thinking about buying my first gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As has been mentioned, perhaps renting is the way to go.

You could get some used kit along the way also. I would recommend getting your own mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuit, though. It's fairly personal stuff.

Thank you all for the quick repley....i value your advice...i have saved up money by not going to the bars so that is not a problem....the reason i am thinking about doing this is i am going to invest all of my saving in a CD most likely but i do like the idea of having my own gear...however it does not make sense to have it sitting around 364 days out of the year.....mabey if i get my gear i will dive more but the reality of the situation is i am a desert diver which means large bodies of water are far from here...the most times that i go diving is when we make our yearly trip to the gulf and i dive there....i have my own mask and fins and wetsuit and knifes.....but when i have to rent everything else and pay for the boat it runs me about 300 for one day with mabey 3 dives.....i dont know how much the yearly inspection run......what to do.....what do u think.......thanks again

300$ for one day sounds very steep...

Is this a liveaboard type of arrangement?

IMHO, if it's just a daily charter, rentals and boat for 2 or 3 dives should not be more than 120-150$.

Anybody else have a different view?

mlat:
Thank you all for the quick repley....i value your advice...i have saved up money by not going to the bars so that is not a problem....the reason i am thinking about doing this is i am going to invest all of my saving in a CD most likely but i do like the idea of having my own gear...however it does not make sense to have it sitting around 364 days out of the year.....mabey if i get my gear i will dive more but the reality of the situation is i am a desert diver which means large bodies of water are far from here...the most times that i go diving is when we make our yearly trip to the gulf and i dive there....i have my own mask and fins and wetsuit and knifes.....but when i have to rent everything else and pay for the boat it runs me about 300 for one day with mabey 3 dives.....i dont know how much the yearly inspection run......what to do.....what do u think.......thanks again

I live an hour from the gulf, I couldn't IMAGINE anything that would cost $300 a day including the hotel. My 2-tank dives are $50-70.

Also on the equipment, I bought all my skin gear first, mask, fins, snorkel. Then a Zeagle BC which I sold. I bought an Oceanic Delta which I still have. If it were me, doing it all again, I'd go with the harness and backplate, with wings. The system is fairly cheap, modular, and everything is replaceable. You'll spend less money for a better rig, and it will last longer. It will also suit everything from open water to cave diving if you ever get that far. I'd also want my own wetsuit and hood. Get a pressure gauge, depth gauge, and a decent watch, and you've got all the electronics you really need. Even though I dove with a computer, and probably will again, I'll be doing the next year or two with tables only. Amazing how much easier to stick with a dive plan when you don't have a piece of gear on your wrist telling you that you can stay 10 more minutes.

Best of luck to you, but I do agree with the other people.. rent as much stuff as you can, and buy in pieces. Nothing wrong with buying used gear as long as it's not life support. A used rubber fin won't kill you.

i agree with all of you....300 is steep....i think i will wait and buy in peices...the only reason i want new gear is so i have the lifetime warrenty....i go to port aransas tx can anyone offer some good places to dive and who with......thanks

PerroneFord:
If it were me, doing it all again, I'd go with the harness and backplate, with wings. The system is fairly cheap, modular, and everything is replaceable. You'll spend less money for a better rig, and it will last longer. It will also suit everything from open water to cave diving if you ever get that far. I'd also want my own wetsuit and hood. Get a pressure gauge, depth gauge, and a decent watch, and you've got all the electronics you really need. Even though I dove with a computer, and probably will again, I'll be doing the next year or two with tables only. Amazing how much easier to stick with a dive plan when you don't have a piece of gear on your wrist telling you that you can stay 10 more minutes.

This is solid advice.

Rentals added about $25 to my aforementioned $50-70 price. So I was on the boat for $100.

Shasta_man:
I found I had to arch my back a lot to dump air and all that bouyancy makes it more difficult to make the subtle changes you do in warm water.

Are you only using the top dump? With my Ranger, I usually use the bottom dump while diving. It's relatively effortless then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom