Three newbie drysuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gil Middlebrooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
1. If the drysuit comes with attached soft neoprene socks (not boots), isn't the diver going to get wet feet?

2. I do primarily dives where there are not long walks from suiting up to the water -- quarries and boat dives. Do you advise something like Rockboots or a set of oversized neoprene booties to go over the drysuit socks?

3. If I go with something like Rockboots, I need a larger set of fins, but nothing fancy. Any suggestions?

Thanks for helping me out. The folks on this forum are great and extremely helpful. As I learn I hope to "pay it back" by passing on what I have experienced.

1. No, it is water proofed neoprene, like a neoprene drysuit.
2. Yes, you will want some kind of overboot, whether it is rock boots, wetsuit boots, or I have even seen people wear Converse high tops.
3. You will probably need larger fins. I use old school Jet Fins. They're not to terribly expensive. To get a good fit for a fin, bring in your drysuit & boots when you try on fins.

1. Your feet will stay dry. I am not sure if the neoprene itself is waterproof (I think this is the case) or if it is coated with a waterproof coating, but your feet will be dry.

2. I'd recommend rock boots - neoprene boots will likely be harder to slip on than boots with laces. You can also use Converse runners - "Chucks," I believe they are called.

3. Chucks are cheaper than rock boots. You may need larger fins, or maybe not. For example, if I wear three socks in the drysuit (very cold water) I need to use my (larger) RockBoots and have to use my larger pocket fins. If I use one thin pair of socks (warm water) the RockBoots are too large and I use Chucks. With the Chucks I can get away with either my larger fins or my smaller fins. My smaller fins are used with my wetsuit and booties.

I use Mares Avanti Quattros. Many of the fins out there are great. In my opinion, really, really consider getting spring straps for your fins - getting fins on and off are a dream with spring straps.

I know that some use Converse high tops, but they didn't come close to fitting over my drysuit booties. I ended up with Bare Trek Boots. Seem to work well, and just a little cheaper then the Rock Boots.

3. If I go with something like Rockboots, I need a larger set of fins, but nothing fancy. Any suggestions?

the hollis f1 fins have E-normous foot pockets, but with an adjustable built-in spring strap to fit many different boots!

A cheap pair of over-size wet boots work well and may save you from buying new fins.

Mr Gil Middlebrooks.

1. Your feet will stay dry. I am not sure if the neoprene itself is waterproof (I think this is the case) or if it is coated with a waterproof coating, but your feet will be dry...

As you exert, as occurs in diving, which is likened to climbing stairs although not as noticeable, you will perspire and your feet may become wet from the inside.
Neoprene is waterproof, as is a seam glued and stitched neoprene dry suit foot or sock.

2. I'd recommend rock boots - neoprene boots will likely be harder to slip on than boots with laces. You can also use Converse runners - "Chucks," I believe they are called..

Rock boots, which are not required for a short walk, over neoprene, will require a larger set of fins.
With zip, standard neoprene booties, to which I also add a Velcro tab or loop, slip on very easily. More easily than on bare feet and are far simpler than laces.
They can also slip off very easily if you mismanage the air in your suit whilst inverted or, horizontal.
Even thin neoprene dryahemsuit socks are very size deceptive and even with a next size up thin soft ripple soled bootie, may still require a larger fin.
Converse or Fook Inn or Sheen, gym boots depending on the bigger future economic picture of America or China or Mexico are a very good idea due to laces for stability and for foot air management, but because of the square sole profile will require a larger fin.

3. Chucks are cheaper than rock boots. You may need larger fins, or maybe not. For example, if I wear three socks in the drysuit (very cold water) I need to use my (larger) RockBoots and have to use my larger pocket fins. If I use one thin pair of socks (warm water) the RockBoots are too large and I use Chucks. With the Chucks I can get away with either my larger fins or my smaller fins. My smaller fins are used with my wetsuit and booties..

What mpetryk does with his fabric dryahemsuit or neoprene wetsuit is of no consequence, but is interesting anyway.

I use Mares Avanti Quattros. Many of the fins out there are great. In my opinion, really, really consider getting spring straps for your fins - getting fins on and off are a dream with spring straps.

I have these excellent Mares fins, or a couple of similar models although I change the piddly buckle system to the Tusa style, however it is disappointing that from my dozen or so fins only one, an old Reflex with removable blade stiffeners has a pocket to fit my 5mm suit that I had to have built with 3mm socks with standard soft soled booties because my feet that I sometimes store in my mouth are big, which hopefully to everybody else is of little or no consequence. And I walk miles or what seems like miles thankfully only in half a wetsuit.

Spring straps whilst being for a few seconds of your donning process, after you have laced up your boots, a dream, will limit your fin use to one rig and are not adjustable to varying moods and dive conditions. I have never torn a strap or broken a buckle but have been line entangled which more than likely would have happened anyway due to careless diving or not careless diving or even with the, mandatory for cool, spring strap. I have some. For my bad back and tight suit and old bones and fat guts, of which I have none. Well I do have two of my suits identical, one for the summer version of me and one for that other heavier bloke that hangs around over winter.

Of course, all this also depends on the size of your foot and whether you are a loose fin kinda guy or a not so loose fin kinda guy.

So now, considering what you are purchasing if you are fortunate with foot size, is the opportunity to buy any fin you have dreamed of, or will dream of.

Or after research, yes the try but don't buy method, unless your dryahemsuit maker or seller also sells fins and gives you a really good deal considering what you are spending and how much of a nice guy you are, I hope you're not a chick, but then you should be able to get them cheaper still, you could find some second hand perfect condition with one or ten dive's scratches on them depending on the diving that has been performed, for 1/3 the price. Very good.

My saga, dryahemsuit bootie fin pocket can't get the fin that I want, affair of the state, really weighs heavily on my brain, but only when I spend time thinking about it, really affects me off.

I've been to a guy that makes custom leather shoes?

Thanks mpetryk just sayin practisin the lerned meself the qwotin parroting in my opinion sistem at the end of the day allegedly for legal reasons does not nullify or excuse over posting even your practised,
theoretical information..

Thanks mpetryk just sayin practisin the lerned meself the qwotin parroting in my opinion sistem at the end of the day allegedly for legal reasons does not nullify or excuse over posting even your practised,
theoretical information..

Do you just follow me around SB?

knowone, you need to attach a blood alcohol level lockout on your keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom