Thinking about getting advanced/nitrox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get a complete Hog Classic and DIN D1 set right now for $300 from @Dive Right In Scuba. HOG also makes a great BP/W, none of these items will you "outgrow". Personal gear, mask, fins, snorkel can be from anyone, just make sure they fit and are comfy.

Oceanic Competitive Package

Mares Package #2

Cressi R1 BC, Leonardo, Compact Regulator & Octopus Package

What do you guys think about these packages? Suitable for warm water, nitrox diving, and spearfishing in 100 feet of water?

I wouldn't go with any of those. The gear is rental quality equipment. Non-balanced first stages, jacket BCDs, etc...

If you really must go with a package, and not pick parts individually, then I'd go with either

This Zeagle set Zeagle Scuba Gear BC Package, at Prime Scuba at PrimeScuba

Or

This Hollis set Hollis Gear HD100 BC Package at PrimeScuba

You'd need to get a dive computer as these packages don't include it.

I would not go with any of the packages you listed. If you want a traditional BC rather than a BP&W, I would consider one of the back inflation models. I would also consider a reg set of higher quality than the low end of the line. Rather than a console, I would go for a wrist computer, a wrist compass, and a SPG. There are many fine BCs and regs available. You should check out some of the computer threads regarding purchase of a 1st computer. Personally, I would consider the Oceanic Geo2 or Veo3. Both are available from LeisurePro at good prices, extra for the download cable.

As suggested, maybe you should try the LeisurePro custom package option to check prices. There are many other fine online stores that would be glad to talk to you about a package, some have been listed in this thread. In South Florida, there are many very good LDSs, going in to talk to them might also help you. You can use all the info you gather to make a rational choice and get yourself a good price. The more you know, the better bargaining position you will be in. All else being equal, I prefer buying from a LDS. The relationship often turns out to be very valuable and may prove of help if service is required.

Best of luck, good diving

Here's a Hollis package you could buy. It's $1200, but you'll need another 2nd stage. My recommendation is get the same backup 2nd stage as your primary, not some cheap octo. Or, you can call the shop and they can probably make you a deal. This package is all the same brand of stuff.
Crossover Package

Here's what I would buy:

HOG D1 single tank package for $500
Hog D1 Singles Regulator Package w/ SPG

BP/W for $380
28lb BP/W System

Mares Puck for $150
Mares Puck Wrist Computer

I'd still call though, and see what kind of deal they will make you.

Here's a Hollis package you could buy. It's $1200, but you'll need another 2nd stage. My recommendation is get the same backup 2nd stage as your primary, not some cheap octo. Or, you can call the shop and they can probably make you a deal. This package is all the same brand of stuff.
Crossover Package

Here's what I would buy:

HOG D1 single tank package for $500
Hog D1 Singles Regulator Package w/ SPG

BP/W for $380
28lb BP/W System

Mares Puck for $150
Mares Puck Wrist Computer

I'd still call though, and see what kind of deal they will make you.

All but the computer, would avoid any of the proprietary RGBMs. Oceanic Geo 2 costs $100 more

Hollis DC3-212 reg set
$150
Hollis 212 DC3 Regulator with Maxflex hose : Dive Addicts Inc : Hollis...

Buy two of them, put them together, and have a spare 1st stage left over and you've still only spent $300 plus one LP hose. Or add a Hollis 321 octo for $99 and save a few bucks.

Hollis Balanced 321 Octopus with 36" (91cm) Yellow Hose

Drive up to Dive Gear Express. They're just up in Pompano. Get their BP/W. The wing is the Dive Rite Travel EXP wing, just relabeled for DGX. DGX customer service is fantastic and their warranty and return policy cannot be beat (literally!).
$300
DGX Custom - Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

Then get an Oceanic computer for anywhere from $200 - $400. The Geo 2.0 is good, if you want a wristwatch style and don't mind not having air integration.

If you don't go with an air integrated computer, add an SPG from DGX to your regs for $71.
DGX Custom - SPG and Flex Hose Assembly in PSI | Dive Gear Express®

$320 for a reg set, w/SPG
$300 for a BP/W
Whatever you want to spend on a computer

You could be in the water with all brand new top quality gear for anywhere from $820-ish to $1000, easy.

There is definitely NO reason to think you can't buy gear now that will serve you indefinitely. I bought all my own gear immediately after finishing OW. Thanks to all the reading I did here on SB, I think I chose reasonably wisely and it is all still serving me well with no desire to replace any of it - except for my Deep Sea Supply wing, which I have retired in favor of a Hog wing.

I appreciate your OCD concerns but I want to make sure that you realize there is no foundation to the idea that the same label on the box has any bearing to the items function as a unit. An Oceanic BCD has no impact on the regulator you choose. The regulator set has no correlation to the computer. An Oceanic computer will work just the same with an Aqualung BCD or regulator. There is simply no reason to have it all have the same label on the box. I would think rather that OCD would want you having the best you can afford for each item and the item that most meets you needs and preferences, and with the BCD, fit.

Secondly, it is my understanding that Brand Name gear is often made by a third party then branded for the seller. Maybe someone with the facts can clarify this. So having the same Brand in some cases at least is meaningless.

There is no one brand that I would recommend for BCD, regulators and computer.

Last edited:
lots of advice on scubaboard :)

here's my 2 cents.

find a dive shop you trust. go visit and talk about gear. Check out the pros and cons of different setups. try 'em on. talk to the guys in the shop about their experience with what THEY ACTUALLY USE.
if you're ever in the Stuart Florida area, i'll be happy to take you to the local LDS i go to (Stuart Scuba). trusted and tested!

Oceanic Competitive Package

Mares Package #2

Cressi R1 BC, Leonardo, Compact Regulator & Octopus Package

What do you guys think about these packages? Suitable for warm water, nitrox diving, and spearfishing in 100 feet of water?

As long as you focus on the manufacturer rather than the quality to price ratio or its usefulness in your type of diving, it makes no difference. Buy whatever you like, but down the road expect that your need to use the same manufacturer will limit your ability to purchase the best tools for the job.

The up side is that you will have your own gear and, perhaps later, use your OCD to get the best gear you can for your budget.

Good Diving

Bob
Likes the brand name Used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom