Thoughts on ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was trained, it was with a small class. We did the sunburst pattern - three large lines away from the ice hole (a 6' triangle) with arrow barbs on the lines pointing back towards the hole. The hole was large enough to let all divers surface at the same time.

When diving, we secured the rope to an ice screw. The line tender then held the line as well. We lock into the rope using a carabiner. Usually it's one person per line, but when diving w/ a lot of people we will put two people on a rope using a "Y".

The safety diver is suited up and sitting in the hole. He is attached to a line that is twice as long as the regular divers. That way, if he needs to search, he just goes to the end of his line and then runs in a circle. He should be able to catch the "victim" on his sweep.

I've had up to six people in a whole before. This is usually when we have two people on a rope, for a total of three ropes in the water w/ one safety diver.

Personally, I've been leaning towards treating an ice dive like a cave dive. Tie my line to an ice screw on the surface. Make a secondary tie off to another ice screw under the surface, next to the hole. Make a tertiary tie off/wrap to a bottom feature directly beneath the hole. My reasoning for this is some severely bad experiences w/ tenders...I find that they either aren't doing anyting with the rope, or they are doing too much.

I've ended up w/ 80 feet of slack line before when coming back towards the hole. Reassuring if I were to have an emergency and needed attention. On the opposite side, we did a deep ice dive - to the point of being right on the edge of deco (we didn't want to do deco diving under the ice...too cold for the extended exposure). Starting our ascent, all of a sudden I noticed I was going sideways. Next thing I know I'm going up. I'm getting pulled towards the surface from 120 feet and NEEDING a stop and slow ascent. But nope...I get pulled clear up to the hole and the tender is surprised and goes "what are you doing up here?". I was not happy. A fast ascent and no stops. I had actually considered unbuckling the rope from my harness so that I could get a proper ascent - this was at about 60 feet of depth w/ at least 100 feet of viz, and I could see the hole (and the tender...) from where I was...but I didn't want to send them into absolute panic on the surface. So I really fail to see the benefit of a tender - they are either trying to kill me or won't be any help if I need it anyway.

In addition, we always dive w/ a partner, we dive h-valves or doubles, and we are cave trained. We are used to depending on ourselves for self rescue in an overhead. As long as we are using a proper guideline, what would be the harm???

I haven't done it yet though, because the groups that we ice dive w/ are usually just recreationally trained and would bar us from diving w/ them like that. They want the typical ice diving rules followed...

Omicron:
I haven't done it yet though, because the groups that we ice dive w/ are usually just recreationally trained and would bar us from diving w/ them like that. They want the typical ice diving rules followed...
Same problem here. There is only one other diver in the local area who is tech inclined and I catch enough heat from most of the local self appointed "experts" for my tech configuration and tech training already. To suggest an ice dive would be safe absent a 1/2 line, harness and tender would be regarded as heresy.

We do have a local dive rescue team that ice dives once or twice a year, but again they stick with conventional standards, and worse, they have no real training standards, dive infrequently and consequently have very poor skills in general. Ice diving is a lot less fun when the first guy down bounces off the bottom repeatedly and screws up the near perfect visibility.

I haven't taken an official Ice Diving course and don't plan to. I think having ropes and tenders is just way too much of a risk. I ice dive with a local crowd and we dive an area that we are all familiar with. We run a single line to the underwater structure, and then dive. If we want to head away from the structure we will tie off to the anchor point for the ascent/descent line and away we go. Otherwise we stick to the structure that everyone is very familiar with. We dive this way and there is no compromise on safety. We all dive redundant air sources - twins with isolation, or stage bottles for the single tank divers among us. We pay close attention to our equipment and maintain very good buddy contact. We have gas management and maximum time rules laid out as well.

I think the real difference comes into who is going ice diving. Most the courses are taking with recreational gear, no tech training (overhad environment), single tanks without redundancy...

This would explain the general course layout to be done as it is.

I took my ice course from PADI - the "usual" :)

fairbanksdiver:
This is how my shop takes care of the redundant air source while under the ice...

Tell me this isn't STUPID.

PADI, of course.

-B.

Do you know for a fact that this was this only redundant air source that they used?

If so, they have deviated from the PADI manual. I took an Ice class from the man, Todd Smith, who wrote the PADI Ice manual (first published 1990) and the PADI Ice Diver Instructor Specialty Course Outline, which remains the definitive instructional tool on the topic.

Get a better LDS.

Unless we're counting the alternate 2nd, this is it. I looked through the pictures on their photo gallery, and couldn't find any other air source. None of the pictures show pony/stage bottles, or divers in doubles. You can see the Spare Air mouthpiece in about half of the pictures.

I had also overheard in the shop last time I was there, that this was the "easier" option for ice diving.

I'm not going under the ice with someone who's using one... that's for sure.

-B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom