This came by the shop today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg,

Thank you for that information; although I know most of it, the rest of the readership will enjoy the details. Concerning the DX Overpressure Breathing regulator, I have one and dive it regularly. I had it out about three weeks ago on a dive where I hurt my back (muscle bruise, it turns out, from my twin 45s and weight belt hitting on the same place during my exit). I'm healed now, but was hurting for about a week. But concerning the DX, it is a wonderful regulator when modified. I have changed the hoses to SCBA hoses, which are very long (about 28 inches). I also have a vinyl inner hose (the green rubber one had disintigrated). I have never had a "run-away" venturi from it. The venturi is comparable to single hose venturi's like in the Scubapro second stages (the older, metal ones). If USD had used a slot instead of three holes, they could have eliminated one of the complaints about misting water hitting the diver's mouth hard. It is also a very quiet regulator, because of the hose-within-a-hose concept. The cans have been chromed (although, unfortunately, I chromed over the name plate too). It has a longer Mistral yolk, and a gauge attachment (what is that thing-a-ma-jig called again--I must be getting old--that was my Dad's name for anything he forgot :wink: ). I have always thought that it could be resurrected by setting it up on a Mistral with a hose to the curved mouthpiece, a metal attachment in the middle of the mouthpiece and a slot like on the Scubapro single hose second stages. I just haven't had time to do it, and now with the balanced single stage you talked about, it probably won't happen unless I get bored.

The Voit 50 Fathom does have a second hole, in the top, which also feeds air into the cans. This also was used (different form) in the USD DX, DY and Mistral. I think it is left over from the DX, actually. But much of what I say is simply speculation, as I have no contact with the design engineers.

Greg, the gear now is better than new thanks to these kinds of discussions, and the input from people like you. Thanks again.

SeaRat

BTW, I had a chance to dive an experimental balanced single stage regulator about a month ago. It was simply incredible. The reg had a cracking effort that was so light that the duckbill had to be carefully fitted to avoid a free flow while vertical in the water column. If it makes it to production, a lot of people will desire one. It truly is balanced, as there was no perceptible difference in the breathing effort with changing cylinder pressure.

Greg

I had to de-tune the venturi effect some before you got to try it. At first if you try to breathe too hard, it would deliver so much air that some would by-pass the mouthpiece into the exhaust. The harder I took a breath, the more wasted air out the exhaust. It was kind of funny to try to out-breath it, but I had to fix that.

I have been diving it a lot and it has been performing great. One dive a couple of weeks ago was to 98 ft and it performed great. No noticeable difference with tank pressure or depth.

More later.

Sorry about of topic…

It has a longer Mistral yolk, and a gauge attachment (what is that thing-a-ma-jig called again--I must be getting old--that was my Dad's name for anything he forgot :wink: ).

Could you be thinking of a thing-a-ma-banjo doo-hickey?

Uh oh, Luis is tinkering again.....last time this happened we got the phoenix nozzle.

We may have this century's Emile Gagan in the making.

I had to de-tune the venturi effect some before you got to try it. At first if you try to breathe too hard, it would deliver so much air that some would by-pass the mouthpiece into the exhaust. The harder I took a breath, the more wasted air out the exhaust. It was kind of funny to try to out-breath it, but I had to fix that.

I have been diving it a lot and it has been performing great. One dive a couple of weeks ago was to 98 ft and it performed great. No noticeable difference with tank pressure or depth.

More later.

Sorry about of topic…

Luis,

Put a baffle plate in the mouthpiece, like the one that Healthways used on their later model double hose regulators. Actually, the Healthways baffle plate will fit into a USD/Voit curved mouthpiece; it just needs to be cemented into place. That way, you can have the venturi without having to detune it. I've done that on my Trieste II, and it works great--no blow-by.

SeaRat

Luis,

Put a baffle plate in the mouthpiece, like the one that Healthways used on their later model double hose regulators. Actually, the Healthways baffle plate will fit into a USD/Voit curved mouthpiece; it just needs to be cemented into place. That way, you can have the venturi without having to detune it. I've done that on my Trieste II, and it works great--no blow-by.

SeaRat

Thanks for the suggestion, but there are several reasons I didn’t go that route (although I have considered it).

I guess I should not have use the term de-tune. I should have said tune it “just-right”. :D
I like a regulator that breathes with miniscule effort, not one that force feeds you air. I don’t particularly like the way the Overpressure breathes or for that matter many of the piloted assisted regulators.

I also prefer to design around as many standard parts as possible. A modified mouthpiece is not a standard part.

There are of course trade-offs with that philosophy, but there are always trade-offs on every design. I followed this same philosophy while designing the Phoenix and it is working out well. Backwards and forward compatibility is important; IMHO, it is part of the reason for the long time success of US Divers and Scubapro.

At this point the performance on this regulator has exceeded all my expectations.
Note: As a single stage it still only has limited applications (it will not feed my drysuit :) ).

Last edited:
Well, I'm looking forward to giving it another try on Saturday. I dove it a few months ago and it ate air wanting to free flow on any deep breath.

There's ways around the Drysuit issue Luis. I do it all the time in Lake Michigan. Thats the real reason why double post manifolds were created. Looking forward to the developements of your new creation!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom