Question Thinking of getting my first set of tanks for sidemount. Advice needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's expensive.

The Flat-bottomed Euros (or even the round bottom ones) are great and shouldn't be that expensive as they're made in Slovakia (I believe -- and other countries). Example websites with better prices (I can't vouch for them but believe others have bought from them).
As I've said. From that website.
2x12 tanks w/ valves, is 550€, with shipping. When I import them, they'll be 730€.

That's still a lot more than 220€. A lot more.

HP80s with a boot and valve are about 23”. I named them after dwarves from the Hobbit since they were short and fat. :D. They were my dwarf tanks. They suck for SM but they’re lovely for short people single tank.
I see, they're a lot thicker.

I've already dove these, and they're a bit longer than my torso. So they sit snugly with my body. They are but floaty, but overall negative.

Those are not problems. Also, big money save compared to getting a new set.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with them.

Most people would advise against it in Europe since everyone is so focussed on the faber 12l light steels or the aluminium 80 cufts, but if you distribute your weight correctly there is no reason why it wouldn't work properly.

I have to say though, if you're unlucky and can't fill above 200 bar somewhere, i'd rather have 200 bar 24l than 200 bar 20. It's quite a significant difference for you dive planning.

Honestly almost any tank could work if you wanted to, it'll just take some time to find the appropriate rigging height and weight distribution.

Only thing is that after a while you will probably get tired of people shitting on your 10l's and want to switch to the 12l light steels or the
11l alu's anyway. if that doesn't matter to you, go ahead.

So it's more a question of how long will you be satisfied diving that air volume?
If your friends all dive 2x10 I see no issue, but 2x12 seems to be somewhat of a standard on diveboats nowadays so you'll have quite some gas less than your mates

I'm trying to remember that the OP did state recreational diving as part of the planned use. So monster gas supply shouldn't be needed at this stage.

We are on the 3rd page, there are comments that there are other options that could be better. But so far nobody is saying that they are horrible and should be avoided. So that is a pretty good sign that they are a viable option even if not the most popular one. And if the price is right, fits the need, looks like they would be a valid choice.

If you later go to 2x12s the 10L might make a nice deco bottle.

As I've said. From that website.
2x12 tanks w/ valves, is 550€, with shipping. When I import them, they'll be 730€.

That's still a lot more than 220€. A lot more.
Look out for a second hand twinset. Split them and plug the modular valves. Much cheaper than new.

Look out for a second hand twinset. Split them and plug the modular valves. Much cheaper than new.
That's one of the alternatives.
But so far, not a single double set apart from vintage USSR 2x10s and 2x7s.

Which is a whole problem of it's own.

That's one of the alternatives.
But so far, not a single double set apart from vintage USSR 2x10s and 2x7s.

Which is a whole problem of it's own.
I feel for you.

It’s always the case that when you want something, they’re never around. You can guarantee that the day after you spend a small fortune to get that something, six will turn up.

I feel for you.

It’s always the case that when you want something, they’re never around. You can guarantee that the day after you spend a small fortune to get that something, six will turn up.
Yeah I've been waiting on a set of doubles for than a year.

There are not many divers in Serbia, and especially techincal divers. And while you can find some small stuff, tanks are a rarity.

And a pricey one.

And even used sets are 400+€

Ouch. I just bought a clean, in test, flat-bottom 12 litre twinset for €300

What about buying them in Croatia and driving them home?

Ouch. I just bought a clean, in test, flat-bottom 12 litre twinset for €300

What about buying them in Croatia and driving them home?
Also a possibility. But the cost of going somewhere like Rijeka (which is closest using the highway) is pretty pricey in itself. And not a let's say a one day ride.

There is a possibility of getting a set from Hungary since is closer. Or maybe even going to Prague and picking a new cheap set.

But that all costs way to much above 220€ for this set I can get now.

I looked at it like this, these are tanks from my dive club. I know they're tested and working. And if anything happens I know where to service them (the dive club 😂)

Buying used gear here is a cat in a sack. I've bought two "new" short manometar hoses which are defective, and the seller doesn't want to hear. They claim I'm using them wrong for using them as a sidemount hoses. And that I broke them.

This is the sad pathetic state of diving here. Most if people selling scuba gear here are con men and are selling 10-15 year old stuff as new.

Back
Top Bottom