Thinking of purchasing a GoPro ... please advise a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I am thinking of purchasing a GoPro camera for my underwater adventures. I am not looking into doing any crazy editing or anything. I just some cool videos I can show my friends topside of what I saw underwater.

What do I need to know before I purchase?

Do I NEED to buy the new lense (ie. eye of mine) or is it okay just to use as is?

How difficult is it form purchase through set up? I am not very tech savvy.

Yes, I've read all the other posts on the subject. Frankly they are getting kind of long so I am looking for some "fresh intelligence". Mainly I am concerned about this lense issue. I don't want to spend close to $300 dollars on a GoPro then find out that I really do need a new lense.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Very simple to use, don't know about the lens problem yet.

Yes, you need a replacement for the dome port on the housing. You can get one from Pursuit Spearfishing online for 43 bucks which replaces the dome port on the stock GoPro case.

Replacement is as simple as removing 6 screws, changing the dome port with the flat port, and screwing the 6 screws back in.

The GoPro is a great and very versatile camera I am sure you will have a blast with.

If you plan on taking a lot of footage underwater, you definitely want to look into a flat lens.

I prefer the EyeofMine housing for two main reasons:
  • You get a second housing so you have one for wet use and one for dry.
  • There is notably less vignetting with the eyeofmine housing then the dropin lens (However, if you are only shooting 1080 video and no photos, this isn't a big deal)

The camera is pretty easy to learn - if you pick up the LCD Backpack the camera menu is even easier to navigate.

Check out my website - all the pictures and videos I post are from GoPro cameras (EyeofMine Housings) and will have many more to come shortly.

will

You may also want to consider a Tachyon.

I've been using the standard res version for a couple months and have loved it. (They have a video I made on the front page.)

The only issues I've had were due to low light conditions where I didn't bring a sufficient light. The new HD wide angle version is supposed to be better with low light.

They are entirely self contained (no extra case) and simple to use.

What do you mean by vignetteing?
The GoPro is a great and very versatile camera I am sure you will have a blast with.

If you plan on taking a lot of footage underwater, you definitely want to look into a flat lens.

I prefer the EyeofMine housing for two main reasons:
  • You get a second housing so you have one for wet use and one for dry.
  • There is notably less vignetting with the eyeofmine housing then the dropin lens (However, if you are only shooting 1080 video and no photos, this isn't a big deal)

The camera is pretty easy to learn - if you pick up the LCD Backpack the camera menu is even easier to navigate.

Check out my website - all the pictures and videos I post are from GoPro cameras (EyeofMine Housings) and will have many more to come shortly.

will

Yes, you need the flat lens for underwater shooting. Your video will look blurry and out of focus without it.

I ordered my GoPro from Makospearguns, $260. The flat port lens comes with it for free. If you are shooting full 1080p resolution, I don't see any reason to pay money for a different lens when you get a flat lens for free from Mako.

Vignette is when you see black shading in the corners. You won't have this problem if you shoot video full 1080p resolution.

By the way, what part of NY are you in ?

Ron, thanks for the info. I am in Manhattan.
Yes, you need the flat lens for underwater shooting. Your video will look blurry and out of focus without it.

I ordered my GoPro from Makospearguns, $260. The flat port lens comes with it for free. If you are shooting full 1080p resolution, I don't see any reason to pay money for a different lens when you get a flat lens for free from Mako.

Vignette is when you see black shading in the corners. You won't have this problem if you shoot video full 1080p resolution.

By the way, what part of NY are you in ?

The drop in flat lens is very susceptible to scratching. Minor scratches will not effect underwater shots as the water fills them in - but keep in mind if you get the dropin replacement - this will be your DRY housing too where the scratches might show and vignetting WILL exist.

See the two photos to see the difference in vignetting between a standard dropin replacement and the eyeofmine pro housing:

Mako Flat Lens
makolens.jpg

Eye of Mine Housing
eyeofmine.jpg

The drop in flat lens is very susceptible to scratching. Minor scratches will not effect underwater shots as the water fills them in - but keep in mind if you get the dropin replacement - this will be your DRY housing too where the scratches might show and vignetting WILL exist.

Will, I don't use the GoPro for photos.

I get no vignette in 1080p video with my Mako lens. Doesn't matter if it's underwater or dry, as long as I am in 1080p video mode, no vignette. You can buy a 2nd GoPro housing for $40.

Glad you are happy with your Eye of Mine. I'm happy with my Mako and I know others are happy with their lens from another company. There are some recent posts from someone developing a glass port.

It's good to have options, but if you are a 1st time GoPro buyer, I don't know why you would not buy from Mako and get their lens for free. You could always then buy an Eye of Mine or any other companies lens if you were not happy with the Mako lens.

I hear Pursuit Diving is also including a flat lens if you buy a GoPro from them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom