Thoughts after donning ones first wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I received my very first wetsuit today (A gift I hope to use many times over).

As it is my first I had never put one on before. I had read the Scuba Knowtes info, and had seen a few threads on SB about other folks having gone through this for the first time.

It was near 80 today and I was drenched in sweat prior to getting it up to my waist. I struggled mightily just to get the knee pads to line up with my knees. I got the suit to my waste and thought I was home free. In reality it had just begun. I fought hard to get one hand in and then to quasi straighten out my arm. Had a friend help me get it up over my shoulder and would never have goten my other arm in had I not had help. Once I was MOSTLY in there was far more adjusting to do that I had expected. Once done there was no way I was getting it zipped by myself. Maybe in the future but not this time. For the record I have more respect right now for all of you that have pulled this off, especially those that do it solo. Once in my suit though I realized a few things. First, I don't care how you are built you will think you are either A. a super hero, or B. a Ninja once in skin tight neoprene. I also learned that with the assistance of the suits elasticity I felt a bit like the bionic man, when I would stand from a sitting position I nearly left the ground, clearly the suit was cooperating. One would not want fight me while wearing this. I mean in the off chance that I could wind up to throw a punch the suit would enhance my power and make me into Mike Tyson circa 89. The other thing I realized is that a 7mm suit is thick, thick enough to keep you warm in 50 degree water here in the NW, it also appears to be warm enough to make me think I was going to pass out while running around the yard today. I stayed in it an hour, I walked, I ran a bit, jumped up onto a bench to see if I could. The answers were all positive, although at this rate I will lose some much needed weight and the suit will not fit me by the time I get to use it. Now I just need to get into my cert class.

wetsuit003.jpg

Ah, yes,.... the good ol' neoprene dance:D. Glad I no longer have to worry about that. You'd just love that thing down here. Try dressing for a deep, cold water dive in 95+ degree weather. Fun. You'll sweat as much as you're talking about, just putting the suit only. From what little I could make out of the picture, it looks like a decent fit.

I stayed in it an hour, I walked, I ran a bit, jumped up onto a bench to see if I could. The answers were all positive...

Why on earth would you do those things? Do you plan on doing that stuff instead of diving? Most people DIVE with wetsuits, and rarely do any of the things you mention. Certainly not on land.

In "the real world" you should put the suit on at the last minute, gear up, and get in the water. Save the running and jumping around for some other sport.

Oh, and a spray bottle of hair conditioner (25%) and water (75%) works wonders for donning a wetsuit. Spray the inside liberally right before you put it on.

Donning the right wetsuit when everything is dry is not hard. Donning it when it is wet is usually easy too. However if you happen to be a little sweaty which most would be doing what you did indoors it can quickly get difficult. When things get sticky the suit snot RJP described saves the day avoiding stress for you and your suit. I often use it on my arms and shoulders just to make tings go smooth.

Be careful about getting too hot in that suit, your dive can quickly get off to a bad start that way. I keep 1/2 liter bottles of tap water in the back of the van. I'll pour one or 2 down my neck when I feel the heat building. This will draw excess heat from your torso while wetting out the inside of the suit. The upshot is that you will enter the suit with warm wetness already in there preventing the entry of ocean water, If you wait until your weight belt is on it will slow the fall of the water and really provide great relief as you make your way to the water. The same thing can be a lifesaver if one buddy gets ahead of the other is gearing up. A cold water wetsuit and hot sunny day should not be taken lightly.

You seem to be describing a rubber band effect that sometimes means the suit is a little small but you also describe good range of motion. I think you will find that the rubber band effect goes away when you get in the water or pour water into the suit. The internal water will let the suit slip into a more normalized fit.

Another effect you had is getting pumped up. When you are doing this for the first times and working things out the exertion will tend to pump your muscles up a bit and exacerbate an already difficult situation. Take your time and make it a stress free process and it will help. Letting this get out of control can put you in a world of hurt as you proceed to do 75+ pounds of gear and head for the water.

As soon as you get the rest of your personal gear I suggest that you begin some local skin-diving in open water while going through the course.

Watch out for the Kryptonite,
Pete

thanks folks, the suit may in fact be a bit small but I fear the bigger size would be too roomy as far as the running around stuff. Mostly to be funny really (my neice thought I looked like an "old fat uper hero") but lso as I have never dived I wasn't sure how much motion I would want, so I tried some things and found I could move around pretty good. THanks for your responses folks. Today I actually plan on getting into Lake Washington with it on wooohoooo.

One thing that I do that helps is to turn the suit inside out and roll it on like a condom.

There are two additional methods that you might try;

1. Place a plastic shopping bag over your hand(s) prior to sliding your arm(s) into the sleeves.

2. The blow job method - Have a partner/friend/whatever, blow air into the sleeve once you have inserted your arm a short way. Like blowing up a balloon. This expands the volume of the sleeve and allows you to pull the sleeve into position (Grip on the shoulder).

I love to see the other divers faces when I ask my wife for a blow-job on the dive deck and the laughs when they realise what I am on about.

Best Regards

Richard

One thing that I do that helps is to turn the suit inside out and roll it on like a condom.

Great idea, I will have to try that....

next time I put a condom on. LOL

Good ideas folks, I think I can do it solo but not without a workout. I am going to put it on today and just go swim around in the lake to get a feel for it.

I wear a lycra skin under my wetsuit. Helps quite a bit.

went much much smoother today, got it on and ready to be zipped solo and with relatively little swearing, crying, or throwing of items. Still haven't got it zipped solo, flaps seem to be uncooperative, but that is my next goal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom