Question Thinking of getting my first set of tanks for sidemount. Advice needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drakcheslav

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the chance to get a good set of two 10L steel tanks (narrow one's) with opposing valves for a good price.

And I wanted to ask any more experienced sidemounters do they think if this is a good set trim and buoyancy wise.

They're Faber 10L European steel tanks. 50ish cm in height. Same diameter as the tall and narrow 12L tanks.

I plan on using them for a mix of technical and recreational diving.

I know that ideal set is 2x12L but I can't find a set of tall and narrow 12L w/o paying an arm and a leg.

So would this be a good alternative.

10L steel tanks
Not sure if they're the same as the Fabers we have in Oz but our 10s have better characteristics than the 12s, not enough air though. I'm not sure what you define as a technical dive but I often wish I had more air and I have 12s, especially if you're diving rule of 3rds.

Just my 2c

Cheers

Beautiful tanks and more beautiful if you have a compressor

Not sure if they're the same as the Fabers we have in Oz but our 10s have better characteristics than the 12s, not enough air though. I'm not sure what you define as a technical dive but I often wish I had more air and I have 12s, especially if you're diving rule of 3rds.

Just my 2c

Cheers
So, one in let's say 20dives will be a deep dive (below 40m) with decompression or a wreck dive.

For those kind of dive's I'd use a third stage bottle.

So this would be for my working/travel gas, and most of the uses and practices in a local lake.

I've tried them on a deep dive, and I have consumption around 16-18L/min.

I'm used to diving with a 15L steel tank, so this is a huge amount of air for me. 🤓
Easily for two repetitive dives in NDL limits.

I was asking since I never saw people recommending them. And here, there are not a lot of sidemounters, and the ones I know use AL80s.

I'm not a fan of al tanks, since in the winter with 450g undersuit I need insane amounts of weight to get down.

And for the 12L, I'm usually finding the short stubby ones which are not as comfortable od practical.

Are those Faber 10l 300 bars or 232 bars?

If 300, they might definitely be a bit heavy to dive SM in. I mean, you can do it, but it will be strenuous with a pair of tanks that are -8kg empty :)

I have the chance to get a good set of two 10L steel tanks (narrow one's) with opposing valves for a good price.

And I wanted to ask any more experienced sidemounters do they think if this is a good set trim and buoyancy wise.

They're Faber 10L European steel tanks. 50ish cm in height. Same diameter as the tall and narrow 12L tanks.

I plan on using them for a mix of technical and recreational diving.

I know that ideal set is 2x12L but I can't find a set of tall and narrow 12L w/o paying an arm and a leg.

So would this be a good alternative.
That is not a bad deal.

I do dive with 7L tanks (love them) and with 12L tanks (love the amount of air). 10L tanks are somewhere in between and not bad at all! Please note that 7/232 (or even 5/300) is really nice to dive with while 12/232 are a "heavy duty" solution. I am constantly diving with 12L 232 bar steels but the 7 litre ones are SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE. You have been offered something in between.

As long as you will not dive to 100ft regularly, and you do not need to do gas matching for overhead environment diving with buddies wearing D12, you will do just fine!

For those kind of dive's I'd use a third stage bottle.
I assume you mean three total and not 2 mains and 3 stage? So no deco tank?
16-18L/min.
I'm only slightly better at 14-15, still wish I had more than 24.4L
Same here but rec dives with 50bar back on the boat, with twin 10s diving rule of 1/3s you've only got 377L more. And extra 4 mins at 40m isn't earth shattering lol
Definitely don't get stubby!

Are those Faber 10l 300 bars or 232 bars?

If 300, they might definitely be a bit heavy to dive SM in. I mean, you can do it, but it will be strenuous with a pair of tanks that are -8kg empty :)
232bar ones.

As long as you will not dive to 100ft regularly, and you do not need to do gas matching for overhead environment diving with buddies wearing D12, you will do just fine!
No Cave for me in the future plans, and wreck diving will happen once or twice a year, and for that I'd need to travel on a plane, so I couldn't take my tanks. And will rent them.

Locally, a 15L tank would sort me out for everything. So based on comments 2x10 would do me great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom