Thinking about a night dive at Lauderdale by the Sea on Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Found a thread or two on it (including one with a Google Earth overview photo - good stuff), but was hoping to get some more feedback on it from the locals.

We will be planning on getting in the water right at sunset, and diving as it gets dark. Think we are planning on doing the area just south of the Commercial Blvd. pier. I understand there are three reef lines, and seen some anecdotal comments about the quality of the inner two reef lines. Are they good or overrated?

Do we need to consider trying to make it out to the third reef line? If so, how far out is that. This all of course assumes that the weather cooperates.

Thanks in advance.

The second and third reefs are only reachable by boat (unless you're Neal Watson!) The first reef is a really long swim out as well, but there is an inshore reef that you'll really enjoy.

Hello Aggie Diver;

My brother is a nitwit Longhorn Fan in Austin, so I like you already.

I dive extensively north and south of LBTS.

As far as shore diving goes in this area I offer the following:

We describe it as 1st bump, 2nd bump, 3rd bump, The dead zone (which is anything but dead) and then the inside ledge.

After that is what most folks call the 1st reef, and it is this area that is described as Anglins, or the Pompano "Drop Off", or whatever reef they want to call it depending on what locals you are talking to.

The "Drop Off" is 25' to 35' deep to the sand. it is 4 tenths to as much as 7 tenths oa a mile offshore

After that in places is a 35-45' reef that rarely gets hit by the cattle boats, and then the 2nd reef in the 40'-60' range. This varies from .6 to .8 miles offshore.

These are generalities, and if you go to Welcome you can find oodles of maps.

As far as a night dive goes , if you do not know this area you need to be very wary and I would say that you should not go past the 2nd bump as I called it.

I routinely hit the 55' range from shore, on the right day, down around Oakland Park Blvd, but we dive steel 130's and are very experienced in this area.

I also sometimes stay on the 1st bump, depending on bug action, picture material or general laziness.

I also reccommend that you pay close attention to the weather as you stated.

I hoped this helps a little, and you can send me a PM and I may be able to offer more info.

Chug

By the way Debbie,

I hit #2 a few times a year from shore.

Chug

Hello, Great place to night dive, just make sure you feed the parking meters!! I am assuming you are talking about a BEACH night dive that is?
Debbie offers a simple and perfect explanation, the inshore reef, ( the reef at the end of the pier, which I and many others always called the "first reef" ), is a very short swim and easy to reach from the beach.
The actual first reef is another 2 lengths of the pier from the inshore reef as seen on google maps and as I saw when I flew over it just a few weeks ago. It was a perfectly clear day and the water was crystal clear as well and I saw the entire reef system from Boca Raton to LBTS and really saw at how the reef system meandered in and out along the shore.
If you are going in a kayak you should do the first reef but make sure you have a light and flag, to many crazy boaters around!!!
Have fun, water should be clear by then, supposed to be windy tomorrow and then a swell later this week from hurricane Bill.
Have fun!

Thanks guys. Yes, beach dive. Got a flag/float to take with us. Shooting for getting in at sunset (having twilight to gear up, swim out, then gets dark while we're on the dive).

Think we won't be venturing any further than the pier.

By the way Debbie,

I hit #2 a few times a year from shore.

Chug
Chug, holy crap you rock!!!!! I've done it by kayak but that's a bit far out with just fins and an AL80.

Who's DebbIE? :rofl3:

Aggie, just going out the length of the pier you will have a GREAT TIME. I would join you but I'll be headed for the Bahamas on the Nekton Pilot about the time you hit the water. Sucks to be me, huh? :blinking:

p.s. yes, feed the meters. The LBTS meter maids are demons.

My plans aren't confirmed for the weekend and I may join ya, if that's Ok..

Hey Jenny, we gotta go kayak diving when I'm back from CSB!!!!!! Let me know if you want to go with some Kayuba peeps while I'm away and I'll give you the contact info. :D

I did this dive, day time (from just south of the Commercial Blvd. pier) couple years ago.
I found accurate description at
Fill Express -- The Best Shore Dive in Florida
they call it reefs. It looks like others call it bumps. 1st and 2d are separated by about 100ft of sand. Not much of live corals (only few ornamentals on a dead lime stone). Some soft corals on a 2d. Few fish (not as many as on deeper reefs but some)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom