Third reef at airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been meaning to do this dive for a long time - ever since the dive where Tim and I played like bait on the anchor line of my kayak at 100' while being dragged out to sea. But that's a different story. David and I had finished a lengthy but dissapointing dive at Oalwalu and decided to head north. Mala looked wiped out but airport seemed OK. We agreed to try to find the legendary "third reef" off airport beach. Legend has it that it is out there at about 95'. Every time we've tried to find it we get stuck playing with the lion fish on the second reef or some such nonsense. This time would be different. We did a surface swim to the start of the second reef, then dropped down to find a significant N-S current. OK we crabbed a bit to the north and travelled beyond the halmeda to the unknown. After about 15 minuted of aggressive swimming we were getting close - down to 85 feet or so but bottom time was dissappearing fast. We pressed on finding nothing but sand and halmeda until we HAD to turn around. 93' - and no reef. The vis was pretty good out that far so if there was a reef we'd have seen it. Oh well. I had to swim back well above the bottom and I still went into deco (cobra). David's oceanic didn't run out of rec BT even though he followed the bottom pretty much the whole way in. At about 65' on the way back we ran into a herd of blue-spot urchins. I got a few pix but had to hurry as air and BT were low. This was a real treat. I'll post pix later. We did an extra few minutes in the safety stop as this was not a typical profile - 93' / 45 minutes on air. I had my workout today. I'd say myth busted.
BTW we did this on 63's.

Mark

Bummer you didn't find it again...at least you didn't have to play "kite" in the current again and you got in a little exploration :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Hey Mark,

I spoke with a friend today who claims to have dove third reef :wink:

His directions were:

1) Swim out from the showers at a heading of 270*
2) Reef will be found in 85fsw

Interested in trying again?

Aloha, Tim

P.S. funny how I've been given 3 different depths/directions for finding 3rd reef now - lol

Although I wasn't looking for a third reef, I've been quite a way offshore there without seeing anything other than sand and halimeda. About 5 years ago while doing a solo dive at Airport I heard some really, really loud whale sounds, so I figured 'why not go straight out and see I can find them'. Also wanted to see how deep the halimeda went. So I started west, staying around 20' depth while looking around and at the bottom.

IIRC, I went out to just over 80' depth (only spent minimal time on the bottom while solo without pony), more or less due west from the pavillion & showers and didn't see anything other than sand and halimeda.

Good Luck!

Tim -- perhaps you can put Mark to work by having him tow you off of a 50' line trailing from his kayak. Have a small buoy on it, so if you see something you drop the line and the buoy comes up. Since he'll be on the surface, he can get GPS coordinates and look for good ranges/lineups.

I've looked in vain for the 3rd reef several times. Once I was wearing a 120 and stayed off the bottom as the vis was great and I knew if there were a reef I'd find it. That didn't happend. I'm saying until someone drops me on that reef myth busted also.

Nice pic BSOD - that shows the first and second reef quite nicely - Third reef is in the dark purple area ...

I followed the directions I was given, did a long surface swim straight west off the shower

airport.jpg

Approximately 1200 yards off shore we dropped down in about 70fsw and as soon as we hit 85fsw there it was - a small patch of coral, really nice with lots of life.

3rd_reef.jpg

We continued out to about 110fsw (we stayed above the bottom at 85fsw) and then turned back toward shore where we spent another 30 minutes on the first reef. Water was MUCH clearer in shallow today. Vis on first reef was about 70ft, while at "3rd" reef it was only about 40ft. with lots of particulate in the water.

Next trip I'll have to see if there was more north or south in the 85fsw range.

Aloha, Tim

Shows a lot of deep blue water :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom