Three questions for you semi dry wearers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wearing a triweight tropic dive skin under a 5 mm wetsuit and after the first 5 minutes was warm the rest of a 30 minute dive with 47 farenheit. Can I expect lower than that (47) to be ok if I place the triweight under the semidry?

I've got a Bare Arctic hoodless semi-dry. I wear an O'Neill hood that has a smooth skin around the neck to seal with the suit, and also has a flap that goes around the outside of the neck and folds down over the neck of the suit. This sandwiches the suit between both smooth skin portions of the hood. Under the suit I wear a Scubapro 1.5mm Glideskin in just my undies. So far, the coldest I've dove was 39F for 41 minutes. My body was still comfortable, but my lips and feet were numb. I don't think I'm all that cold resistant, so I feel pretty good about my Bare. I'm currently looking for a better pair of boots to replace my 3mm Islanders. As for gloves, I picked up a pair of US Divers Arctic five fingers for $25. Can't beat 'em for that!

I've got the Mares and have used both the dry hood that came with it as well as a 5/3 hood. I like the 5/3 better. I use Scuba Max boots as well and deal with the water.

I have used the semi for two repeat dives in 50 degree water and 50ish surface temp and was pretty warm. By the end of the second one I was feeling a bit cool but not bad.

How funny. I didn't even remember when I came to read the recents replies that I started this thread, and way back in 2003!

flashover604:
That's funny! So, figure out the suit question yet?!

I guess you're talking to me. After experimenting, I have settled for: 5/3 drysuit hood with a windsurfer hooded vest over the top (it's thin but keeps a lot of water from gushing down the neck), cheap boots with neoprene sox, and regular long underwear underneath. The socks and long underwear get wet, but I feel like I'm warmer with them on. I think the weakest part (ie the one that lets in most of the water) is the wrists. I am reasonably warm on two dives for about an hour apiece in the low 50s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom