Question Thinking of getting my first set of tanks for sidemount. Advice needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you have more gas, you’ll extend your bottom time accordingly. Whilst a 15 litre cylinder seems a lot, two tens are only 33% more gas whereas two 12s would be around 66% more.

Deeper dives need more gas, especially when decompression is factored in and you’re pushing your bottom time.

12 litre cylinders would probably be better if that’s your dive profile.

I know.
I was planning on getting 2x12 tanks at some point. But that investment would be around 6-700eur for me. Since I can't find tall and skinny 12s.

Compared to 220eur for 2x10s that's a steep difference.

That's why I'm asking more experienced sidemounters on what's the consensus ok 10l steels since I see a lot of tec divers w/ sidemount using AL80s. Which are 11l.

In the end. I'll be picking up the 10Ls probably.

And then switching if needed in the future, I'll easily sell the 10s than an Al80s here

10 l 232 bar is what HP80 are here I think. They will hold about the same amount of gas as AL80. Al 80s are used here for shorter - 15-20 min tech dives to 50m. But I find they are on the small side.

10 l 232 bar is what HP80 are here I think. They will hold about the same amount of gas as AL80. Al 80s are used here for shorter - 15-20 min tech dives to 50m. But I find they are on the small side.

HP80s are short and fat and not really good for SM. I SM’d them for a while then went to LP85s for tech/cave and LP50 for fun stuff. I’m on the short side (5’5”) and they were meh. I saw some really big (tall & wide) guy out at the local diving hole with HP80s this summer. I was scratching my head about why he thought those were good tanks for him. They looked like soup cans on his sides when walking out of the water with them clipped on!

HP80s are short and fat and not really good for SM. I SM’d them for a while then went to LP85s for tech/cave and LP50 for fun stuff. I’m on the short side (5’5”) and they were meh. I saw some really big (tall & wide) guy out at the local diving hole with HP80s this summer. I was scratching my head about why he thought those were good tanks for him. They looked like soup cans on his sides when walking out of the water with them clipped on!
I guess for him they did not even put a ding in his trim :D Just like for smaller people side-mounting spare air :coffee:

These are 17.1cm diameter, 58cm long.
Which should be 6.73in, and 22.8in respectively.

They're not stubby in the slightest.
There are 12l dumpy bottles which are 53cm, with 20cm diameter. I'm guessing the HP80s are similar just smaller.

These are 17.1cm diameter, 58cm long.
Which should be 6.73in, and 22.8in respectively.

They're not stubby in the slightest.
There are 12l dumpy bottles which are 53cm, with 20cm diameter. I'm guessing the HP80s are similar just smaller.

HP80s with a boot and valve are about 23”. I named them after dwarves from the Hobbit since they were short and fat. :D. They were my dwarf tanks. They suck for SM but they’re lovely for short people single tank.

I know.
I was planning on getting 2x12 tanks at some point. But that investment would be around 6-700eur for me. Since I can't find tall and skinny 12s.

That's expensive.

The Flat-bottomed Euros (or even the round bottom ones) are great and shouldn't be that expensive as they're made in Slovakia (I believe -- and other countries). Example websites with better prices (I can't vouch for them but believe others have bought from them).

This is how technical divers tend to have vast collections of various tanks. You get something new, it works great for some stuff. You get something different that works great for other stuff. Later one of the tanks that was used for one thing is repurposed for a different use. You end up with some tanks that are what fit your typical sidemount diving and when wanting to do doubles it is too much work to take them apart and rebuilt them and you find a set of doubles that will work. Next thing you know you own a dozen different tanks.

I thought I read you dive with others using AL80s. The quick math of 10L at 232 bar is right about 80 cubic feet. So you would be matched with the others you dive with.

I would say get them. It will be part of your eventual tank collection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom