Thinking of purchasing a GoPro ... please advise a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting

When you say the LCD is on all the time - the cam can be turned off and on while in the housing, can't it? The LCD doesn't turn off when the cam does? Also if you don't mind the questions, how close does it focus underwater?

You can turn the LCD and the camera ON and Off seperately while in the housing.
It focuses pretty close, not macro close but it's pretty good for a tiny little camera.

Other than the intova setup i posted,
I also have a telescoping pole attachment that I can put it on and get up close without me getting close.
18" closed and 54" open.
Or use the head strap, but the bubbles from exhale get in the way a bit.

I wish they would come out with the 3D waterproof housing soon.
That would be a cool view underwater.

When you say the LCD is on all the time - the cam can be turned off and on while in the housing, can't it? The LCD doesn't turn off when the cam does? Also if you don't mind the questions, how close does it focus underwater?

This is false. The LCD turns on when the camera is turned on. The LCD turns off when the camera turns off. Also, once you have set your shooting angle, you can turn the LCD OFF and keep the camera on to increase battery life. Saying the LCD is on all the time is not true. There is even a setting to automatically turn the LCD off after X seconds in inactivity.

I have the EOM housing with the LCD and I love the dang thing. Some points I've ran into:
1) Vignetting also doesn't occur in the 720 if you use the wide option (Mode 2 IIRC). I like that since there is enough noise due to lighting that I don't need the 1080 so the 720 saves me some disk space.
2) It is a pain in the butt to hand hold. It is so small that I get a lot of shake with it. Much better to mount it on something a bit more stable. I mount mine onto the front of my scooter.
3) The LCD is great for framing shots but not so great for details. Part of that is when mounted on my scooter it is over three feet away from my eyes.
4) Does well without lights but even better with. Right now I'm playing with the different metering options to find the one that works best for me. White creatures tend to get blown out.

You can turn the LCD and the camera ON and Off seperately while in the housing.
It focuses pretty close, not macro close but it's pretty good for a tiny little camera.

Other than the intova setup i posted,
I also have a telescoping pole attachment that I can put it on and get up close without me getting close.
18" closed and 54" open.
Or use the head strap, but the bubbles from exhale get in the way a bit.

I wish they would come out with the 3D waterproof housing soon.
That would be a cool view underwater.
I've used the Kodak Zi8 a couple of times now and like the results, but min focus is around 30", which is unfortunate. It can take external lenses so you can do better with a WA attached, but closer focus would be nice. I've considered switching to the GoPro, for the even smaller size and closer focus, just not sure another fixed focus cam is the best way to go. Can't beat the size though, which is handy.

I am looking at get one with the aftermarket lens from snake river prototyping and mounting it onto a Princeton tec shock wave led torch which I hope will steady it up in the hand.
I am interested in fitting a screw on a 55mm lens system of some type, so you can use quick change colour filters and lenses types for water colour and different uses macro or wide.
Someone must have done more by now??????

I am looking at get one with the aftermarket lens from snake river prototyping
I have seen a picture of that lens, do you know where I can get one? I did a search for Snake River Prototyping and only found a picture.

The great thing about a GoPro is that its so small, you don't mind carrying it on you as a wrist watch, "Just in Case", you see something magnificent and HAVE to have it filmed. It goes virtually unnoticed until you're ready to use it.

I have seen a picture of that lens, do you know where I can get one? I did a search for Snake River Prototyping and only found a picture.

Hes his contact email-
info@snakeriverprototyping.com
I am talking to Bill currently about a complete package- camera housing and the focus fix lens setup he does pressure tested- he wants $65 for the lens $40 for the housing and he puts it together for you. you just pop your camera in and away you go. it looks to be a better lens then any of the other there ATM.
But I reckon this cheap little camera will get modded pretty hard because of the cost.

Back
Top Bottom