This should be sticky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. Lots of names and organizations that I recognize. Very impressive.

Ayisha:
Wow. Lots of names and organizations that I recognize. Very impressive.

It is very impressive, and i am not a woman, but I am married to one, and fathered one, although she is not quite a woman yet. I was even given birth by one, although my wife sometimes begs to differ.

After all of this, I still do not understand women. No woman has anything to prove in my eyes, yet they always seem to be trying to prove. I worked for a woman once who ended a sentence with: "can you believe a woman actually accomplished all of this?" as she gave me a tour of the business. I was shocked. Why would I not believe it? That set the tone not only for our relationship, but for then philosophy of the whole orginization. It eventually failed.

I don't want my daughter to have to look at a specific group of women and say impressive. Sorry.

ub, that is the way things should be, but that is not necessarily the reality everywhere, even today.

What is impressive about this members list is that most of these women were pioneers in their time - so obviously it was a particularly challenging accomplishment and contribution that they made to their field.

Put these women's accomplishments in perspective to their historical place in time, many of them in the middle of the last century. Even the more current members are still achieving "firsts". That sadly tells us that there is still a glass ceiling in many areas...

Ayisha:
ub, that is the way things should be, but that is not necessarily the reality everywhere, even today.

What is impressive about this members list is that most of these women were pioneers in their time - so obviously it was a particularly challenging accomplishment and contribution that they made to their field.

Put these women's accomplishments in perspective to their historical place in time, many of them in the middle of the last century. Even the more current members are still achieving "firsts". That sadly tells us that there is still a glass ceiling in many areas...

I am as sexist as the next man, maybe more so. I love women. Pioneers, for sure they were. I notice you quote BF Skinner. I have a first printing. It is a shame we can not admit our addictions to sex and still notice what people accomplish. Perhaps that is owed to behaviorism, but that is not current thinking for learners.

As long as any group, be it women, african americans, etc, adhere to the past, there will be no advancement.

To think mankind will give up sexuality is unrealistic and fatal. You can only hope that we will ALL, male or female, learn to appreciate what people contribute. Grouping tends to make this less likely.

Ayisha:

Agreed! Most of the women who are recognized in this group were way ahead of their times! In the middle of the last century, women weren't expected to be anything more than wives and mothers.

My mother was the only child in a very upper middle class family. She graduated high school in '58. She was very smart and wanted to go to college. She was told that girls didn't do that. They went to secretarial or nursing school until they found a husband and started having babies.

Much later she did eventually get her bachelors and masters!

Fun reading through that

Hillary Hauser wrote for our paper in Santa Barabara

Back
Top Bottom