Thinking about getting advanced/nitrox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My BP/W and Regs are all from the same manufacturer and I bought my BP/W off Craigslist, my first stage off eBay, and my 2nd stage and Octo from a dealer on here. The only thing that was new was the Octo. I then had everything serviced at my LDS. I saved $100s by looking around and being patient.
Point is, even though the packages seem like a good deal, you can get high quality stuff at a great price if you are willing to have a little patience. I will also say I learned tons by searching old threads on here.

Gonna look into these, the reason I want a package is because I'm very ocd and like everything to be the same exact company...

A Hollis kit along the lines of:
  • reg set as per @stuartv's suggestion (you'll pay extra $20 or so for Hollis-branded SPG -- and I'm told 99% of SPGs are made in the same factory in italy),
  • a Hollis bp&w: there might still be some closeout wings left out there, though you probably missed the really nice deals,
  • and choose a computer from DG02, DG03, or TX1,
I think would not be a bad setup for the money. Their computers don't seem to be super-popular, but DG03 probably has the best feature set for the price (some people complain about the interface). DG02 should be an OK entry-level computer though a bit overpriced, and TX1 is about the only one that offers air integration and ZH16+GF algorithm for under $1,000.

I'm pretty sure that will go over $1,000 and that's without a free nitrox class.

Also, PlanetMultiStore will probably beat LP on Cressi packages, though I'm not sure how much of that will get eaten up by shipping cost from Italy. Unless you call LP and talk to a person: they're known to offer discounts that don't make it to the online catalog.

Cressi ara fins are nice, too, though for chasing fishes you may want to go full freediving fin...

All but the computer, would avoid any of the proprietary RGBMs. Oceanic Geo 2 costs $100 more

For recreational diving I don't think it makes a real difference which algorithm you choose, they should all be reasonably safe and conservative and do your safety stop. For tech I just put it in bottom timer mode.

"don't buy ANY new equipment"
I'd argue quite the opposite, especially for a new diver. With used equipment (from ebay, CL, or dive shops) by the time you have it serviced--because you don't know what it really needs--and then, if you are thinking "nitrox" you may need it oxygen cleaned as well...add 'em up and new gear can be cheaper. New gear has a warranty, too. Used gear? Sure, some. Selectively, but only if you already have been diving long enough to have some experience and properly evaluate the gear. A used depth gauge, pressure gauge, compass, sure, because those rarely break. A used tank or regulator? No bargain. A used BC? Sure, if you know how to check it out.
For a new diver, you might also want to see what's available in rental gear at some different shops, so you can compare before buying. And ask a shop: If you rent it and like it, can you buy the rental gear? Can they make a package of new gear that's the same? If you buy a thousand dollars worth of gear, will they give you a free nitrox course? Or maybe, a year of free tank fills? Every shop would like to make a complete package sale, don't be afraid to ask for a little incentive.
I've got a local shop that's competitive--but no better--on hp steel tanks. But, they'll throw in a year of free fills. That can add up, especially if you're going nitrox.

A used tank or regulator? No bargain.

Say what?!

I've been diving for less than a year and a half. I now have 4 x HP120 tanks and 4 x HP100 tanks. I bought them all 2 at a time from various people. After having them all hydroed, VIP'ed, and O2 cleaned (as needed), I have less than half what new tanks would have cost in them. I just bought 2 PST HP100s for $100 each. They look like new inside and out and passed Hydro and VIP no problem.

Sure, if you do a crappy job of shopping you can buy used gear that is no bargain. But, if you have a little patience and do your due diligence, used is a GREAT way to go and get good bargains.

The only thing I would be reluctant to buy used is any electronic gear, just because they don't generally have a transferable warranty and if it breaks you'll likely end up just as well off to buy a new one. The exception being Shearwater, whose warranty is transferable. I would buy a used Shearwater computer, if I wanted one.

OK, you found some bargains on some used HP steel tanks. Even better if you found them locally, without adding high shipping costs. And yours passed all tests with flying colors and didn't need tumbling, either. Great. Odds are that is not what the OP, as a new diver, is looking for. In the "usual" Alu80, even if the used one is $50, add shipping or throw the dice on everything else...and it can easily hit $125+ versus $150 for new. Depending on what your local shops charge for inflated VIPs and hydros, tank cleaning, 02 cleaning (he did say nitrox), valve overhaul or cleaning...Not a bargain!

PST tanks? 25+ years old? I wouldn't send a new guy looking for those. Among other things, too many shops won't do an hp fill. Personally, I like the concept, I just wouldn't tell a new diver to start that way.

yeah we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Nitrox does not mean O2 clean, and if you're diving AL80's, they just aren't worth getting PP fills on nitrox, especially because the rental cost of AL80's with nitrox is generally not much more than the fills themselves.

PST tanks? I have many, just bought a pair of HP100's for $250, yes they're out of Hydro, but they passed with no issues. Purchase on the understanding that if they fail hydro you can get your money back, and it's fine. New AL80's are $150 each, so yeah not a significant savings to buy used, so I typically don't, but new steel tanks are between $300 and $400 each, and Faber is the only option, so if you are diving primarily salt water, used Worthington or PST's are a much better buy

"don't buy ANY new equipment"
A used tank or regulator? No bargain. .

I paid $185 for a Scubapro MK25 DIN on eBay. I asked the guy a few questions about the regulator so I had idea of how well he took care of it. I got it serviced at my LDS. I even asked the technician that serviced it what kind of condition it was in when he opened it up and he said it looked like it had just been serviced already which was consistent with what the guy on eBay said I just wasn't going to take his word for it. I would say I got a pretty good bargain for that.

I'm a new diver, but I spent a month of doing research on here before I bought my gear. I knew what I wanted in my gear and confirmed with my LDS what brands they serviced so I knew what to avoid. I can understand being reluctant buying used gear, but you can absolutely find good bargains and in better condition than rental gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom