Thinking of buying a new boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsunamimike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
i just sold my 15' jet boat so that i can buy something a little bit more sea worthy, i'm searching around on Craigslist a lot and can only find a few boats that i feel comfortable spending the money on. I'm thinking some sort of center console with lots of storage, but here's the thing the boats that i am Liking on Craigslist some are only 17 footers, has anyone done any diving off of a 17' boat?

and here is another twist, i Clean Hulls as a business and would like to work off of my boat so it should be easy to manuver
I guess what i'm asking is would i be stupid to try to take a 17' Center console off shore during the weekends for some reef diving?

Don't know what conditions are like offshore where you dive, but here in California, I would consider a 17 foot boat the absolute minimum size for going out into unprotected waters. We owned a 17 foot inflatable for several years and it was a nice boat, but definitely small. We have been diving with a 22 foot for the past 17 years and although it seems big when it's on the trailer, it definitely shrinks when we are out of sight of land...

17' may be a little tight and a bit small for ocean travel. I have used my personal 18.5' Starcraft for diving. It has a single side console with a 94" beam so lots of floor space. However three divers with two tanks each eat up the room. As far as an ideal dive boat that is also affordable, I have taken my 24' pontoon out on the St Lawrence with 7 divers and we had all kinds of room. Also have a stable platform to get geared up and a nice ladder to come back aboard. Just like any vessel, the more you use it the easier to maneuver. Also pontoon has a large sunscreen overhead. Just a suggestion though.

I have friends who spent a bad night clinging to the side of an overturned 17' boat in Tampa Bay.
When he got the boat back to the dock he gave it away to somebody watching the circus, and bought a 23' with twins.
I thought he should have gone bigger yet because his boat is still always loaded over gross rated weight and looks like a Cuban refugee boat.

Seventeen footer is to small for open ocean especially when loaded with heavy dive gear. Nothing like having to deal with a following sea in a small boat , remember sea and wind conditions don't have to change that much to get into trouble. 24' skipjack would be ideal with a fly bridge to get out fo the wind on a repetitive dive day.

I guess what i'm asking is would i be stupid to try to take a 17' Center console off shore during the weekends for some reef diving?

The answer is yes you would be :) ...

Now is a great time to get a used boat off CL or Boat Trader... a 17 footer gets bounced around really bad in mild chop and gets down right scary in moderate chop....

If your budget can afford it something in the 26' range is where I would aim.

CHeers
Roger

i just sold my 15' jet boat so that i can buy something a little bit more sea worthy, i'm searching around on Craigslist a lot and can only find a few boats that i feel comfortable spending the money on. I'm thinking some sort of center console with lots of storage, but here's the thing the boats that i am Liking on Craigslist some are only 17 footers, has anyone done any diving off of a 17' boat?

and here is another twist, i Clean Hulls as a business and would like to work off of my boat so it should be easy to manuver

Just a suggestion, but i would look at something along the lines of a 25' Parker or similiar. Small cuddy gets you out of the weather. Easy to operate and sea worthy. Plenty of room for tanks and gear.

Smaller is better for hull cleaning. I find my 14' Achilles inflatable to be the perfect size. If you try to find one boat for both recreational diving in open water and hull cleaning in marinas, I think you'll find you've compromised for both.

Consider a 35-40 foot used motor yacht or sailboat thats my game plan to save next few years for my dream dive boat!

Back
Top Bottom