thoughts on the atomic aquatic t3 and scuba pro s620ti ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't mean buying used equipment.
The man himself had caught the bug on restoring vintage SP regs over last few yrs. And he has got many threads to prove that. I am pretty sure he even mentioned on occasions that he wouldn't expect to recoup the expenditure ie. spare parts.
Hobby = priceless.
The pride is the end product.

I have older Scubapro regulators also. For second stages I have 108, 109, 156, Air 1, D400, R190, R380, G200B, G200, G250, G250 HP, G500. For first stages I have MK-2, MK-5, MK-7, MK-10, MK-16, MK-17, MK-20, MK-20UL. I also have some Apeks as well as their Zeagle and Beuchat cousins.

They really don't cost crazy money to update and once updated they perform nearly as well as a new regulator, sometimes better. The old metal second stages uses the same parts kits as the newer ones so nothing much has changed except the case. An A700 is over $500 US. You can buy a load of metal seconds for that amount of money. Where it gets expensive is when the rubber products need to be replaced, usually these are "basket case" regulators that I won't bother to restore.

You should ask the owner of the dive shop if you can dive one of his collection, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

You should ask the owner of the dive shop if you can dive one of his collection, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
The guy has bigger collection than your. The regs are nicely packed in a special carton for display. Using it probably is not a big issue but the subsequent cleaning and drying is something else. So I won't bother.
I am more than happy with my Apeks.

what are your thoughts on the atomic aquatic t3 and scuba pro s620ti? what would you classify as your top 3 overall reg sets?

I actually faced the same choice that you ponder today. I went with the Scubapro, as it has a slightly smaller second stage and an easier purge button to depress. However, I was less than impressed with the machining quality of the Yoke clamp. For the price of that regulator, you shouldn't see any machining imperfections, which you could see on both of mine (yes I bought two sets). The DIN connectors, however, are quite nice and super light. I actually like the square turning knob.

I still own Atomic regulators (Z2 & M1). The Scubapro & Atomic units breathe nearly the same. I think the Scubapro is slightly lighter but I cannot definitively tell. There is a difference in the acoustic of the breathing cycle from the inhalation and exhalation. Neither is better, just different (Atomic has a slightly higher pitch). A fully detuned Scubapro breathes with great difficulty, while I can still breathe very comfortably from a fully detuned Z2 or M1. By detuned, I mean that the knob is at max resistance.

Last edited:
I'm bringing those 2 regs on my 10/4/17 trip to Costa Rica/Guanacaste/Bat Islands (Aggressor).

Scubapro MK 25 (EVO), S620 Ti / S600 octo
Aquatic Atomics T2, M1 octo

Installing Shearwater Perdix AI (wireless transmitter) / Cochran Gemini AI (wireless transmitter) on both units tonight so both will have identical computer set ups. Getting everything tuned/programmed this weekend.

Haven't yet decided which reg set will be my 'primary' and which will be 'back-up'. :)

I have some AA reg, including Ti and some SP reg. it is really a flip of coin in performance aspect. Which one can you get local support easier? Which one is lower cost?

if all are equal, I will probably go for SP because you can get support anywhere in the world. AA not as easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom