Thinking about a Mac and MacDive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was considering an IPad but there are no USB ports which renders it useless for what I want to do. I also have an IPhone 4S and was looking at the advantages for having an apple laptop.
Which reminds me of another cool thing MacDive does: it syncs with the Dive Log app for iPhone and iPad (the iPad version makes good use of the full screen) so you can always have your dive log in your pocket.

I think I will pull the trigger on this. The guy at the Apple store said I could save $300 by ordering online. I think I will. Thanks for all the help folks.
Now all I have to do is wait for the AirBook and then get MacDive for it.
God I hate waiting.:D

Bad news if you hate waiting ... Do you hate buyer's remorse less?
The Macbook Pro and Air lines are expected to have a major refresh in the April/May/June timeframe. New intel processors ("Ivy Bridge"), with a significant bump in processing and graphics power. Rumors are flying that the Macbook Pro line may lose the optical drive (like the air), the resolution may be much higher, etc. ...

See Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone - "[Macbook Air]: Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle". Macbook Pro guide is just above that on the page.

I need to upgrade my 7-year-old Powerbook G4 so I can run some intel-only software, including (soon) a version of OSX that isn't three cats old. But I'm holding on, this promises to be a significant hardware bump, and I don't want to feel cheated in a couple of months.

As for MacDive, I'm still using DiveLog (MacDive is intel-only) but that seems to be orphanware at this point. I've been following Macdive and it seems well reviewed, as well as maybe the only reasonable choice, and I'll buy it when I can run it.

Thanks for the info. I currently use a Acer Netbook with an Intel Atom processor and Windows XP with a 1024 X 600 display and 1 GB ram. The Airbook will replace it. The Airbook should be a major upgrade.:D

Thanks!

Bad news if you hate waiting ... Do you hate buyer's remorse less?
The Macbook Pro and Air lines are expected to have a major refresh in the April/May/June timeframe. New intel processors ("Ivy Bridge"), with a significant bump in processing and graphics power. Rumors are flying that the Macbook Pro line may lose the optical drive (like the air), the resolution may be much higher, etc. ...

See Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone - "[Macbook Air]: Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle". Macbook Pro guide is just above that on the page.

I need to upgrade my 7-year-old Powerbook G4 so I can run some intel-only software, including (soon) a version of OSX that isn't three cats old. But I'm holding on, this promises to be a significant hardware bump, and I don't want to feel cheated in a couple of months.

As for MacDive, I'm still using DiveLog (MacDive is intel-only) but that seems to be orphanware at this point. I've been following Macdive and it seems well reviewed, as well as maybe the only reasonable choice, and I'll buy it when I can run it.

I went ahead and did it! The computer is ordered. I got the Airbook with the I7 processor and 4 GB Ram and 256GB drive. I will get Aperature and maybe the disk drive when it is delivered. I plan on getting a 1T portable drive to store all my pictures on. I will be buying the MACDive software as soon as the compter is rigged up and ready. I am hoping I can somehow import the info from DiveLog to MacDive. If not I guess I will take the time to go ahead and move the 50 dives manually. Now I need to start looking for a camera that shoots RAW and I should be set. If I get the camera soon enough I will be able to get used to it before out trip to Roatan in August.

Thanks for all your help folks.

Cool! MacDive will import files in the following formats: DiveLog (.xml), Oceanic CSV (.txt), Suunto Dive Manager 2.x (.sde), Shearwater (.xml), UDCF (.udcf).

Will it import all the information like dive site etc? If so that is way cool. Will save me having to do it over.:biggrin:

Got the new MAC today. After using PCs for years it may take some time to figure things out. The mouse pad is definitely different.......no left click right click. I'll get it figured out! I will probably try to download MacDive tonight and go to the Apple store and buy Aperture. Then a new storage device, maybe 1T?

Got the new MAC today. After using PCs for years it may take some time to figure things out. The mouse pad is definitely different.......no left click right click. I'll get it figured out! I will probably try to download MacDive tonight and go to the Apple store and buy Aperture. Then a new storage device, maybe 1T?

I would recommend the Seagate GoFlex drives - you can get up to 1.5TB in a bus-powered drive, no power cords, etc. You can also buy a new little plugin for the back (maybe $30?) that will convert it to a thunderbolt drive. I use my 1TB version to drag around all of my movies on really long trips.

Also, you do have left & right clicks on your trackpad -- just click on the right-half of the trackpad and you should get the context menus / normal right-click type of behaviour.

I'm seriously considering getting MacDive and just doing everything by hand. Or reverse engineer the Galileo data stream over iRDA so I can still download. Or just buy a couple of new dive computers that it DOES support. :)

Get Aperture through the App Store. It's cheaper, and updates are a lot easier and you can install on another Mac when you get. Trust me, this won't be your only Mac you ever purchase :)

Back
Top Bottom