books and an apartment, my... i mean.. his... budget makes it hard to squeeze in scuba gear...

I keep them. You never know when your reg will be in the shop and the other one will be the wrong color and the other one won't be suitable for the cold water and you'll need a different one. :cool:

Seriously, I'd probably sell it, but but verify that the buyer was actually a certified diver.

Terry

RadRob:
When you buy a piece of replacement gear, such as a BC or reg's, what do you do with the old set? Keep them on a shelf in the garage, sell them on eBay, throw it away?

My gear isn't that old. It is still in pretty good condition, but I am buying a newer version. I am thinking about where I could put it to good use. Maybe a kid whose parents can't/won't buy him gear, donate to the local YMCA, or just sell it. I don't NEED the money for it, but it would be nice (more money for more accessories). However, I would like to help in any way I can. Most of all, I don't want them to sit there and rot when they still have years of use left in them.

Any comments?

Back
Top Bottom