Thinking of the future:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The RAW Flaw
By Michael Reichmann and Juergen Specht
May, 2005

Some Background

For most of the past 10 years (effectively, the entire geological age of digital SLR cameras) photographers have been almost oblivious to a lurking danger. This threat – and it is no exaggeration to call it that – can best be understood by analogy.

Imagine that you were a photographer working with film, some time during the 20 th century. Many of us don't have to make too great an effort to imagine this, because we were.

You shot your transparency or negative film, had them processed (or processed them yourself), made your prints, and then filed the negatives safely away in acid free storage boxes, so that the next time you or your clients needed a print the negatives were be safely available.

And, sure enough, whenever needed – even ten or twenty years later, we'd go back to our negatives, put them in the enlarger, and make a new print. And often, because over the intervening time our darkroom skills had advanced, or maybe because we had a new enlarger or we were using an improved paper or chemistry, our new prints turned out to be superior to what we had been able to produce before.

Now, imagine the following scenario. We retrieve our files, find the negative or slide that we want to reprint, and then discover that it has become opaque. The image is gone or otherwise inaccessible. We still have the piece of film that originally went though the camera, but the image itself cannot be accessed!

Good Lord – what could have happened? Well, imagine if the answer was that the company that made your original roll of film had manufactured it so that the film only fit into one type of enlarger, and that those enlargers aren't being made anymore. Or that the chemical properties of the dyes used to make that roll of color film were such that they would only interact to form an image with matching dyes in a printing paper from that same company; but – sorry, that company was sold a few years ago and the new owners decided to stop making that type of paper.

Totally unacceptable of course. But really, this is a pretty far-fetched scenario – isn't it?

No. Actually it isn't, because this is exactly the situation that we now face with our digital camera's RAW files. Let's see if we can understand what's going on and why the current situation has come to a head.

I tried to paste the entire thing, but it's too long...for the rest of the article please go here:
http://www.digitaldiver.net/raw_flaw.php

May be I am being optimistic and not really as worry about this as some people do.
If you are worry about certain RAW format going out of date and the manufacturer or Adobe stop supporting it in the future, why not just convert the file to psd or tiff format?
DNG sounds good on paper but I guess we have to see if anyone beside Adobe is willing to support it.
I know that psd/tiff is not quite the same as you lose some of the RAW flexibility with white balance and such. However, when you develop film or slide, you are then stuck with the negative as well and can't go back to pre development stage and get a better lab to do a better job the 2nd time around.
Personally I am more worry about back up medium. What happen if the CD/DVD go bad in a couple of years, what happen if the hard drive die. It seems that these CDs/DVDs/HDs don't last as long as a well kept negatives.
So for now, I am doing multiple back ups, keep a lot of pictures that I like in RAW format as well as PSD and let those industry people have it out with RAW :D

RAW + jpeg

RAID is cheap.

All the best, James

It is an issue. But less so for an amatuer like myself. I keep everything in RAW and JPEG. I also have keep the software for converting the RAW in a very safe place (in case I do change computers or they decide to change the format). That way, I can convert the RAW into TIFF anytime.

It would be easier if they could settle on a format though. Saves us time and effort (esp if we change cameras!).

The Library of Congress recommends all images be backed up in TIFF for archival
purposes.

My lament for today:

I've recently spent some time going through the archives here at the YMCA for our 150th anniversary. Needless to say I've laid eyes on hundreds of ancient black and white prints going back as far as the 1880s; we also have at least a couple of boxes of original 4x5 negatives and many old Kodachromes and Ektachromes from the '50s through the '70s. And of course piles of color prints from more recent decades. Some fading in the color photos aside, I was amazed at the longevity of these old photos, especially the ones made from 4x5 black and white negatives, which but for the hairstyles and clothing I could imagine being taken last week. The backs even had rubber-stamped contact info for long-gone photographers--complete with letters in the phone numbers.

I got to thinking, sitting in this musty old mausoleum thumbing through 150 years of relics. My mind was wandering forward 50 years, to our Association's 200th anniversary, an 81 year old me tottering around the celebration gala in a futuristic tuxedo and waxing nostalgic...what form would the archives of 2005-2055 take? What would we have to hold in our hands? Already professional photography of the kind that produced those wonderful old black and white prints is all but dead. First the point-and-shoot-develop-it-at-Wal-Mart style, and now digital photography which does away with any kind of physical original totally...

So now preserving things for posterity is in the hands of untrained people with consumer-grade digital cameras, which use lossy, often low-quality (for the sake of putting LOTS of images on that memory stick or whatever), sometimes proprietary file formats; saved, at best, on a CD-R and printed on an inkjet photo printer, or at worst on a hard drive somewhere. And truly, before long camera and computer companies obsessed with keeping the product cycle turning, will come out with something new and ostensibly better--and possibly incompatible with existing technology. Today's standards may be obsolete in a year or two as consumers storm the malls so as to stay up to date. I hear that CDs may be obsolete in 10-20 years. Preserving history is the least of the average casual snapshooter's concerns, I think. History? That's something you sleep through in third period as a teenager.

That's not to equate film with longevity or non-obsolescence. I often wonder if there's anyone out there who still makes prints from old Instamatic negatives. Or how about Disc film? By contrast, 35mm as a still camera format has been around for about 80 years. 120--good old medium format--for just over a century. And people still shoot with sheet film and view cameras, essentially technology that goes back to the Civil War era...and some of the photos, but for the hairstyles and clothing, look like they could have been shot last week. And the kicker is: we can still make fresh, brand new prints on modern paper with modern enlargers and chemicals, from these ancient negatives.

Digital needs a format that's the equivalent of sheet film. Fifty or a hundred years from now, the talking, back-scratching, policy-making computers that our great grandchildren will think are too slow ought to be able to instantly recognize these archival files; stored on some kind of archival physical storage format that all computers will still have drives for; and print off a new, perfect copy of an image taken way back when, on one of those quaint early Canon or Olympus or Sony digital cameras. But of course we don't have that universal format yet. We just have JPEG, TIFF, RAW. JPEG will be the digital equivalent of Instamatic or Disc--someone will come along with a digital equivalent of APS. And then maybe a second-generation digital equivalent of first-generation digital will supplant that. And so on...

My bets are with RAW and/or TIFF. I believe that compression, especially lossy compression, is the wrong route to take. I know that one of digital's biggest attractions is that you can stuff hundreds of low-res JPEGs onto a memory card, and you can email them/post them online/etc easily. I think that's short-sighted, and over time I think people will maybe realize that. I say: don't degrade picture quality to accomodate technical limitations; let's concentrate on maximizing storage and transmission capabilities, perfect some kind of universal digital photo file format and a standard long-lasting physical storage format, and keep the original photos top quality. And insist that they be universally standardized, not proprietary.

Photos can only be taken once. Decades later, people appreciate that they can still look at them. I do hope that recorded history doesn't end with the Digital Age. (History-RW?)

I apologize for my long-winded reply...

cheers

Billy S.

Good link, Lego.

cheers

Billy S.

I stand somewhat corrected btw: I didn't realize that raw data was different between cameras...and that it's not even really an actual format (ie raw, not RAW). I think it makes the case for standardization even more urgent.

cheers

Billy S.

Back
Top Bottom