Thread size on older steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a pair of PST LP 95s with an original hydro date of 1994 that I am looking to double up. Does anyone know the tread size on the valves?

I think the two possibilities are 3/4 unf and 7/8 unf. I found a good deal on a 7/8 unf manifold and I'm not sure if it fits or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

3/4" for the LP95's. The plus is that 3/4" is WAY more common so it should be easy to find a manifold. Speaking of which I have an OMS manifold for sale. If you're interested PM me.

Jim

The only tanks that ever used the 7/8” UNF threads were the 3500 psi (HP) tanks.
All other Scuba tanks in the US have used the ¾”NPS straight pipe thread (in the last three decades).

You will find more information on this link:
Valves, Regulator Fittings, Cylinder Neck Openings -- More than you wanted to know

Look down under the title: Cylinder Neck Threads and SCUBA Valves.

The only tanks that ever used the 7/8” UNF threads were the 3500 psi (HP) tanks.
All other Scuba tanks in the US have used the ¾”NPS straight pipe thread (in the last three decades).

You will find more information on this link:
Valves, Regulator Fittings, Cylinder Neck Openings -- More than you wanted to know

Look down under the title: Cylinder Neck Threads and SCUBA Valves.

Thank you for the very interesting link Luis, but….that is almost everything I wanted to know about tanks and valves. Why is, "The 3/4 NPS opening is visibly larger than the 7/8 UNF opening." and "a U.S. quarter coin will fit through the 3/4 NPS cylinder neck opening but will not fit through the 7/8 UNF opening."

0.875>0.750

Tanks,

c

Why is, "The 3/4 NPS opening is visibly larger than the 7/8 UNF opening." and "a U.S. quarter coin will fit through the 3/4 NPS cylinder neck opening but will not fit through the 7/8 UNF opening."

0.875>0.750

Tanks,

c

7/8" UNF (Unified National Fine) is a bolt thread, that is to say that the major diameter of the thread is approx. 7/8 of one inch. The 3/4" NPSM is a pipe thread (National Pipe Straight Mechanical) and just like other pipe threads, like NPT, the dimension 3/4" refers to the I.D. of the pipe it would be used on.

Hope that explains it,
Jim

What Jimmer wrote is correct.

The major diameter of the threads on a ¾” NPSM is a bit larger than an inch (about 1.06” if I recall correctly).

Back
Top Bottom