Thinking of purchasing a GoPro ... please advise a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron, thanks for the info. I am in Manhattan.

I'm in Manhattan too.

There are a few scuba clubs that meet in Manhattan once a month. One focuses on local diving, another on UW photo/video and 3rd is general scuba. I can give you more info if you are interested.

Yes, like I said, if you are only shooting video in 1080 and no stills it is not a big deal.

I have had a good amount of experience with the cameras and prefer the EOM for the reasons I mentioned above - to each his own.

Like you said, it's good to have options - so I am throwing in my experience so take it for what it is worth :)

Yep, good valid reasons for choosing an Eye of Mine.

Gotta love the GoPro no matter which lens you choose. Add in a cheap pink color filter and you are all set.

Yep, good valid reasons for choosing an Eye of Mine.

Gotta love the GoPro no matter which lens you choose. Add in a cheap pink color filter and you are all set.

Where did you get your filter?

Where did you get your filter?

I bought a 22"x22" pink Lee filter sheet for $7. You can get Lee or Roscoe filter sheets at lighting or photography stores. Lee and Roscoe sometimes give people mini sample booklets for free. The GoPro is so small you only need something the size of a penny. Basically a scrap piece that someone would probably throw out. If you lived in NYC, I would cut you a piece from my 22" sheet.

I know other people have bought Magic Filter and Pursuit sells filters too.

Ron, I just checked out the GoPros at B and H in the city. Did not like that place one bit (plus they were out of stock with most models).

I might take you up on the offer to buy from the Mako people. Still thinking...

I just bought one from Mako, it comes with the flat lens. I called them to ask a question and the person I spoke with was very helpful and very friendly. I dont know what the difference is in the lens but I found three companies making the lens to correct underwater video, Mako, Eye of Mine and Sartek.

I like my Sartek. No vignetting at 1080 but some as 720. No problem since I'd only shoot 1080. Their flat port is part of a complete housing assembly, so you still have your original housing as a spare. The LCD back is great but eats the battery is its ON all the time. GoPro also has a new Battery back which acts as a 2nd battery for longer record time & a battery charger. You can attach LCD or Battery to camera but not both. Also buy a spare battery & separate charger (something that doesn't charge via a computer (just my preference). I bought a charger from RPM.gear that works great.

When you say the LCD is on all the time - the cam can be turned off and on while in the housing, can't it? The LCD doesn't turn off when the cam does? Also if you don't mind the questions, how close does it focus underwater?

I love my gopro.
Pursuit flat lens and filter with 7" Intova flex arms and mini-nova wide angle lights.
And LCD screen.
8992d1300952661-gopro-hero-hd-199751_200093893346462_100000375588269_608694_521147_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom