Thinking about a Mac and MacDive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. I currently use a Acer Netbook with an Intel Atom processor and Windows XP with a 1024 X 600 display and 1 GB ram. The Airbook will replace it. The Airbook should be a major upgrade.:D

Thanks!
Not "should", will definitely.:D

You can definitely take great pictures and white balance them in jpeg mode. But you can fix a so-so RAW picture much more effectively, especially if it was over exposed. But good lord they take up a LOT of space.

I bought the one to one option when I bought the computer. I had problems getting the membership to register. I ended up going to the Apple Store and getting it registered. While I was there, I had some help with some of the ins and outs of using a Mac. Very enlightening. I also had Aperture put on my machine. I have been playing with some of my pictures and WOW is it ever a powerful piece of software! Color me impressed! It will take some getting used to working with it but I worked on a couple of my pictures and was quite pleased with the results. Now if I can just figure out what to do with them once they have been tweaked. I may be off to find a book on how to get the most from it. I figure if I keep messing with it I can be pretty good with it by the time August and my trip to Roatan come around. The ease with downloading the camera to aperture was much smoother than I anticipated. Over all I would rate aperture a sweet piece of software. Now if I can just get proficient at using it.:D

I know I will be off today to look for storage at a decent price, the Apple store has a 1T external, portable drive that is supposed to be tough enough to take some of the bumps and jars from traveling. It looks to be pretty tough anyway. It does seem to be expensive though. $250 seems a little high. I saw another one that purports to be tough and was $50 less. I might end up getting a 1T for travel and a 2 or 3T to backup the backup. I looked at another 1T storage unit that uses thunderbolt and is not portable. $500 seems ridiculous to me but I guess you get what you pay for. I think I will stick with the USB interface for now.

Not "should", will definitely.:D

I have been playing with my new toy. My wife is feeling a bit ignored. She knew it was coming though.:D She did bake bread yesterday. That lured me away from my toy! She also made homemade English Muffins. Yummy!

After using the netbook for the last 2 years I guess I never knew how much difference would be involved here. I am impressed. Now if I can just get into the way things are done, I think I will be very satisfied with the purchase.

You can definitely take great pictures and white balance them in jpeg mode. But you can fix a so-so RAW picture much more effectively, especially if it was over exposed. But good lord they take up a LOT of space.

Now if my account can just find resources enough to upgrade the camera (DC800) to something that shoots RAW. Once I get aperture figured out I may have enough set aside for a new camera.

I am hoping 1T will be enough to store a few thousand pictures. It should work. But then I remember my 1st PC thinking 4MB Ram and a 325MB hard drive would be more than a reasonable person would expect to need in a life time.

Back
Top Bottom