Thinking to get a replacement for my X1 ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Tony, that's the sort of info I was hoping for.

Thanks Lynn for the link ... I'll definitely see about updating my software.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Petrel $749
Perdix $749
Liquivision Xeo $679
Nitek Q $399 (not really competition)

Compared to $1032 for the trimix Divesoft, that's a substantial difference. Especially if the battery isn't user-serviceable.

Guess I need to take a fresh look at some of these. I believe I paid over $900 for my Petrel back when they first came out. And was one of the early testers for the Xeo and Xen, pre-production ... wrote them off as unacceptable due to the batteries. Owned a Nitek He ... the algorithm wasn't a good fit for how I like to do deco, and quickly sold it to someone who was into the "bend and mend" approach.

$1000 isn't out of my price range for a computer that I like ... the X1 was considerably more than that, and I loved that little computer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My Liquivision X1 has died, and I'm not getting any response from LV to my queries on getting it fixed (or if it's even fixable). I suspect now that they're owned by a bigger company the customer service isn't going to be what it used to be. So perhaps it's time to see about a replacement computer. I already own a Petrel, and it's a nice enough backup computer, but I'm not nuts about what information gets displayed, and where. Also, I prefer the size and layout of the X1 and would like to replace it with something smaller than the Petrel if possible.

So if you were looking for a suitable replacement these days, what would you recommend. Some features I'd want ...

- bright display, such as the oLED on the X1
- relatively small size, wrist mount (preferably easy to convert or already comes with a bungee mount)
- time of day display on the main "pre-dive" screen (my Petrel lacks this)
- average depth display on the main "dive" screen (my Petrel lacks this too)

- relatively in-depth dive log function (Petrel is pretty basic info, lacks for example, giving you surface interval since last dive)
- multi-gas computer ... trimix compatible
- prefer VPM-B or similar algorithm

I've seen these new Ratio computers advertised ... anybody own one yet, and if so, any comments about what you like (or don't) about them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

upload_2016-3-8_16-30-1.png

Guess I need to take a fresh look at some of these. I believe I paid over $900 for my Petrel back when they first came out. And was one of the early testers for the Xeo and Xen, pre-production ... wrote them off as unacceptable due to the batteries. Owned a Nitek He ... the algorithm wasn't a good fit for how I like to do deco, and quickly sold it to someone who was into the "bend and mend" approach.

$1000 isn't out of my price range for a computer that I like ... the X1 was considerably more than that, and I loved that little computer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Since Shearwater is Canadian, the soaring US dollar has really brought the prices down.

I was in this same boat recently too. I really liked the display and specs on the Sea Bear H3 watch sized computer. The form factor, capability, and sapphire crystal on the front was the main draw. However, I couldn't bring myself to bet on a model when Scubapro/Johnston Outdoors just purchased them.

I went with a new Shearwater Perdix. Happy with it so far.

My Liquivision X1 has died, and I'm not getting any response from LV to my queries on getting it fixed (or if it's even fixable). I suspect now that they're owned by a bigger company the customer service isn't going to be what it used to be. So perhaps it's time to see about a replacement computer. I already own a Petrel, and it's a nice enough backup computer, but I'm not nuts about what information gets displayed, and where. Also, I prefer the size and layout of the X1 and would like to replace it with something smaller than the Petrel if possible.

So if you were looking for a suitable replacement these days, what would you recommend. Some features I'd want ...

- bright display, such as the oLED on the X1
- relatively small size, wrist mount (preferably easy to convert or already comes with a bungee mount)
- time of day display on the main "pre-dive" screen (my Petrel lacks this)
- average depth display on the main "dive" screen (my Petrel lacks this too)
- relatively in-depth dive log function (Petrel is pretty basic info, lacks for example, giving you surface interval since last dive)
- multi-gas computer ... trimix compatible
- prefer VPM-B or similar algorithm

I've seen these new Ratio computers advertised ... anybody own one yet, and if so, any comments about what you like (or don't) about them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi Bob,

We're sorry that you're having difficulties reaching our company. If you could contact us via Private Message with some details on whom you contacted and when, we'll look into getting some results for you.

Thanks.

@NWGratefulDiver

This is what you wanted, right? The "Surface" is the surface interval. The avg depth, and the clock are selectable per the manual above.

IMG_0001.JPG

I was contacted privately by LV, thanks to this thread. At this point in time I'm waiting to hear back on whether or not my X1 is repairable. Preferably it will be, as it's been my all-time favorite dive computer since I've been diving. If not, I'll be looking into other options.

Props to Shearwater as well for helping me figure out how to upgrade my software so that I can display the info I want on my Petrel.

The discussion has been valuable on both fronts.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom