Three dead and one in recompression chamber in Italy, Tuscany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google translate gives me some ideas, but not clear understandings. I really appreciate the personal translation reports here.

Sensorcon has them back in stock. Cabon Monoxide Scuba Tank Analyzer I paid $169 + shipping and the sensor is good for at least 2 years.
I have the basic model I have been playing with, not the scuba kit, but it looks like a good one. They suggest calibrating it once or twice a year, but they have a cheap service for that - and I think maybe they send exchange units out first so you are not without, but I have not confirmed that yet.

I purchased the sensorcon scuba analyzer. It comes with a delrin DIN plug and a yoke adapter. It seems like a very well built unit, though I have nothing to compare it to other than the analox oxy sensors.

Dive shops and boats that fill Nitrox have O2 analyzers so the customer can analyze their tanks. What can we do to make it industry standard for them to have a CO analyzer out for customer use also? I'm not in favor of regulations, but a little pressure from the insurance carrier....

Getting the dive shops and boats to have CO monitors available won't happen unti the divers themselves are aware of the issue and risks and start to demand it. I have done my part by posting a link to this thread on Facebook in several places. There have already been several reposts from local divers.

When I brought my CO analyzer to the parking lot, many asked me "where are you going to get a bad fill here in California?" I didn't have a ready answer except what I remember reading here on SB. This means I still have some education to pursue, but do they? Is there a good source where I can read and print out how a compressor might allow CO into a tank even if it is "whiz-bang"?

Dive shops and boats that fill Nitrox have O2 analyzers so the customer can analyze their tanks. What can we do to make it industry standard for them to have a CO analyzer out for customer use also? I'm not in favor of regulations, but a little pressure from the insurance carrier....

Getting the dive shops and boats to have CO monitors available won't happen unti the divers themselves are aware of the issue and risks and start to demand it. I have done my part by posting a link to this thread on Facebook in several places. There have already been several reposts from local divers.
Inline CO monitors are good for the businesses so they don't send out tainted tanks, but a diver still needs to check his tanks for a number of reasons. Keeping the pressure on the operators by checking the tanks and exposing the tainted ones will encourage them to do better quality, but I don't know if I'd trust them to keep their tank testers calibrated? At the current rate, we can't get many to own CO tank testers. :idk:

When I brought my CO analyzer to the parking lot, many asked me "where are you going to get a bad fill here in California?" I didn't have a ready answer except what I remember reading here on SB. This means I still have some education to pursue, but do they? Is there a good source where I can read and print out how a compressor might allow CO into a tank even if it is "whiz-bang"?
California is probably safer than many other destinations, but it could happen there. Mistakes happen, and the only way to know is to test every tank - as boring as that gets. It's also good training to keep testing at home so you will on trips, and be able to.

i'm here not doing speculation but only to add the news link, and try to translate a bit from italian to english, cause i'm italian and cause i really feel sad for this tragedy.

http://www.umbria24.it/sub-morti-la-verita-dai-loro-pc-non-erano-scesi-neanche-a-40-metri-l11-la-verita-dai-compressori/313154.html

from the data of dive computers:
they didn't reach 40 mt how some people, journalist said in the past.

the news say that the three divers were diving just from few minutes before the CO killed them.
the computers exclude a fast ascent.
next thursday will be the exam on the air tank compressor to know how the co got into the tanks.

i'm here not doing speculation but only to add the news link, and try to translate a bit from italian to english, cause i'm italian and cause i really feel sad for this tragedy.

http://www.umbria24.it/sub-morti-la-verita-dai-loro-pc-non-erano-scesi-neanche-a-40-metri-l11-la-verita-dai-compressori/313154.html

the news say that the three divers were diving just from few minutes before the CO killed them.
next thursday will be the exam on the air tank compressor to know how the co got into the tanks.

Boo I want AGE reroll.

Where is the coroners report on PDF this is 2014 and we still can't figure out how to run a compressor safely??

At least if it was fast ascent/stupidity we could just blame the Italians who are notorious for such snafus.

Edit: Italians are at fault somehow I promise

Italians are at fault somehow I promise

The divers were Italian, the tanks were from and filled in Italy, the dive occured in Italy...I think your point is as obvious as it is irrelevant. When Americans die from CO in American-filled tanks while diving in America, it's Americans who are "at fault somehow"...but most people are intelligent enough to get that's not particularly useful information.

Boo I want AGE reroll.

Where is the coroners report on PDF this is 2014 and we still can't figure out how to run a compressor safely??

At least if it was fast ascent/stupidity we could just blame the Italians who are notorious for such snafus.

Edit: Italians are at fault somehow I promise

maybe i got it wrong, but i feel racism on your word,
what does nationality mean in a diving tragedy?
please pay respect for the victims.

btw in italy not pdf of report, maybe after investigation by police and trial in court, we will know all the true.

And I am grateful for your conveying the links along with your summations as google translate still confuses me - altho I can see that they did not dive deep after all, did not ascend quickly after all, and the same CO PPMs are still listed. Truly, with tanks all over 1600 ppm, it wouldn't take long to lose consciousness even at shallow depths.

Boo I want AGE reroll.
Why do you object to accepting news reports that continue to confirm CO and disallow AGE since they didn't get deep nor do a fast ascent? Just stop it, please. I do not like asking Mods to take actions on threads. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom