Thinking about returning to diving, looking for some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am hoping to return to diving this year, after a five year break. My last diving was done on a live-aboard in Dec of 2009. When I stopped, I held an PADI MSD cert with just over 200 dives, all done within a few years. I felt fairly proficient when it came to handling the basics - low SAC, decent buoyancy, etc. I already have a physical scheduled with my doc. Of course my gear will need to be gone over by an expert to make sure it all works right.

I'm thinking of replacing my old wrist-mounted computer (Aladin Tec) for a new air-integrated console model. Has the technology changed that much in five years?

Should I go for a classroom refresher, or take a whole new OW class? Are there any online resources available now? I have looked at the PADI online refresher, is it worth the $62 to take that?

+1 on the Aladin Tec

With 200 dives under your belt I wouldn't think you would need to take the whole OW course over again.

Good advice to contact BoulderJohn, he is very active here on SB. Send him a PM and he'll let you know what he can do for you.

Welcome back!

I don't see the point of switching a wrist computer for a bulky console. AI isn't worth it either, as far as I'm concerned.

Knotical, thanks for posting that. Unfortunately, it's a little too soon for me, as I still have to get my gear overhauled and hopefully back into warranty. And my physical isn't until late January anyway. I am not doing anything until the doc greenlights me. :)

Well, I certainly appreciate the referrals. I will be happy to do all I can to help out. I am currently just a short hop up the road.

That will change for a while soon. Being an old retired snowbird, I leave for Florida in a couple of weeks, and I won't be back until mid March. I am doing doing pool sessions for the TecReational diver class this weekend, and I am gong to Santa Rosa to complete the class the next weekend. Then I am on the road.

Anything related to diving that takes me away from the keyboard will be welcome. It doesn't have to be a class. I can just give you a lot of advice on where to go next.

pretty sure you'll probably want to get in touch with John anyway because he'll be able to send you int he right direction for repair or likely show you how to do some o fit yourself, especially on the BC. I wouldn't worry about hopping in a pool pre greenlight from the doc if you're feeling good otherwise. I'd make it a serious consideration....

I am hoping to return to diving this year, after a five year break. My last diving was done on a live-aboard in Dec of 2009. When I stopped, I held an PADI MSD cert with just over 200 dives, all done within a few years. I felt fairly proficient when it came to handling the basics - low SAC, decent buoyancy, etc. I already have a physical scheduled with my doc. Of course my gear will need to be gone over by an expert to make sure it all works right.

I'm thinking of replacing my old wrist-mounted computer (Aladin Tec) for a new air-integrated console model. Has the technology changed that much in five years?

Should I go for a classroom refresher, or take a whole new OW class? Are there any online resources available now? I have looked at the PADI online refresher, is it worth the $62 to take that?

I will give a quick summary response of some of your questions.

1. In my experience, someone with the experience you describe, ending only 5 years ago, will not need a complete OW class. I believe you will also find a standard refresher something of a waste. The standard refresher goes over the skills from the OW class, and I think you will find a lot of that unnecessary. I used the word "standard" repeatedly because a lot of refreshers are not done that way. In those cases, the professional asks about experiences and needs, appraises the diver's ability, and then provides the appropriate assistance. I was once asked to do a refresher for a woman with a good deal of experience, and I saw immediately that she didn't need it. I talked it over with her, and we changed the class to one that introduced some more advanced buoyancy and propulsion skills so that it would not be a waste of her time. Wherever you decide to do such a session, ask to make sure that will be possible. You should also check to see who will conduct the refresher--most shops use DMs for that. If you want an instructor, ask about that, and make sure you have the instructor who knows how to do the kind of things you want to do. Not all have the same experience level to work with advanced divers.

2. If your gear has been well stored, it will probably be all right, but you may want to have it serviced just in case. I can check your gear and give it a thumbs up or down, but I am not a real technician and have a more limited ability to effect repairs than a real technician will.

3. Computer technology has changed a lot in the last few years, but I think the ones who argued against air integration have a good point. It is an added expense that, IMO, does not add much value. If your old computer still works, it is all you need for basic recreational diving. If you want to go beyond that, there are some very good options available. Don't make the mistake of assuming that a more expensive computer with more bells and whistles is an improvement. Many of those bells and whistles are unimportant, and that expensive computer may be lacking some features that a more advanced diver actually can use.

Thanks for the advice John.

I'm down in the Ken Caryl area, so A1 Scuba is my closest dive shop. I'm sure you know of them. I will probably be talking with them in February about a private refresher for my wife and I. My big concern, besides going over the basic skills, is to review proper dive planning and using EAN.

How do I find out more about your TecReation class? From a quick google, it sounds like something I may interested in. Anything that helps me have better buoyancy and control sounds good to me.

As an interesting aside, my wife and I both work in online education as well. Though my day job is with the local school district, she is full time, and I teach part time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom