"This one time, in Cozumel...."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggun's story made me think of this one time, in Cozumel, I needed to get ahold of some medication called Posipen (Dicloxacilina). I needed it either because of the dental work I was getting done or because of diving related ear problems (intelligent design, my ass!). I had the list of what I needed on my laptop instead of writing it down like a normal person would do, so I had to commit it to memory. By the time I got to the counter at San Francisco, I could barely remember the name of the medication I needed. Apparently what I asked for and what I actually needed were two very different things. I could tell by the sudden burst of laughter and darting eyes from the lady behind the counter. Doing my best to remember the name of the pills I was after, I had asked her what sounded like "do you have pose-PENNAY" (instead of PO-see-pen). It didn't take long for me to figure out that I had just asked this nice lady if she had any, erm, "parts of the male anatomy" in stock.

I, too, show reckless abandon in my attempts to impose bad Spanish on the willing residents of Cozumel. After one particularly decent evening conversing with a waiter in his native tongue, he congratulated me for my good language skills. I looked up at him and with a huge smile replied:
"Yo trago!" (I try!). He looked at me rather oddly and cautiously stepped away.

Unfortunately a later examination of the dictionary revealed that what I had REALLY said was:
"I Swallow!"

I, too, show reckless abandon in my attempts to impose bad Spanish on the willing residents of Cozumel. After one particularly decent evening conversing with a waiter in his native tongue, he congratulated me for my good language skills. I looked up at him and with a huge smile replied:
"Yo trago!" (I try!). He looked at me rather oddly and cautiously stepped away.

Unfortunately a later examination of the dictionary revealed that what I had REALLY said was:
"I Swallow!"
:shocked2: :rofl3: Poor guy must of thought you were propositioning him... :blinking:

Two years ago I took my then 18 yr old daughter and her friend to Coz. Both of them I needed or felt I needed to protect from the amorous Mexican hot blooded boys. How stupid of me to take them during Carnival. Pheromones are everywhere. Well one night the girls wanted to go to the plaza all by themselves convincing me it was absolutely safe and that no boys had tried anything so it was cool for them to go there on their own. I am a confirmed moron now.
I told them they had to be back by midnight. ha. At midnight I put my clothes back on, or should I say clothes that I would not be restricted in while punching out Mexican boys. I stormed down to the plaza with words of encouragement from my wife, 'honey the jails here suck so dont do anything stupid.' Well I looked all over for them at the plaza getting madder and madder. All these kids rocking to this boy band on stage and I couldnt find my daughter and her friend. I was worried now and furious. Well one more tour of the plaza. I still had not looked too hard at the stage. On the last pass I looked up to the stage and there they where, on the stage dancing with the boys from the band. NOW how in the $ell was I going to beat the guys up in front of 4000 people. I had to wait until the show was over. After the last song I went back stage, the stage crew tried to keep me out, somehow they got the message my girls where back there. When I got to them, Caitlyn, my daugther got all smiley with me and said, 'Daddy I want to introduce you to the guys, you where in a band when you where young you have so much in commom.' They barely spoke English, and I knew what they where after. And it wasnt english lessons. Never the less I suggested we go home now. I will never take my kid anywhere again. She is way too good looking for my heart to deal with. I'm glad she got married recently. He can look after her now. By the way she is the one on the right in my picture of the two girls and me, her friend is the other.(personal profile page) That pic was taken the night I was going to go gangsta on some mexican boy band and loose my freedom. I did have fun the next night when they convinced me to go down to learn salsa.

Since I haven't been able to get to Cozumel this year and I might not, I'm currently suffering serious withdrawls and Mexico vacation envy. (Hard to go from 3x a year to nada.)

I'd rather be reading about all the fun, crazy and unique things we've seen and done both below and above the water then the petty spats and nonsense that are starting to dominate the board.

So let's have some fun. Finish the sentence and feel free to include photos!

"This one time, in Cozumel ___________" :popcorn:
Okay, so this one time in Cozumel, I got drunk at Carlos n' Charlies and my undies ended up on their clothesline. I'd still deny it, but hubby has pictures.

Not just this one time, but many times over the last year. . .

I've had the pleasure (and it truly was) to dive with, hang-out at the surface interval, or meet around town, many of the posters on this board. . .

And to date, excluding the dive shop owners and professionals who post here, only one person has been able to put the person with the screen name. . .

So, I know lots of your "This one time, in Cozumel___________" stories firsthand!!!!:nailbiter::nailbiter: :nailbiter::nailbiter:

Ok, so one time in Coz on a night dive to Paradise, my buddy and I had lagged back to keep out of the circus of lights going every which way and to enjoy the dive. Some of the other divers included a surgeon and her partner that we had been diving with for the last few days. My buddy and I surface finally, and make our way to the boat as the last of the other divers are climbing on board. We both grab the stern to bow line, and my buddy casually begins to remove his fins, weights ect, and hand them aboard. I am floating blissfully enjoying the warm night, the calm water, and the great dive...kinda in a trance. Gradually I become aware of a noise that doesnt fit with the normal sounds....a retching noise. I look up, and above and in front of me the surgeon is seasick and ralphing over the side of the boat, upcurrent from me. Needless to say, I realize I was bobbing in upchuck!! Im trying to push my buddy up the ladder, telling him urgently...get in the boat, get in the boat. He doesnt know what is going on, and is still taking his time. Finally he gets it, and climbs in the boat and I get out of the bobbing stuff. Later, at La Choza, over Negro Modelos, we laughed our butts off. Especially him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom