Thoughts on using this light with a GoPro HD2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MobileMike

Registered
Reaction score
I am borrowing this light:
UK AquaSun eLED Dive Light discounts on sale UK Lights

and I want to use it on a Manta Ray night dive. It is not designed for video, though I'm thinking of somehow attaching a GoPro HD2 to it.

1.) Any thoughts on using this type of light for this?
2.) I'm guessing the light will be harsh, does anyone have any suggestions for how I might diffuse the light?

Thanks.

You might be better off getting a whole bunch of cheap dive lights (think 20-30 bucks each) and slap a diffuser on them.

can you recommend some cheap dive lights from Amazon (I could do Prime delivery before my trip) and a diffuser?

Thanks.

can you recommend some cheap dive lights from Amazon (I could do Prime delivery before my trip) and a diffuser?

Thanks.
If you search for "cree dive light" then you should get some good results. Just skip the plastic ones. You can find them even cheaper on eBay. However, most of them ship straight from China, so delivery might take a little (long) while. When is your trip?

I leave next Wednesday :-(

1. Could I get by with a couple of these? Amazon.com: Lerway 800lm Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Waterproof Underwater Diving High light Lamp 18650 Flashlight Torch: Sports & Outdoors

2. What do you use for a diffuser?

Thank you.
Stay away from those plastic (green/yellow) ones. I have two of them, they both died within 10 minutes of use. I managed to fix them up, but that's not a purchase I would recommend. This kind is much better: 1800 Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED Diving Dive Flashlight Waterproof Torch Light - Amazon.com

Despite the widely varying luminosity ratings, they all produce around 900-1000 lumens. They generally take 18650 batteries, so you'd need to get those and chargers too (capacity ratings are wildly inaccurate too). Even cheaper on eBay: 1600 Lumen Cree XM L T6 LED Flashlight Diving Torch Light Waterproof 100M 2122 | eBay

But again, be wary of the slow shipping! In some cases I've waited almost 2 months for the stuff to arrive.

As for diffuser, any camera flash diffuser that fits the flashlight should work (e.g. Ebest - Puffer Pop-up Flash Diffuser, White: Amazon.ca: Electronics). Not with professional quality, but good enough. Some DIY work to mount it onto the lights would be required. But again, the slow shipping is probably not gonna work out with your schedule.

Similar options exists for more video-dedicated lights (but at a higher price), such as 1PC Diving Flashlight ARCHON D32VR CREE XM L U2 + XP E N3 LED Most Powerful 32650 Battery Underwater Diving Led Torch-in LED Flashlights from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com but again, the slow shipping is probably gonna kill you.

Maybe someone else has a better/cheaper suggestion that would work within your timeframe.

Post a review after you have tried them out. Burn time of 70m on high is good.

How would you apply the diffuser paper over a light? Or would you put it inside over the bulb?

Thanks.

Stay away from those plastic (green/yellow) ones. I have two of them, they both died within 10 minutes of use. I managed to fix them up, but that's not a purchase I would recommend. This kind is much better: 1800 Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED Diving Dive Flashlight Waterproof Torch Light - Amazon.com

Despite the widely varying luminosity ratings, they all produce around 900-1000 lumens. They generally take 18650 batteries, so you'd need to get those and chargers too (capacity ratings are wildly inaccurate too). Even cheaper on eBay: 1600 Lumen Cree XM L T6 LED Flashlight Diving Torch Light Waterproof 100M 2122 | eBay

But again, be wary of the slow shipping! In some cases I've waited almost 2 months for the stuff to arrive.

As for diffuser, any camera flash diffuser that fits the flashlight should work (e.g. Ebest - Puffer Pop-up Flash Diffuser, White: Amazon.ca: Electronics). Not with professional quality, but good enough. Some DIY work to mount it onto the lights would be required. But again, the slow shipping is probably not gonna work out with your schedule.

Similar options exists for more video-dedicated lights (but at a higher price), such as 1PC Diving Flashlight ARCHON D32VR CREE XM L U2 + XP E N3 LED Most Powerful 32650 Battery Underwater Diving Led Torch-in LED Flashlights from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com but again, the slow shipping is probably gonna kill you.

Maybe someone else has a better/cheaper suggestion that would work within your timeframe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom