This has got to be one of the lamest questions ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am thinking of taking up scuba diving and was wondering if it is possible to not use goggles in salt water. Or will it burn worse than clorine?

You need a mask for various reasons, leave the goggles at home. I'll leave further explaination to the more experienced divers.

by the way - welcome to the boards

Uh, well, um, yup you sure do need a "mask". Think if it this way, would you drive a car down a highway in the rain without a roof or windscreen? Oh I'm sure it could be done, for a short while, just to prove it can be done. But how long will you last?

Simple answer, No mask, No vision.

You will need a mask. I've snorkeled without one and you really can't see well at all, so scuba diving without a mask would not be very enjoyable at all.

Can you? I suppose, but I wouldn't want to do it.

during your training. While it doesn't happen often, it is possible for a mask to be kicked off or fail. Discomfort to the eyes will bew minimal. But careful control of breathing and self-rescue techniques will be required.

... the real problem isn't water up the nose...
it is equalizing the air space around the eyes!

If you couldn't blow a little bit of air out of your nose into your mask it would squeezed down... acutally your eyes would squeeze out from the pressure transmitted through your head...

Hey.... we could call you Popeye!

Not to mention the potential for water up the nose. The mask seals your nasal passages and face and eyes against the water. You can breath ok with a regulator without a mask but the mask ensures you are safe against nose breathing tendency.

Your eyes are designed to work in air. Water is much denser
so anything you'll see would be blurry. By adding a layer of air (trapped between your eyes and the mask lens) your eyes can correctly focus under water.

Googles can't be used because, without an integrated nose piece, there is no way of clearing the mask of water if they leak.

shellbird,

If you aren't totally and completely at ease with no mask breathing, you need to practice the skill. I had students in their 1st pool session tonight - they have no mask breathing mastered. They will get more practice as the class continues.

A mask is the easiest option for clearing vision underwater. We can not see clearly underwater because images do not focus properly on the retina. This is the same reason some of of can't see clearly when we are not in the water. Lenses could correct our vision underwater without the use of a mask, but it's not a very practical solution. Salt water will burn your eyes until you get used to it.

Your Local Dive Shop is an important stop for you since you can try a number of different types of masks that will give you the feel your looking for and address all the obvious issues raised above. Check out the Cressi line for better perimeter visibility, and a bunch of manufacturers have low volume types, venting vs non-venting. Don't under estimate the importance of this relatively inexpensive piece of your diving gear - just ask anyone who has gone on a dive - without a "save a dive" kit - and broken a mask strap and had to scrub a dive for himself AND his buddy.

Back
Top Bottom