Three divers lose their lives at Chac Mool in Riviera Maya. 2 Brazillian, 1 Spaniard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say that this is concerning. As someone who is planning on diving this exact cenote as my cenote check dive with this exact dive shop next month, it bothers me that these folks were found where they shouldn't be. Regardless of what the reasoning was.

While I'm not so cautious I'm not going (and of course one can argue that diving here will be at it safest for the next little while), I was taking a number of precautions anyway: check dive @ home, perhaps a reef dive there, my own backup dive light. For those that have done these dives, what additional precautions (aside from unhelpful ones such as "don't go" or "get cave certified before you go") would you consider?

At this point, one thing on my mind is a compass.

I'm glad you are still planning to go as Chac Mool is an amazing dive! As far as precautions go, I think it may be as simple as sticking to the plans listed in this thread and (hopefully) given to you by your guide... basically, stay near the guide line and don't go past the grim reaper signs. There are quite a few twists and turns along the way, so I'm not sure how useful the compass would be... others that have done more dives there may have better input. By definition in cavern dives, you will always be able to see the light leading to the exit.

I have to say that this is concerning. As someone who is planning on diving this exact cenote as my cenote check dive with this exact dive shop next month, it bothers me that these folks were found where they shouldn't be. Regardless of what the reasoning was.

While I'm not so cautious I'm not going (and of course one can argue that diving here will be at it safest for the next little while), I was taking a number of precautions anyway: check dive @ home, perhaps a reef dive there, my own backup dive light. For those that have done these dives, what additional precautions (aside from unhelpful ones such as "don't go" or "get cave certified before you go") would you consider?

A compass is nothing a diver without experience should place any reliance on in this kind of setting. Very possibly an attempt to use one for navigation would be disastrous.

The guideline is ultimately your single valid navigational aid. Stick with your guide as long as he sticks with the line. If he leaves the line for some reason... well, the line got you where you are, so turning around and following it back will lead you back to where you started.

Backups of the important things are never a bad idea.

Neither is training for that matter-- cave certification is a big step, but cavern is not such a stretch compared to the trip itself.

Compasses can be quite useful on cave dives, but the cavern lines generally make big circles or loops, rather than following a tunnel in a certain direction, so I'm not sure how useful a compass would be on the cavern line. And if you're on the cave line, you're already in trouble.

The cavern lines are continuous -- there are no gaps or breaks in them, and they are generally yellow, thick line. If you maintain line awareness and do not cross any gaps, you pretty much cannot end up on the cave line.

For those that have done these dives, what additional precautions (aside from unhelpful ones such as "don't go" or "get cave certified before you go") would you consider?

I chose to get cavern certified first, but a good cavern course can mean a three day committment. I would suggest that working on your bouyancy skills is always good idea and good bouyancy is essential in the caverns. Practice the frog kick. Having a spare dive light in your pocket is an excellent idea. If you are using your own equipment, ensure that it is well maintained. A cavern is not where I would want to deal with an equipment problem as an OW diver. As already stated, stick to the dive plan and always stay close to the line. At some times and some places you may not easily see the light of the entrance, particularly if you are using a light as bright as a sun, but the line is always the way to the entrance. I also agree that you should not attempt to use your compass for navigation in this circumstance. Follow your guide and watch the line.

Chac Mool is beautiful; be safe and enjoy.

"We don't know if he got lost, or if one of the tourists wandered off, or if the line was cut as some reports state. I am sure they were scared once their air started getting low. Then they sucked down the tanks even faster. It appears the guide and the female ran out of air at the same place, giving the look that they were sharing air. This along with the fact that the gentlemen had already died I am sure caused even more issues and panic. "

The two OW divers should have been on new/full tanks. Perhaps even the dive guide. Using the rule of thirds, the divers should have been heading towards the exit by about 2000 PSI. That should not cause apprehension.

"We don't know if he got lost, or if one of the tourists wandered off, or if the line was cut as some reports state. I am sure they were scared once their air started getting low. Then they sucked down the tanks even faster. It appears the guide and the female ran out of air at the same place, giving the look that they were sharing air. This along with the fact that the gentlemen had already died I am sure caused even more issues and panic. "

The two OW divers should have been on new/full tanks. Perhaps even the dive guide. Using the rule of thirds, the divers should have been heading towards the exit by about 2000 PSI. That should not cause apprehension.
If they where lost and/or they thought they had too much ground to cover it could.
Maybe not so much for the guide, but for divers not experienced with the place quite possibly..

If they where lost and/or they thought they had too much ground to cover it could.
Maybe not so much for the guide, but for divers not experienced with the place quite possibly..

Possibly. But how does a competent cenote dive guide allow that to happen?

IMO with the information that I have and my experience as a cave instructor, this accident is the fault of the guide. He did not adhere to the rules that are to be followed as a certified cavern diver, let alone a guide leading open water divers. This accident occurred because of the poor decisions of ONE person.

Contact the dive shop and ask who your instructor will be and talk with that instructor, do your research and feel comfortable before taking the course.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 08:08 PM ----------

A compass is nothing a diver without experience should place any reliance on in this kind of setting. Very possibly an attempt to use one for navigation would be disastrous.

The guideline is ultimately your single valid navigational aid. Stick with your guide as long as he sticks with the line. If he leaves the line for some reason... well, the line got you where you are, so turning around and following it back will lead you back to where you started.

Backups of the important things are never a bad idea.

Neither is training for that matter-- cave certification is a big step, but cavern is not such a stretch compared to the trip itself.

Natural light is another big indicator of the exit.

If you want a summary of the cavern briefing that should be conducted before any cenote dive click on the link - Cenotes – A Unique Cavern Dive | Diablo Divers There are two pages to download just under the picture.

Actually I should talk with TSand M about making a sticky with the briefing outline that ALL cavern guides should be following.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 08:12 PM ----------

IMO, even with full 100's the open water divers had little chance to survive the dive when the guide took them off the line, past the warning sign and beyond natural light... heck at this point even the guide didn't know what way was out.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 08:14 PM ----------

I chose to get cavern certified first, but a good cavern course can mean a three day committment. I would suggest that working on your bouyancy skills is always good idea and good bouyancy is essential in the caverns. Practice the frog kick. Having a spare dive light in your pocket is an excellent idea. If you are using your own equipment, ensure that it is well maintained. A cavern is not where I would want to deal with an equipment problem as an OW diver. As already stated, stick to the dive plan and always stay close to the line. At some times and some places you may not easily see the light of the entrance, particularly if you are using a light as bright as a sun, but the line is always the way to the entrance. I also agree that you should not attempt to use your compass for navigation in this circumstance. Follow your guide and watch the line.

Chac Mool is beautiful; be safe and enjoy.

By the way, you worked really hard to earn your cavern certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom