This guy is strange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've seen this same fish on a few dives now at Marineland in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, but can never coax him out of his burrow. He has barbels on either side of his upper lip and yellow cat-like eyes. His head is about 1 1/2 inches wide. I'll try to get a better picture today. Anyone have an idea what it is?
10404_1148935526_SV500003.JPG

10404_1148935526_SV500004.JPG

10404_1148935526_SV500010.JPG

Hey MBT,

Although this was taken in the pacific and I dive in the carribean it does look similar to the snake eel family. Theses guys bury themselves in the sand with eyes and snout exposed to ambush their prey.

hope it helps

ad

Definitely a snake eel but can't tell the species w/o seeing external markings on his body. Gonna have to do a night dive to see the whole critter :) Good luck!

Sarah

wow, neat fish

(no clue what it is)

Cool. How big is it?

Yes, everyone is right, it is a snake eel. There are more species of snake eel in the Indo-Pacific than in the Caribbean, so until you get to see more of the slippery critter, it is going to be difficult pinning down the exact species. Good luck!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom