Three Rays and a Hooker (Warning: Graphic Images)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last week I did a late morning solo dive from “The Lake” in Bonaire. After exploring the deep western side of the outer reef I headed south into the Hilma Hooker. Incredibly the wreck was desolate, so I had the ship to myself. While swimming around the stern a group of immature eagle rays revealed themselves in the distance up on the innermost reef. They accepted me into the pack and the four of us methodically glided alongside the ship for about 10 minutes. It was an unexpected opportunity to get lots of cool video with the Hooker in the background. Please accept my apologies if you were mislead by the title.

View attachment 467284

View attachment 467286 View attachment 467285

Here's my video-

Here's my video-

Great! These little guys are definitely sticking together. You can tell they feel a certain safety in numbers. Glad you were able to enjoy them too. I am terrible at estimating length underwater (especially when lobster hunting), but I was thinking their wingspan was around 3 feet. Does that seem about right?

Soloist, who did the music for your video?

The song is Sacred Ground by the Steve Morse Band from the Structural Damage CD (1995). I saw Steve Morse with his band The Dregs back in 1978. Wow, he must be old, wait, I’m old! He is an unbelievable guitarist, musician and composer.

@Gdog, simply amazing photography on your flickr link by the way!

Last edited:
The song is Sacred Ground by the Steve Morse Band from the Structural Damage CD (1995). I saw Steve Morse with his band The Dregs back in 1978. Wow, he must be old, wait, I’m old! He is an unbelievable guitarist, musician and composer.

@Gdog, simply amazing photography on your flickr link by the way!
Well, after seeing your avatar, and your name, I was kinda thinking maybe the score was something you had made. Either way, great stuff! And cheers to getting old my friend!

Thanks for the kind comments on my flickr!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom