Three divers lose their lives at Chac Mool in Riviera Maya. 2 Brazillian, 1 Spaniard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO with the information that I have and my experience as a cave instructor, this accident is the fault of the guide. He did not adhere to the rules that are to be followed as a certified cavern diver, let alone a guide leading open water divers. This accident occurred because of the poor decisions of ONE person.

i have mixed feelings about putting all the blame on the guide
yes, he definitely broke a lot of rules but why would anyone not trained for cave diving would even consider attempting it?
unless i misread, the two Brazilians were not certified for cave diving, please correct me if i'm wrong

so IMO this is a case where all three of them have some degree of blame to bear

yes, he definitely broke a lot of rules but why would anyone not trained for cave diving would even consider attempting it?
unless i misread, the two Brazilians were not certified for cave diving, please correct me if i'm wrong

The Brazilians thought they were going on a "safe guided cavern dive". From everything I have seen they did not think they were going to be going in to the cave environment. Without knowing anything about where you are going, many people will follow a trusted guide that they paid to take them only where they should be.

The Brazilians thought they were going on a "safe guided cavern dive". From everything I have seen they did not think they were going to be going in to the cave environment. Without knowing anything about where you are going, many people will follow a trusted guide that they paid to take them only where they should be.

From my experience just a couple of months ago.... it would be hard not to notice that you were going past the skull and cross bones signs.... also they should have been able to see the yellow guide line the entire time except for going thru the halocline if it was stirred up enough (I was the 4th person thru and it was quite blurry). I find it hard to believe that they had no idea they were off the beaten path. Just my opinion but I guess anything could have happened.

I chose to get cavern certified first, but a good cavern course can mean a three day committment. I would suggest that working on your bouyancy skills is always good idea and good bouyancy is essential in the caverns. Practice the frog kick. Having a spare dive light in your pocket is an excellent idea. If you are using your own equipment, ensure that it is well maintained. A cavern is not where I would want to deal with an equipment problem as an OW diver. As already stated, stick to the dive plan and always stay close to the line. At some times and some places you may not easily see the light of the entrance, particularly if you are using a light as bright as a sun, but the line is always the way to the entrance. I also agree that you should not attempt to use your compass for navigation in this circumstance. Follow your guide and watch the line.

Chac Mool is beautiful; be safe and enjoy.

Qnape - thanks for the comments. I'm a pretty big guy, so when we were setting up the dive plans I was asking about which cenotes would be best over and above any buoyancy challenges. Took a pass on Dreamgate for that reason. Fortunately, I'm a pretty good swimmer - my trip to state was courtesy of breast stroke so I've got the modified frog kick down. As much as I'd like a cave course (if I'm going, I usually go all the way), I simply don't have the time to fit it in. I'm in the Midwest (flat and dry), so finding places that even offer the course for a reasonable amount of coin is a challenge.

I've done plenty of spleunking, only with dry caves and lava tubes as opposed to wet. I'll still forego the compass, however, since it's only likely to get me in trouble rather than serve as a backup to the backup. To prep, we're also going swimming/snorkeling in Gran Cenote where I can familiarize myself with the environment before I even strap on a tank.

If you want a summary of the cavern briefing that should be conducted before any cenote dive click on the link - Cenotes – A Unique Cavern Dive | Diablo Divers There are two pages to download just under the picture.

Pez - thanks for this and your other comments. I have a habit of doing all my research and learning before I reach out to folks to ask for help. That way, I have do to the learning myself and then I get corrected later. The link was perfect. I'm also going to RTFM on some of the cavern/cave manuals on the plane. Not to make me think I'll know anything, but maybe I'll remember the odd useful fact - and distrust it unless I can remember the page.

We'll never know. Maybe the guide offered a "special tour", because the divers seemed to have such good skills. Maybe the divers offered the guide a "special tip" if he would take them somewhere nobody else gets to go. Maybe the guide had a brain fart and ended up on the cave line by accident. Maybe he chased a freaked out diver who was bolting the wrong way, and they all ended up in the cave. We don't know, and we will never know.

What I do know is that it is the job of a cavern guide to take untrained divers on a safe swim around the cavern line. The cavern lines are often gold line (which is rare in other parts of the cave in MX) and the number of systems used for cavern tours is limited, so it is quite possible for the guides to know those dives very, very well. One of the reasons the ratio is 1:4 is to make sure that the guides CAN retain control of their clients, and with only two divers, it really should have been possible. It is very difficult for me to see a way that this accident happened without some deliberate violation of the rules on the part of the guide, and he was the only person in the group with a professional responsibility to ensure that the tour was executed safely.

NOT AT ALL.

The divers were open water certified and they were not to be on a cave dive - they didn't need cave training for what they signed up for. They signed up for a guided cavern dive (aka a Cenote Dive), something that can be enjoyed safely by open water divers, if a qualified guide who knows the rules, adheres to the rules and conducts a thorough briefing has been hired to lead the dives.

When you hire an instructor to teach you a new aspect of diving, you TRUST that instructor to teach you the proper aspects of the dive and to explain all the rules and reasons for those rules... If the instructor does not teach you all aspects to complete the dive safely, you may not realize what the instructor had missed, thus putting yourself at risk.

The same with a guided cavern dive, if you are not explained the rules, you don't know what "safe" really is. You follow a guide that you think is GREAT, someone that comes across as an expert, someone that is likable and someone that you think is trustworthy and you have a great dive, never knowing that if some small problem would have occurred, your chances of a safe exit are next to nil.

This is why divers need to know what topics need to be covered prior to doing a safe cavern/cenote dive.

My opinions are my own, they are based on over 1800 guided cavern dives and my experiences teaching and guiding cave divers.

Dennis

---------- Post added May 8th, 2012 at 10:21 AM ----------

From my experience just a couple of months ago.... it would be hard not to notice that you were going past the skull and cross bones signs.... also they should have been able to see the yellow guide line the entire time except for going thru the halocline if it was stirred up enough (I was the 4th person thru and it was quite blurry). I find it hard to believe that they had no idea they were off the beaten path. Just my opinion but I guess anything could have happened.

If you were not told that you need to stay on the line and that you are not to pass a warning sign, ect ect ect. How would you know you are being lead to a place that is unsafe?

If you were not told that you need to stay on the line and that you are not to pass a warning sign, ect ect ect. How would you know you are being lead to a place that is unsafe?

I think the skull and cross bones is a pretty easy sign to understand and as far as staying with the yellow guide line.... that is listed on the rules right by the entrance to the cenote.

IMG_0421.jpg

what the Brazilians thought is pure speculation, we will never know what they thought and what they were told
the point is no matter who you think you diving with why would you go beyond the skull-and-crossbones sign, its universally known what it means

NOT AT ALL.

The divers were open water certified and they were not to be on a cave dive - they didn't need cave training for what they signed up for. They signed up for a guided cavern dive (aka a Cenote Dive), something that can be enjoyed safely by open water divers, if a qualified guide who knows the rules, adheres to the rules and conducts a thorough briefing has been hired to lead the dives.

When you hire an instructor to teach you a new aspect of diving, you TRUST that instructor to teach you the proper aspects of the dive and to explain all the rules and reasons for those rules... If the instructor does not teach you all aspects to complete the dive safely, you may not realize what the instructor had missed, thus putting yourself at risk.

The same with a guided cavern dive, if you are not explained the rules, you don't know what "safe" really is. You follow a guide that you think is GREAT, someone that comes across as an expert, someone that is likable and someone that you think is trustworthy and you have a great dive, never knowing that if some small problem would have occurred, your chances of a safe exit are next to nil.

This is why divers need to know what topics need to be covered prior to doing a safe cavern/cenote dive.

My opinions are my own, they are based on over 1800 guided cavern dives and my experiences teaching and guiding cave divers.

Dennis

please correct me if i'm wrong
-you need more than OW certification to go diving where there's an overhead environment
-my understanding is that when you go diving in a cenote you will have a view of the sky, no overhead environment

now if that is true why where they so far inside the cavern?
other question is why did they accept to go so late in the day?

it is very unfortunate that our society has taught us to be ignorant and complacent and blindly trust someone else with our own life because we can turn around and sue them if something goes wrong
the internet has everything imaginable and those that wish to be informed will have no trouble educating themselves

what i am getting at is that there was a point in that dive when the two Brazilians should have recognized that they are headed to an area that is off limits and had a choice to call the dive
of course this is still all speculation and we will never know the truth unfortunately :(
i strongly believe that everyone should continue to exercise their own judgement no matter how qualified you think the guide is, after all is your own life on the line

please understand that i am in no way trying to be a smart a**, just want to educate myself and express my own opinions in the process

-you need more than OW certification to go diving where there's an overhead environment
-my understanding is that when you go diving in a cenote you will have a view of the sky, no overhead environment

...what i am getting at is that there was a point in that dive when the two Brazilians should have recognized that they are headed to an area that is off limits and had a choice to call the dive
bold added

That is not correct. It is an overhead environment with glimpses of the outside here and there. A cavern is within the daylight zone. PADI considers a cavern to be within 130 feet from the surface while APSA apparently considers it to be 200 feet from the surface.

Regarding a point where the clients would know they were entering the cave, the darkness may or may not have been it. When I went the first time, our instructors were convinced that we were in cave because we were outside of the light zone, but cenote guides might argue that there was a tiny bit of light, as we have seen in this thread. The skull and cross bones is internationally recognized as a danger to stay away from. Many cenote divers don't notice or pay attention to the line that the guide is following - they just blindly follow and may not have noticed a jump and change to cave line.

There is no question, however, that within the cave where they were found, it would have been pitch dark and they would have passed the death sign. It is very unlikely that the clients would not have known they should not be in there. We will probably never know how they ended up in the cave, and who enticed or followed who, but each played some role in that final resting place.

what the Brazilians thought is pure speculation, we will never know what they thought and what they were told
the point is no matter who you think you diving with why would you go beyond the skull-and-crossbones sign, its universally known what it means

You have been incorrectly informed, as have a few open water divers that have been on a guided cavern dive.
It is recommended that the minimum certification for a guided cavern dive be advanced open water.

It should be explicit that you are in an overhead environment and may be as far as 200' / 70 m from the surface. This is even on the sign that you photo shows.

now if that is true why where they so far inside the cavern?
other question is why did they accept to go so late in the day?

Why where they that far into the cavern, because they trusted their guide and most likely their guided did not tell them the safety rules that they should follow to insure a successful exit from the cavern.

At the time they entered, there was plenty of light in the cavern zone.

it is very unfortunate that our society has taught us to be ignorant and complacent and blindly trust someone else with our own life because we can turn around and sue them if something goes wrong
the internet has everything imaginable and those that wish to be informed will have no trouble educating themselves

A lot you get out of suing someone when you are dead.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, I was once called the King of Cavern diving 8)

what i am getting at is that there was a point in that dive when the two Brazilians should have recognized that they are headed to an area that is off limits and had a choice to call the dive of course this is still all speculation and we will never know the truth unfortunately :(
i strongly believe that everyone should continue to exercise their own judgement no matter how qualified you think the guide is, after all is your own life on the line

please understand that i am in no way trying to be a smart a**, just want to educate myself and express my own opinions in the process

In my experience Divers put too much trust into the dive guide at the open water level or a guided cavern dive or even those that are full cave certified. Some of this is understandable, if we don't know there is a risk how can we prepare for the risk?? There has to be some competency in the professional that you hired and you trust that there is, until something goes wrong.

Here on Scubaboard there are many recommendations for instructors, guides and equipment, I have made some of those recommendations myself. I recommended a regulator after just 3 dives, it was my 2nd set of regulators I purchased and I thought I loved them on that first weekend. However I didn't have much to compare them to when I made the recommendation that they were a great set of regs. After another 6 weekends of diving, I decided that they were the worst set of regs in the world. My point is that without a good baseline to judge those regs, I really didn't make a good recommendation, but I am sure someone else read my review and purchased a set of those regulators based on what I said.

Before we make a recommendation for a guide or an instructor, know what we are basing the recommendation on. He was a great guide, because of what???? The Tacos you had, because they came across as an expert, because they set up your gear, because you had a great dive??? The recommendation is based on your experience with that person. What we need is a check list when we make a recommendation:

Was a dive brief completed and did it contain all the points that a thorough brief should have (or was it about 15 seconds)?
Was the predive safety check preformed?
5 point descent?

ect
ect
ect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom