"This one time, in Cozumel...."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since I haven't been able to get to Cozumel this year and I might not, I'm currently suffering serious withdrawls and Mexico vacation envy. (Hard to go from 3x a year to nada.)

I'd rather be reading about all the fun, crazy and unique things we've seen and done both below and above the water then the petty spats and nonsense that are starting to dominate the board.

So let's have some fun. Finish the sentence and feel free to include photos!

"This one time, in Cozumel ___________" :popcorn:

My wife was following a squid at Columbia deep and got inked. Funny as hell

Thought you were going in December!

So, my husband & I are walking home around midnight after visiting friends near the sports complex on the south side when we hear a man call out "Senor" and our last name. The shout out came from the driveway of a home where a large family was celebrating a birthday party. We walked over to say hello and were ushered into chairs, handed cervezas, offered dinner and cake. We stayed for over an hour, talking to two of the men who spoke English -- they were taxi drivers -- and they introduced the rest of their family. When we got up to leave, one of the taxistas again called us by name. On the way home, I asked Pancho, "How do you know those guys?" He responded, "I don't. I thought they were friends of yours!"

Gotta love Cozumel!

Thought you were going in December!
I thought so too.... but DH's ear seemed to have it's own agenda. Dec is up in the air right now. :shakehead:

That's a great story!

deeper, that one would make a great photo! :rofl3:

...before my wife started diving, we did the Fury Catamaran thing a couple of times, (cattle boat), we were running late for the snorkel trip and had to stop at the dive shop at La Ceiba to pick up snorkel gear for her, as she didn't own her own set yeat and didn't ant to use the stuff provided by Fury.

We were running late, neither of us being morning people, and we still had couple blocks to walk to get to the Fury's pier, she was a little anxious, after all we had already paid for the thing, and was urging the young man behind the desk to hurry up in a somewhat excited manner...

...he just looks at her, plane as day, and says, "Relax lady! You are on vacaton!"

...I nearly p**ed my pants!:rofl3:

at the time she was not so amused, but since then it has been one of our favorite Cozmel stories.

My wife and I were trailing the DM and other divers in a really strong current, with my wife maybe 20 feet behind me. I turn around to see where she is and now she's 60 feet or more behind me holding onto the sand with one hand and wiggling her other fingers under her chin giving me the signal of Toadfish. So I turn around and start kicking like hell against the current to get back to her. Then I feel one of my fin straps come off (I probably kicked it during my furious kicking). I didn't want to lose my fin but I also knew in that current if I stopped kicking for just a few seconds to fix it the current would pull me back away from her and her find. So I prayed that the tight pressure of my foot would stay in the fin pocket (it did), but now I'm sucking air like crazy and thinking the whole time as I kick to her "I'm going to be so pissed off if she got her signals mixed up and it's anything but a Toadfish". Finally I reach her and sure enough it was a Toadfish. To this day she is still proud of herself for finding it on her own. The only pic of it I got is below and is not that good, the current was so strong I just couldn't position myself enough in front of it. I was concentraing on the Toadfish and not getting blown away in the current that I never even saw the arrow crab near it until I looked at the photo. We later told the DM we found the Toadfish and he said "Yeah I saw it too but in that current I figured it was too hard to get people to stop for it".

This also gave me a reason to remind my wife that in strong current she can't lag behind me so much, that if something happened to her I might not be able to get back to her fighting against the current.

IMG_1568.jpg

Sharky -- Ja, ja, I love it! I can hear it exactamente: "Reelax Lay-dee..."

This one time, in Cozumel...

We were out on a fishing boat with an old friend with whom we had been fishing for many years. He had brought his daughter along and she and my mom were attempting to converse, though neither could speak the other's language. My mom tried to tell her that her father was a very good fisherman, so she said "Su papa esta un muy grande pescador" (roughly translated, your potato is a very large fisherman). The look on the little girl's face was priceless.

My wife and I ate at la Kinta with a couple from CA we met on the dive boat. Had a great dinner and good conversation with this couple. Left the restaurant and were walking back to Hotel Cozumel and had reached the southeastern corner of the plaza when a young waiter came running up with my wife's purse. We were 2 1/2 blocks away when he found us among the crowd. Really appreciated that and we him let him know it. Love Cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom