Thoughts on my trim/frog kick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking good. Glad you noticed the asymmetrical kick before you develop a habit. (An old injury perhaps?)

In support of your goal to improve, I'd recommend trying to add task loading. Trying to do something while holding trim and proper propulsion is a new challenge.

The second thing I noticed is your kick cycle seems very fast suggesting you're not gliding and as a result wasting efficiency that way.

Beyond that, keep at it! It's enjoyable to see people playing with their diving.

Are you headed towards cave diving?

Cameron

Hey Cameron,

Not sure about Cave, although I have poked my head in to a few caverns and found them fun. So far I am interested in getting more training to do wreck penetration diving. In terms of my knee, I've never had an injury to either...and don't want to start! Like you and others have mentioned, slowing the return from the power stroke to the loading stroke should help improve my kick efficiency some by taking more advantage of the glide phase of the stroke. Next time I dive I will try this out.

May I ask you how you attached the camera to record you ?

Also how deep is this pool ?

I am thinking of recording myself to improve as well after watching your video.

Right now I am AOW certified, does Intro to tech/fundies require Rescue first? I was planning on taking Rescue this Summer as it's usually offered then through my dive shop.

The only hard requirement for fundies is pure OW. If you are shooting for a tech pass, then I would add to the requirement that you should be comfortable with buoyancy management of the drysuit. I wasnt when I took fundies - fundies was my 5th dive in a drysuit and I struggled like never before to say the least. Still managed a rec pass, but could have been done in an easier way ;-)

In general I'd always advocate taking fundies as early as possible. In my fundies class, we were 4 students. The most experienced diver was a divemaster with >600 dives, and the least experienced and open water diver with 20 dives. The DM struggled the hardest, and the OW diver performed best. It can be very hard to unlearn bad habits ...

May I ask you how you attached the camera to record you ?

Also how deep is this pool ?

I am thinking of recording myself to improve as well after watching your video.

Hey Blue, the other chair not seen in the video I stuck a few weights on it and then rested my GoPro up against the back of it. If you don't have a plastic lawn chair like I do you could rest it up against one of the pool's walls. The pool is about 12' to the bottom.

Kyle

Hey Blue, the other chair not seen in the video I stuck a few weights on it and then rested my GoPro up against the back of it. If you don't have a plastic lawn chair like I do you could rest it up against one of the pool's walls. The pool is about 12' to the bottom.

Kyle
Thanks for the reply and nice video :)

Hi all,

I've been reading the helpful posts on this forum and one of the recommendations that I read previously was to get a photo/video taken of yourself while swimming to help identify opportunities for improvement.

You have a fantastic attitude that will serve you well in getting the most out of any course you end up taking and also with mentors. I am also biased towards GUE Fundamentals, and it will help you refine your skills and challenge you with new skills and being able to handle task loading.

You don't need Rescue to do Fundies, just an o/w certification. You can do it with a single tank (recreational rating) or in doubles (technical rating). Nitrox can be covered in Fundies (rec and tech) as well as some rescue if you are doing it in doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom