Three Rays and a Hooker (Warning: Graphic Images)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome video - what a great encounter! You did a good job flying left wing in that formation (reminded me of the Blue Angels):)

What did you capture the pics and video with? The white balance was spot on!

It’s somewhat primitive actually. The video was taken with a GoPro 4 with a BackScatter Flip6 filter system mounted on a tray. The rays were hanging around 40 feet, so it was right in the sweet spot for the 20/50 filter. No color correction necessary.

I am simply extracting pics from video using the Video 2 Photo app and making minor adjustments with the Snapseed app. The movies are edited using iMovie. So pretty much the same stuff any 8 year old has access to and can use better than me.

Thanks for the compliment btw!

Last edited:
Really a once in a life time moment... and you didn’t screw up with the camera, it had memory and battery power and everything!! Nice job!

We use to feel the same way but came to appreciate it more when we started diving to the wreck from the adjuct sites.

Typically we would start at Angel City, immediately cross to the second reef and travel north. You will eventually see the chains that led to the Hooker. It is a dramatic perspective to follow the chain until it starts across the sand and you see the silhouette of the Hooker forming over the sand. More recently the chain on the sand has been covered but it is still an interesting approach to the wreck.

This latest trip we had discussed the dive starting at The Lake and heading south. This was Eric’s approach on his dive.
I fell in love with the Lake dive site on our last trip, when we met you guys. I am not sure why it took me so long to dive that site or why I had put it off. It is now one of my favorite dives!

LOL...:rofl3: Kinda thought that might be you...

I fell in love with the Lake dive site on our last trip, when we met you guys. I am not sure why it took me so long to dive that site or why I had put it off. It is now one of my favorite dives!

Five trips to Bonaire and I don't recall ever diving The Lake--probably because it's next to the Hilma Hooker, which we dived once and said "meh" about. This video and discussion has me completely rethinking that.

Five trips to Bonaire and I don't recall ever diving The Lake--probably because it's next to the Hilma Hooker, which we dived once and said "meh" about. This video and discussion has me completely rethinking that.

Completely agree. After diving the overly hyped Hilma Hooker on the first trip to Bonaire our reaction was “great, we never have to do that again”. However, diving into the Hooker from Angel City or The Lake is a different story. Skip to the 3:22 mark of the linked video for a quick perspective of following the chain into the Hooker from Angel City. Diving from The Lake you will know the wreck is close when the tarpon appear.

Bonaire December 2017 trip video.

The topography at The Lake is quite unique. To the south the outer reef contacts the inner reef at two distinct locations resulting in a “lake of sand” at around 70 feet deep. The backside of the outer reef is also pretty dramatic as it quickly plunges into the depths. Swimming north the outer reef gradually drops off and becomes sandy and patchy at 100 feet. This is near the beginning of the second reef formation. The Lake also offers an easy entry with a cool sandy swim out. Hope this is helpful.

Completely agree. After diving the overly hyped Hilma Hooker on the first trip to Bonaire our reaction was “great, we never have to do that again”. However, diving into the Hooker from Angel City or The Lake is a different story. Skip to the 3:22 mark of the linked video for a quick perspective of following the chain into the Hooker from Angel City. Diving from The Lake you will know the wreck is close when the tarpon appear.

Bonaire December 2017 trip video.

The topography at The Lake is quite unique. To the south the outer reef contacts the inner reef at two distinct locations resulting in a “lake of sand” at around 70 feet deep. The backside of the outer reef is also pretty dramatic as it quickly plunges into the depths. Swimming north the outer reef gradually drops off and becomes sandy and patchy at 100 feet. This is near the beginning of the second reef formation. The Lake also offers an easy entry with a cool sandy swim out. Hope this is helpful.
That was well described. Tons of cool garden eels in the sand and I saw free swimming green morays on each dive at the Lake also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom