Thoughts on Mares Hybrid Pure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mares Hybrid Pure MRS+ was my first BCD when I got it after getting certified with OWD back in 2014. Been using it as I grow in this sport all the while without fail - only cherished memories all the way. Lightweight yet capable BCD, I must say. Only replaced it with a BP/W last year (thanks to SB's incessant recommendation of the Hog setup) and sold the Hybrid Pure (oxymoron?) to a fellow Divemaster Trainee - it will serve him well, as the BCD only have minimal wear.

I think Mares replaced it with the Bolt.

So, this may seem like an odd question, but: would it be possible to remove the waist strap on the Mares Hybrid Pure and replace it with a longer strap? I really like the features of the BCD and am leaning toward picking it up, but I'm concerned that the strap may be a little too small for me on the largest size.

So, this may seem like an odd question, but: would it be possible to remove the waist strap on the Mares Hybrid Pure and replace it with a longer strap? I really like the features of the BCD and am leaning toward picking it up, but I'm concerned that the strap may be a little too small for me on the largest size.
I will take a look at mine and take some pics when I get home. At first thought, i dont think it would be an issue to replace it, but will confirm.

Also - this BCD is not made anymore. If you really want a Hybrid Pure vs the current Mares range, I would be willing to sell my L/XL at a fair price. I have kept it around to lend out to friends but have been shedding a lot of my spare gear to free up some space around the house.

Also - this BCD is not made anymore. If you really want a Hybrid Pure vs the current Mares range, I would be willing to sell my L/XL at a fair price. I have kept it around to lend out to friends but have been shedding a lot of my spare gear to free up some space around the house.

LeisurePro claims to have some left in stock. If it turns out they don't have any by the time I'm ready to buy, I'll likely take you up on that!

LeisurePro claims to have some left in stock. If it turns out they don't have any by the time I'm ready to buy, I'll likely take you up on that!
So I took a look at my Hybrid Pure and the waist strap seems like it should be an easily replaceable piece of 2inch webbing. The should straps are not easily replaceable.

That being said, some of the leisure pro pics do not look like my hybrid Pure. It seems theirs may have a more cummerbund type waist strap instead of just the webbing.

That being said, some of the leisure pro pics do not look like my hybrid Pure. It seems theirs may have a more cummerbund type waist strap instead of just the webbing.

Thanks for taking a look. I've noticed some discrepancy in what people are actually calling a 'Mares Hybrid Pure' BCD; looks like people might be confusing the Mares Pure and the Mares Hybrid Pure. Did you have the Pure, or the Hybrid Pure?

So in this link from leisurepro, pictures 1 and 2 are actually different versions of the hybrid Pure. I have the version from pic 1, with the standard 2 inch webbing. Pic 2 has the attached padded straps onto which the weight pockets are threaded (I do not know if this version is easily replaced). Too add to the confusion, there is a 3rd version with a swivel connection on the shoulder straps and a non-foldable "backplate".

The one I have here is actually a M/L, although i might have to see if my brother and I got ours switched, or I may have been mistaken on the size.

I have also been eying this BC for awhile. I have been debating between this and going BP/W.

I think I will hold out for thanksgiving sales before deciding.

It is good to see some good reviews of this BC on SB.

@CaptainPanda From your other post I know that you (like myself) are a big guy, so you may want to keep an eye on each BCD's weight capacity (the amount of lead weight their weigh pockets can hold). From the specs of the Hybrid Pure: "The Hybrid Pure is equipped with Mares MRS-Plus 13 lbs. (6 kg) Mechanical Release System in Medium, Large and X-Large".

For a big diver, especially when new, 13 lbs. may not be enough for you to be able to submerge. For example, I'm 250-260 and it takes me 16 lbs. with a steel 100cf tank in freshwater, and it takes me 24 lbs. with an aluminum 100cf in saltwater -- all when I'm wearing a 5mm wetsuit (diving in just a swimsuit I can do 20 lbs. in saltwater). I believe your other post said you were around 300 lbs., so you may need more weight than me. Lots of factors figure into it, but I'd be worried that 13 lbs. would not be enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom