Thinking about doing my DM in Thailand (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi NJ Divegirl and 'friends',

please allow me to give you some info on diving in Thailand that is based on some experience. I have been living in Thailand for over 2 years now, and logged over 600 dives in that period. Haven't seen everything yet off course, mission impossible, but if I can give you some advice, in my opinion it comes down to this:
If you want to do some absolute great diving, the Similan Islands are about the best you will find in Thailand, possibly whole Asia! Incredible viz and enormous diversity in marine life. You can find everything here from small seahorses, ghostpipefish or harlekin shrimps to the gentle giants like manta's and whalesharks in a single dive!
However, if you prefer to stay on the mainland, which might be better if you plan to do your DM course, the Phuket area would be my choice. Good diving, and easy acces to more remote, but even better divesites as Hin Daeng or Hin Muang, Phi Phi islands,..(this is also the reason why I am currently staying here). Viz and diversity are far better than the eastcoast (Samui) or Pattaya.

I've been doing freelance work for most of the Phuket area diveoperators, so if you fancy some info on which one might be a good choice to do your DM, just let me know, ok! :)

Dive safe,
DFL

<If you want to do some absolute great diving, the Similan Islands are about the best you will find in Thailand, possibly whole Asia! >

Similan and Surin are the best in Thailand but diving in Thialand certainly isn't the best at all in Asia! Thailand is at least one grade below Malaysia and the Phils, far below Indonesia, Palau or Yap!

I am a DM in Pattaya. It depends on how long you are going to stay in country. The weather is a major factor.

The diving is far better in the south when the weather is good. Mermaids is a good outfit in town. By the way I am not affiliated with them.

So if you are coming for a short period I would say go to Similians, then Phi Phi, Koh Tao etc. Depending on the time of year!

If you are going to come for the long haul and are going to be moving on to instructor then Pattaya is not a bad choice. It is so close to Bangkok that is gets much more traffic than the south.

The weather here is steadier also. We get business all year
where the south tends to be seasonal.
So it is a great place to train or be trained.
I dont like Pattaya to much though. But I am a bit jaded I think.

If I had my choice it would be Similians hands down. By far the best Thailand has to offer.

I try to stay flexible and fallow the best weather. If anyone else has any questions about Thailand and or diving here,
let me know. I might be able to help.

i've been to pattaya,,,,,ok but mostly for horny old men .I should be doing most of my certs. in koh tao in feb (hopefully) if you are going in the rainy season go to pattaya....i'ts not that bad...but if you r going in the good season go south (koh tao , similans, etc):mean:

I could dive Richielieu Rock all day long and still ask for more bottom time.

I've entered the Kingdom of Thailand 12+ times in the last 8 years and been on 3 live aboards. Burma is the best trip, but truthfully I have no aspirations towards DM.
In any case kon Thai are very polite, happy and nice people.

Sanook mak (enjoy)

RSdiver:
I could dive Richielieu Rock all day long and still ask for more bottom time.

I've entered the Kingdom of Thailand 12+ times in the last 8 years and been on 3 live aboards. Burma is the best trip, but truthfully I have no aspirations towards DM.
In any case kon Thai are very polite, happy and nice people.

Sanook mak (enjoy)

Yeah, divemasters have to do all the dirty work along with the free scuba diving, like cleaning the head.

I've looked at DM as a back-up job and additional training only because DM's don't make alot, therefore I really had no asparations either, but wouldn't it be fun to dive several times a week, and hopefully make enough to pay living expenses for awhile? It has to be better than washing dishes at a university, working as a janitor, or shoveling snow.

I guess alot of other people have my same idea? Now what?

Phuket is a great area to do your DM as there are so many options for diving. I recommend that you check out some websites, send your enquiries and monitor the efficiency of the replies. Then when you arrive in Thailand check out the various operations to see if they do offer exactly what is promised. Also check out the Instructor/Instructors who would be doing your course. For example beware of freelance Instructors without work permits.

Ringo:
Also check out the Instructor/Instructors who would be doing your course. For example beware of freelance Instructors without work permits.

You only need a work permit of you get caught and you're not going to get caught if you work on one of the islands gulf side... whenever the immigration police turn up their arrival is pretty much telegraphed for the preceeding week as they island hop Koh Tao / Hoh Phangnan / Koh Samoi.

DORSETBOY:
You only need a work permit of you get caught and you're not going to get caught if you work on one of the islands gulf side... whenever the immigration police turn up their arrival is pretty much telegraphed for the preceeding week as they island hop Koh Tao / Hoh Phangnan / Koh Samoi.

This is not absolutely true. While immigration is not all that effective in Thailand, I believe last October or November, immigration did clean out quite a lot of people without work permit on Koh Tao. While there is not a severe penalty beside deportation, I still am not all that keen on people working without work permit regardless of jobs, positions etc.

I can understand that you might not be that keen, but if someone intends to go to thailand for a short period, ie. a couple of weeks there's not enough time for them to setup a work permit if they intend to do a little freelance and the cost would mean it's not really worth it. If you're going to stay a long time then maybe it would be worth doing.
As for a big clear out on Koh Tao that's not something I'm aware of and having seen immigration's attempts last year I personally wont be that concerned when I go back this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom