Do the video/photo divers use more gas than the other divers in the group?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure Squintsalot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's been my sense that getting decent footage and photos, especially macro, requires more energy than just floating along with the current 10 feet off the reef, lazily frog-kicking once every 8 seconds. I often find myself having to surface sooner than the rest of my group, often to the point that I'll notify the DM before getting in the water, that I'll likely surface before everyone else, even if I'm using a 15L bottle vs. everyone elses 12L bottle.

What's been your experience with gas usage (as a video/photo person) compared to the other divers?

Photographers generally want to stay still and concentrate on small areas. They need to be good at that skill if they want good pictures, therefore will practice and be very relaxed.

Compare that to someone mooching around the wreck/reef finning all over the place.

Would put money on an experienced photographer having a very low SAC (surface air consumption).

I tend to use more air when I have a camera. I'm a vacation diver/photographer who does 2-3 trips a year.

Compared to your normal, it should be less.
You would be moving around quite less, if not still for most of the time and I found slow, rhythmic breaths gets the spook easy critters more trusting. Slower breathing also helps with keeping you still while hovering for a shot.
I'm not sure why it would be more...

From many of the dive videos I see on YouTube, some divers move around more than the animals they are trying to film. There is already enough movement between the water, algae, and animals without adding to it with camera movement.

I use about 10% more gas if carrying my large camera, I believe because of hte increased drag while swimming around.

As usual, it depends! While I agree, one should be as still as possible for underwater photography and videography when pressing the button, it depends how "target rich" the environment is. If there isn't much to shoot, I'll be covering ground. For pelagics and even reef fish, it is often a question of putting oneself in position so the fish come to you, this involves a little finning. Note, I'm not talking about chasing fish. That is one way to guarantee lots of **** shots of fishes' arses!

I certainly burn more gas. I'm trying to get better at this, but the camera seems to take all my attention. I have to force myself to look at my computer and SPG and evaluate my breathing rate. I need to fix that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom