Thinking about a Mac and MacDive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore19

Denizen of the PUB
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have come to the conclusion that I would like to try my 1st Mac. I was looking for dive logging software. A few questions if you would please help.

I am going to buy the airbook because it is small, lightweight. It also has USB ports. I have gone to the MacDive website and have found that you can download directly into MacDive from my Oceanic Datamask.

First of all, are my assumptions correct? If I have the Mac Airbook I can get MacDive and download my Datamask directly into MacDive via the USB download cable?

If so, what is MacDive like for logging dives? Is it dependable? Is it easy to do? Is the software have functions similar to or better than the Oceanic Divelog software?

I am also considering the purchase of Aperature for photo processing. Any comments on that software?

Thanks for your help!

I have come to the conclusion that I would like to try my 1st Mac. I was looking for dive logging software. A few questions if you would please help.

I am going to buy the airbook because it is small, lightweight. It also has USB ports. I have gone to the MacDive website and have found that you can download directly into MacDive from my Oceanic Datamask.

First of all, are my assumptions correct? If I have the Mac Airbook I can get MacDive and download my Datamask directly into MacDive via the USB download cable?

If so, what is MacDive like for logging dives? Is it dependable? Is it easy to do? Is the software have functions similar to or better than the Oceanic Divelog software?

I am also considering the purchase of Aperature for photo processing. Any comments on that software?

Thanks for your help!

I'm using MacDive on a MacBook Pro. I can download directly from my Atomic Cobalt. If the MacDive website lists the Datamask as a supported computer, then you should not have a problem with the proper data cable and drivers. MacDive is quite easy to use to log dives. Since I found it, I've stopped using my paper log and now log everything electronically. If you decide to go that route, make sure you keep a backup of you log database or print out you dive logs from MacDive (I prefer to keep a backup of the database). I have not used Oceanic's software, so I can't make a direct comparison there, but MacDive is simple and straight-forward to use. It looks like the developer is working on adding tech capabilities, such as multiple tanks and gas switching within a single dive.

I also use Aperture for managing my photos, but I don't shoot underwater, yet. I'm not into heavy post-processing, but Aperture is plenty capable for me to correct white-balance and such simple thing.

I use it with my Cobalt as well on my MacBook Pro and on the home iMac. Super easy to use and very straight forward. Go for it!

I also use MacDive and have stopped keeping paper logs. MacDive is a really nice program, with ongoing development.

There's one thing I wish it had: an estimate of nitrogen loading at various points on a dive profile.

One thing you should know about MacDive: it stores your log in the file ~/Library/Application Support/MacDive/MacDive.sqlite
It gives you no choice on that storage location. I like to periodically back up a copy of this file, as lonebrave suggested.

I haven't used Aperture; I have Photoshop but I actually find the built-in iPhoto program on the Mac to be reasonably good for the most basic things.

For what it's worth, I am a Mac advocate, I own three IMac's , and two Macbooks. I would upgrade to the Macbook Pro. You have no dvd drive on the air and the Mac Pro will support more memory and is a faster machine. Wife wanted a Windows system for some of her projects and with out a doubt, Windows 7 is still like having your gums scraped.

For what it's worth, I am a Mac advocate, I own three IMac's , and two Macbooks. I would upgrade to the Macbook Pro. You have no dvd drive on the air and the Mac Pro will support more memory and is a faster machine. Wife wanted a Windows system for some of her projects and with out a doubt, Windows 7 is still like having your gums scraped.

This will be my second apple. The first was a long while back it was an Apple 2C. State of the art at the time, I even had a second floppy drive and added a composite color monitor:D. I have been using PCs since then.

I am considering the upgrade to the Core I7 processor with the 256GB flash storage drive. I would probably buy the portable dvd drive. I was looking at the airbook because it is smaller and lighter. I will be using it for travel and like the size. I haven't ordered or bought anything yet...... I wanted to make sure that I could use MacDive to download my Datamask before I went any further. I was considering an IPad but there are no USB ports which renders it useless for what I want to do. I also have an IPhone 4S and was looking at the advantages for having an apple laptop. I will also be looking at a portable storage drive for all of my pictures. I would like to eventually get a camera that shoots RAW and all of this seems like a good way to go. I have heard and read a lot of good things about Aperature for post processing. I can afford the computer and other stuff and upgrade the camera later.

Thanks for your help and comments. MacDive looks like it will work well for what I am trying to do.

Just looked at the "computers supported" page for MacDive and for Oceanic it supports the following:

Atom 2.0 • Atom 3.0 • Datamask • Geo • Geo 2.0 • OC1 • Pro Plus 2 • Pro Plus 2.1 • Veo 180NX • Veo 200 • Veo 250 • Veo 2.0 • Veo 3.0 • Versa Pro • VT3 • VT4 • VT Pro

It looks like you're in business.

(I use MacDive for my TUSA Zen.)

I have the MacAir and love it. I also have an IMac at home so the lack of an optical drive is not a problem for me. since I can use the drive on my IMac to load programs on the Air through the remote drive option. Neither is the fact that it only has a 128G drive. I have a 3tb external hard drive to write to, so I never keep too much on the Air's drive.

As for the fact that the Macbook Pro is faster... Well, I am a professional photographer and use both a Nikon D700 and a Canon 1DmkIV. The Nikon has a 12meg image and the Canon is a 16gig. I shoot everything on raw and the Air takes a whopping 4 seconds to save a raw image. And my Air is the ICore 5. Perhaps if you are doing a lot of spreadsheet work, it would be a problem, but to be honest, I don't have a problem with the "slowness" of the Air versus the Pro.

I have not used Aperture, but hear alot of people like it. I use CS5, but Photoshop elements 10 has everything a photographer really needs to work photos and it's a bargain at about $100.

I have loaded MacDive, but haven't used it except for logging two dives from my Suunto Zoop. It loaded the dives with no problems.

Jerry

MacDive absolutely rocks ! Its' great, no issues. I have installed on a MacBook Air & a Macbook. No issues with either. To me, not having a DVD drive on the Air is a non-issue. The Air is great for dive travel, as it is thin, light, fast and no moving parts to fail inside :) . When you are back at your hotel room after a day of diving, download the day's photos's into Aperature (my personal choice), and download the days dives into MacDive. The support fo MacDive is phenomenal.

I think I will pull the trigger on this. The guy at the Apple store said I could save $300 by ordering online. I think I will. Thanks for all the help folks.

Now all I have to do is wait for the AirBook and then get MacDive for it.

God I hate waiting.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom