Thinking of trying to become an instructor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi:

I am new to this site so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I have been diving since I was 16(now 40). I am advanced certifide and almost done with Rescue. I was thinking of going pro you might say and becomming an instructor. I could do it the traditional way taking months if not years or I could go to some of the intensive instructor schools that take just weeks. What do you think? Any recommendations? Thanks for any help you can give me.
:confused:

Roninvalhalla:
Hi:

I am new to this site so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I have been diving since I was 16(now 40). I am advanced certifide and almost done with Rescue. I was thinking of going pro you might say and becomming an instructor. I could do it the traditional way taking months if not years or I could go to some of the intensive instructor schools that take just weeks. What do you think? Any recommendations? Thanks for any help you can give me.
:confused:
I am about to begin my IDC in Koh Samoi Thailand on the 25 Mar 07, I was certified as a PADI DM about 2 years ago. You must become a DM or DC before you can become an instructor and that is more difficult than becoming an instructor from what I am told. There are schools that you can take the DM course then the IDC back to back but it's going to take considreably longer, more like several months.

I'm just about to finish up my DM class (prerequiste to Instructor). It definately takes dedication - there is a LOT of bookwork. In water skills and assisting with classes isn't so bad, you do 5 pool classes and a few open water dives (haven't done those yet!). It's definately a great course, I feel like I learned a lot about diving, and I would definately recommend it to people who aren't even interested in becoming instructors.

elmo...if you have cmpleted your dm then all you have to do is take the idc then the ie. My idc is over 8 days. I am taking it march 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th. Then I finish up on the 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th. I'm going to go to FL to take the IE in April or early May. The dm is the longest part of the journey...it was for me...between the idc and the ie, i am only looking at a total of 10 days...

It may depend what your motive is. I went through all classes as quickly as possible because I couldn't wait to take the next one. I became assistant instructor/divemaster and then instructor really to just learn more. Now I have advanced instructor rating and just teach a few people as a serious hobby. My time is worth more than a few dollars in pay!! Definite hobby pay scale. Most ow classes end with the instructor spending more than his pay. If you plan on making it your career, take all classes ASAP and then relocate to a great dive destination and live the dream (in poverty).

Thanks for the reply guys. Which schools are you attending? I would like to find out so I can start planning.

All of my classes thru instrutor training was with Scuba Schools International (SSI)

Roninvalhalla:
Thanks for the reply guys. Which schools are you attending? I would like to find out so I can start planning.
What agency are you with? If you want PADI go to their website and find many 5 star facilities that will work for you, I am going to Koh Samui Thailand in a few weeks, beautiful place!:14:

I did it last year. It's alot of hard work but it is obtainable. I did mine through PADI. Expensive but well worth it.

You have to have your Divemaster before you become an Instructor this takes alittle time. Plus theres an experience question. Follow the steps. After you receive your DM you can become an OWSI. Which is set that way for a reason you can't cut corners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom