Thinking about buying a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend an Apeks 50 for a reasonably nice, reliable, durable cold water reg. Have it tuned right when you buy it & it won't freeflow.

POSEIDON! I have a jetstream and they are soo easy to breath and will last a long time. One person I met has a poseidon for 15 years and still going. It's expensive but it will treat you good in the long run.

Wow, thank you all for the awesome replies. You have all given me more advice than I was expecinting. That's awesome...thank you!!!

You've given me a lot to think about. The reg would be my first piece of scuba equipment (not including mask/snorkel/fins)...and I don't intend to purchase it right away (lacking in funds at the moment!!).

I will check into the techs in the area and see what they are good at, as that sounds somewhat important.

Ber Rabbit...good to know that the hoses come with the BCDs and dry suits. I had no idea. Thanks for that tidbit!

This could be all hearsay, but I heard that there is a regulator somewhere out there that I can put fresh water into so I drink while diving????? This would be cool, as I get a major dry throat while breathing out of regs. Has anyone heard anything about this?

creamofwheat:
This could be all hearsay, but I heard that there is a regulator somewhere out there that I can put fresh water into so I drink while diving????? This would be cool, as I get a major dry throat while breathing out of regs. Has anyone heard anything about this?

There's a filter (apollo bio-filter, i think) that you place in line between the 1st and 2nd stages, and you moisten it, and supposedly it transers moisture to the air you breathe. Better look for some posts about that though, I have a feeling it's not that highly thought of, and it's expensive.

There are some regulators which are designed to add a little moisture to the air by allowing for condensation of your exhaled air, which then moistens the inhaled air. I think sherwood makes one with fins for this purpose. My old metal scubapro reg does a similar thing as the air flows through metal which allows for condensation to moisten the air. This has really made a difference for me with dry mouth. If I'm not mistaken, mares still makes some metal 2nd stages, but i have no idea if they have the same effect. Someone else probably knows all about it, though!

Stay away from Ocean Masters products....they have a habbit of not honoring thier warranties....check w/ Larry at Scuba toys for some good information and helpful advice on almost all manufactures and their products....

I don't know about an regulator that allows you to drink out of. There is the SCUDA which comes with a special mouthpeice that attaches to your regulator. DeepSeaSupply also has a product that allows you to take a drink with you but it has a seperate hose.

rapidiver:
Check out this months Scuba Diving Magazine. They report on 16 "Muscle Regs".

Is that the SCUBA version of muscle cars? Too bad the new Charger is automatic only.

Here is some information to help decide and then some brand opinions of my own.

1. Make sure it is easily servicable in your area.
2. Spend money on it, you don't want to be in a position where you want to upgrade because you're not happy with what you've got.
3. Do research like you're doing now and through reviews
4. http://www.scubadiving.com/ is a great place but they do not review all brands and models so don't just stop there perhaps search for user reviews on brands or models that have been suggested to you.
5. Chat to your Instructor/s or LDS, if you don't trust their opinions find a new instructor or LDS.

As far as brands go I'd go for Apex or ScubaPro. Apex because I've heard a lot of good stuff about them from all sorts of divers and reviews I read before buying mine and ScubaPro from my own experience and research.

Here is the scubapro sales pitch:
1. Produced in both America and Europe so parts are easily found
2. Great cold water regulators (I dive mine in temps sometimes as low as 6 degrees celcius and never had any free flow problems)
3. Backwards compatable for service kits (if you reg goes out of production the new service kits will still work in your older regulator
4. You'll receive upgrades that occur to the new regulator effectively improving what you have bought.
5. Life time warranty.
6. Usually a no questions asked return policy. (Got replacement fins after they were out of warranty. Friend dropped his dive computer off his balcony and returned it for a replacement, dishonest I know, but they replaced it no questions asked)
7. Cheap service kits in comparison to most other brands (here in SA anyway)
8. great quality product with excellent performance

I bought the MK16/S550 but I know the MK25 and MK17 are also great products. I'm one of those people that like the best so if buying again I would most likely buy the MK25 but at the time the MK16 was recommended as a cheaper alternative now I can't seem to find a good enough reason to upgrade.

Good Luck and choose wisely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom