This looks like it's going to be fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be nice to see the financials. Maybe it's there somewhere, but I like to know how much of the contributions go to the cause and how much goes to overhead. I am not suggesting anything, but I just prefer a little more disclosure from a non-profit. Everyone make up,their own minds on this.

The project does loom interersting.

I watched it last night on PBS and thought "What a great idea". I'd read about the Vandenburg before, but had no Idea that they were sinking other ships. Way Kewl!
oops, It was a different organization and show I watched. The one I'm thinking of sunk 3 ships off the coasts of Florida.

Last edited:
Sinking ships to create reefs is somewhat controversial ["junkpiles on the ocean floor"] but seems like a good idea where natural reefs are lacking or non-existant. Dunno if I'll ever get to Portugal tho'....

Even if you don't contribute, you'll get to dive the location, I imagine.

For me, going to Portugal is closer than most diving locations, and 4 such large wrecks should be very cool to dive on. I just hope that local schools don't start dropping newbies into those wrecks. It's one thing to do a swim-through on a 10 meter wreck where you can see out all the time, quite another to start puttering around inside these beasts.

I've spent some time helping to prepare the HMCS Annapolis for sinking ... including doing a survey dive of its projected resting place. There's a helluva a lot of work and money needed to prepare these ships for sinking ... between removing virtually anything recycleable or harmful to the environment, cleaning the ship (bilges and fuel tanks are especially nasty), and making it reasonably "safe" for diver penetration.

The Annapolis has been a work in progress for about three years. They were hoping to put it down this past week-end, but a last minute snag had them putting it off until next month.

CIMG0706.jpg

This part's going to be especially fun for divers ...

CIMG0724.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The chairs will be a novel addition to the wreck ...

They're already gone ... during our workdays that was where we'd break for lunch when it was too cold to sit out on the flight deck ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The chairs will be a novel addition to the wreck ...

I bet they float :rofl3:

Personally I like the idea, we have three small ships deliberately sunk off the east coast of UAE in different locations and at various depths from 20M to 30M, all were support vessels in the oil and gas industry and not much more than 20M in length.

The life on these wrecks is incredible after 10 years underwater.

I for one might make a trip to Portugal to dive the wrecks once the second one is in place, plus it appears that there are quite a few other places to dive there that I was not aware of.

Back
Top Bottom