Thread problem switching to new posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there are two separate issues here. UsryTregre seems to have a problem with the last page not working, while me, and I believe the OP krawlings have a problem with all pages after the first.
For me, for any page in a thread higher than page one, as soon as the page finishes drawing, it immediately jumps back to page one and draws that instead. So if I want to see any posts past the first page of a thread, I ned to read fast...

Post 20 Now, let's see if it posts page 3, when there isn't one. Ya'll don't post if you see page 3, okay? Leave it for Howard.

Hmm - no page 3. Maybe it is only on pages into the 3 digits? Like the lionfish thread?

Maybe it's because there's deleted posts in that thread?

I have my view set to 20 posts per page as well.

Like I said, "please post links to specific threads"

If more people were having this problem, I'd be hearing about it... yes?

As recommended in the other thread I started, I tried it in Windows, in Firefox 3.5.4. I get the same problem. Something that may help narrow it down is that I only see this when I am logged in, with my preferences set to show 50 posts per page. If I log out (presumably with the default number of posts) I don't see this problem. I am wondering if there is some type of timeout being triggered because of how long it takes to load all 50 posts, so the code may be assuming a failure of some sort...

If only 3 members are having this problem; it makes it very difficult to trouble shoot. Is it EVERY thread? Can you provide links to specific threads if there are only certain threads?

I have had it several times over the past year or so but it is not a consistant problem. I honestly figured it had something to do with an "ignore list" member. It was always just a sporadic problem affecting only a couple random threads.

I will keep watch for a fix but it is not a serious issue for me (for now).

As recommended in the other thread I started, I tried it in Windows, in Firefox 3.5.4. I get the same problem. Something that may help narrow it down is that I only see this when I am logged in, with my preferences set to show 50 posts per page. If I log out (presumably with the default number of posts) I don't see this problem. I am wondering if there is some type of timeout being triggered because of how long it takes to load all 50 posts, so the code may be assuming a failure of some sort...

Is it with ALL threads?

I have had it several times over the past year or so but it is not a consistant problem. I honestly figured it had something to do with an "ignore list" member. It was always just a sporadic problem affecting only a couple random threads.

I will keep watch for a fix but it is not a serious issue for me (for now).

This is what I'm thinking, there are some other possibilities with deleted posts, and/or people who may be on universal ignore.

This is what I'm thinking, there are some other possibilities with deleted posts, and/or people who may be on universal ignore.

Of course this could not possibly apply to someone like me :rofl3:

:popcorn:

Your comment about 50 posts just reminded me of a vaguely similar problem seen on at least a couple other forums running different versions of vBulletin. With certain combinations of settings, thread display had intermittent problems of one form or another if a user's posts per page setting was greater than 30. The exact form the problem takes was consistent within a forum, but may have been different on each forum. I'm not sure whether or not it happened with every single long thread on those boards, but Threaded and Hybrid display modes were somewhat more susceptible than Linear. The problems on other boards were independent of platform (Mac/PC), OS or browser. I even have the vaguely memory that I may have recreated a variant of the problem here on SB at least one or two years back, but could be imagining things.

The practical solution is to set your default number of posts per page to 30 or less (or possibly Forum Default, if it's normally 30 or less). Minimizes effort for SB's busy admins.

acwest, out of curiosity, which display mode are you using, Linear, Threaded or Hybrid?

I was having this problem and my posts per page has been 10 since joining (until yesterday when I changed it to 20). So, while this might have been an issue elsewhere on other boards, here on SB the problem will still happen with less than 30 posts per page settings. Again though, it is periodic but present none the less.

Your comment about 50 posts just reminded me of a vaguely similar problem seen on at least a couple other forums running different versions of vBulletin. With certain combinations of settings, thread display had intermittent problems of one form or another if a user's posts per page setting was greater than 30. The exact form the problem takes was consistent within a forum, but may have been different on each forum. I'm not sure whether or not it happened with every single long thread on those boards, but Threaded and Hybrid display modes were somewhat more susceptible than Linear. The problems on other boards were independent of platform (Mac/PC), OS or browser. I even have the vaguely memory that I may have recreated a variant of the problem here on SB at least one or two years back, but could be imagining things.

The practical solution is to set your default number of posts per page to 30 or less (or possibly Forum Default, if it's normally 30 or less). Minimizes effort for SB's busy admins.

acwest, out of curiosity, which display mode are you using, Linear, Threaded or Hybrid?

I was having this problem and my posts per page has been 10 since joining (until yesterday when I changed it to 20). So, while this might have been an issue elsewhere on other boards, here on SB the problem will still happen with less than 30 posts per page settings. Again though, it is periodic but present none the less.

Same here - 10 per page. Doesn't matter if you click the "number" of the next page, or the ">" symbol . . . it just refreshes the current page.

Again - it seems as if the page count is incremented after the 10th (or whatever last) post, but there really isn't a "next" page.

This is the last time I'm going to ask

"IS IT ALL THREADS OR JUST SOME THREADS?"

It is extremely difficult to troubleshoot a problem that

1) doesn't effect everyone
2) is hard to replicate
3) I get unclear information as to what the actual problem is.

If it's not all threads: Please provide LINKS to the threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom