Three dead and one in recompression chamber in Italy, Tuscany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I am grateful for your conveying the links along with your summations as google translate still confuses me - altho I can see that they did not dive deep after all, did not ascend quickly after all, and the same CO PPMs are still listed. Truly, with tanks all over 1600 ppm, it wouldn't take long to lose consciousness even at shallow depths.

Why do you object to accepting news reports that continue to confirm CO and disallow AGE since they didn't get deep nor do a fast ascent? Just stop it, please. I do not like asking Mods to take actions on threads. Thank you.

Are you daft? I recognize it was CO I'm amazed anyone could survive breathing CO at 1600 @20M/3ATA for more than 5 min.

Are you daft? I recognize it was CO I'm amazed anyone could survive breathing CO at 1600 @20M/3ATA for more than 5 min.
Whether I am daft or not is often subject to debate, but anyway - I did not understand that you now accepted it was CO. I don't think the new information says how deep they go? They may have passed out quickly and in shallow water, then just taken some time to float up? If it happened to me, I'd sink, as I go in negative.

it wasn't CO if it had been, the survivor would not have improved from recompression and he would have gotten worse and died

We will see who the fool is when the report comes in, you say (with absolutely zero evidence besides the presence of a fatality) that's it's CO. I say uncontrolled ascent and resultant DCS/embolism.

I recognize it was CO

:whistling:...one of these things is not like the other...:whistling:

:whistling:...one of these things is not like the other...:whistling:

Well, to be fair, in my first post I hadn't read the article at all and in my second, I was just musing that levels of CO that high should kill almost instantly at depth (40m was stated).

Sometimes I'm right, and sometimes I'm not wrong. This is the latter.

Post removed as inappropriate due to the tragic nature of this thread.
I am sure there will be other opportunities to let 2cold4california what I think.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, in my first post I hadn't read the article at all and in my second, I was just musing that levels of CO that high should kill almost instantly at depth (40m was stated).

Sometimes I'm right, and sometimes I'm not wrong. This is the latter.

The problem is that not only were you wrong, but you called someone a fool for being correct. Not sure what that makes you, but a wise one might take that as a lesson in humility.

wow, now it's their own fault because they were italians. Sometimes i have to remind myself of how stupid people can be. One would also have to wonder how people like Genoni, Pelizzari, Maiorca and lots of others can do what they do or have done... At over 100 dives i wonder how i can be still alive, must be the fact my mother is half german... *wonders*

Anyway...
The analysis on the compressors will be done on the 11th of Sept.
I'm trying to see if i find some more detailed information on the analysis done on the gases, but i'm not sure if it has been released or even if it will (can) before the end of the investigation (not a lawyer over here).

The analysis on the compressors will be done on the 11th of Sept.
I'm trying to see if i find some more detailed information on the analysis done on the gases, but i'm not sure if it has been released or even if it will (can) before the end of the investigation (not a lawyer over here).

I understand that the boats small compressor complete with filters and air intake hose are back with Bauer Italy,

Its unlikely that Bauer will disclose anything officially, last time with a similar CO death they only made public to "confirm" user error and the wrong (non hopkalite) filter cartridge used.

Pictures below just to outline scene. Vessel approaching, coast guard and recovery etc,

That looks like an O2 deco bottle on the dock - presumably being impounded as part of one of the dead/injured divers' gear? How do you get to the point where you're using 100% for deco diving and miss the part about analyzing your tanks for CO?

Recreational divers who think they can flee to the surface in the event of a problem, OK, I kind of get their either not being aware of the risk in the first place, or, thinking it's so small and usually manageable by a simple test breath or two at the surface and in the worst case usually survivable in medias res by feeling off and heading up. But tech divers should know better. What are you going to do if one of your deco bottles tastes funny when you have a bunch of deco left...just blow it off and head up?

From what i got the bottles weren't filled on the boat, and the analysis was done by a third party, which is where i wanted to ask... tried contacting a lawyer who is a freidn to get some info about the possibilty of getting such information but he didn't answer.
Tomorrow is the day of the compressor analysis, maybe something will be on the papers on friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom