Thoughts on AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the question is "reliable enough" not "as reliable as a good spg." I think AI is clearly good enough for most applications - meaning that if you see the utility for yourself, the reliability difference is no biggie as long as you've been thoughtful about it.

But "as reliable"? No way. I'm not saying "no" to AI, nor do i or anyone else have peer reviewed statistics, but be serious. The failure of either the transmitter or the computer by flood, dead battery, bad oring, dumb DM unscrewing it instead of tank valve, etc... I've seen far more issues, most trivial and solvable to be sure but still issues, with AI than SPGs even though the sample of AI is much smaller.

I'd also keep at least a button on first stage with AI if for no other reason than being able to get a tank pressure when setting up. It's a PITA to have to fetch and power up your computer just to see if you got a full cylinder.

I am clearly in the camp of "at least as reliable as an analog SPG."
I do keep a gauge on my regulator for a quick pressure check when changing tanks but my computer is on my wrist and I would just need to turn it on. I rarely use it other than that. I keep waiting for the AI to fail but it hasn't happened yet. If it does fail I will know as soon as I check my pressure. If my analog gauge fails it is much more subtle and I will need to check it against another gauge to be sure.
I have seen transmitters being unscrewed because they look like a tank knob and that is why I have a strict don't touch my gear rule.

It’s a lot less stressful to spot an SPG that’s showing signs of giving out at the surface and do something about than it is having an AI randomly **** out at 45m in the back of a wreck.
Just sayin...

To me it's about reliability, it's about the chance it will fail. Statistically speaking AI is much more complex than an SPG. So odds are it will fail statically speaking more frequently than an SPG. Would this lead to serious problems?

Losing an SPG or AI shuold never lead to an issue. Never ever. So why not use AI if you want to? Even in Tech diving.

AJ:
Losing an SPG or AI shuold never lead to an issue. Never ever. So why not use AI if you want to? Even in Tech diving.

Just because I have the ability to deal with a failure safely does not mean it is a non-issue. I can deal with many failures safely. I still do my best to minimize the risk of their occurring. If for no other reason than I don't want to have to sit a dive out or turn it prematurely.

That said, I can see the advantage of AI in sidemount, particularly if your setup otherwise makes it awkward to check SPGs. Fine, no problem. There is a concrete gain there. And, I don't think the reliability difference is so profound that I'm against AI in all cases. I haven't ever felt that need, but YMMV and I won't criticize.

I'm just suggesting that like many things in technical diving -- you have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision. But sidestepping that analysis by pretending AI is "just as" a reliable as an SPG is not, in my opinion, a reasonable thing to do. It isn't.

Obviously I don’t have one ( yet) I just dive an old VYPER with a console. But I am curious all this battery talk , what do they take for batteries? Obviously it’s user replaceable?

Obviously I don’t have one ( yet) I just dive an old VYPER with a console. But I am curious all this battery talk , what do they take for batteries? Obviously it’s user replaceable?

yes user replaceable
Take CR2 batteries
and use 013 orings

neither of which are terribly common so you'll want to take a spare set with you, but I got 100 of the 013 o-rings on amazon for $8, and the CR2's last long enough that you just carry a spare with you on the offchance it dies.

yes user replaceable
Take CR2 batteries
and use 013 orings

neither of which are terribly common so you'll want to take a spare set with you, but I got 100 of the 013 o-rings on amazon for $8, and the CR2's last long enough that you just carry a spare with you on the offchance it dies.
Thank you sir! Do both take the same battery?

AI all the way: possibility to check the pressure along with all the other data, having real time SAC, having GTR, and have the data to analyze after your dive (having an idea of your air consumption, where you do consume more and why..).
It's not essential but it's a very cool feature and after I have tried it I wouldn't buy another computer without it. I still use my SPG for redundancy.

Just because I have the ability to deal with a failure safely does not mean it is a non-issue. I can deal with many failures safely. I still do my best to minimize the risk of their occurring. If for no other reason than I don't want to have to sit a dive out or turn it prematurely.
True, I should have said "should not lead to an emergency". Not knowing how much gas I have to me is a minor faillure. Noting life threathing as I can guestimate remaining gas quite accurately and this kind of faillure means aborting the dive in a controlled manor. To me AI is as good as an SPG as long as it's as reliable compared to a SPG. I don't buy one because it's too costly, but that's an whole other discussion.

I just use an spg, recreational or technical. Never had an issue after 5 years of diving, and I think it cost me $55 when I bought my gear. I never spend any time worrying about or maintaining it either.

I don't dive SM so no input on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom