Thinking about a compressor - I have questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if there are any issues with liability or homeowners insurance with having a compressor?

Does anyone know if there are any issues with liability or homeowners insurance with having a compressor?
There can be issues with your neighbors, if they live close and don't like the noise!!

There can be issues with your neighbors, if they live close and don't like the noise!!

unless there is a local municipal noise ordinance or subdivision covenant, not sure how they can do much. (besides groan)

I mean most compressors are any louder than a lawn mower or weed eater, and MOST people (unless you live in an apt, etc) cut their grass (or have someone do it) about once a week.

I could see that being an issue in areas like San Fran where sometimes the houses are within feet of each other or touching. that's just one of the things that you deal with when you/others choose to live so close to someone else. just like you prob can't park a RV or boat at most houses there. just not enough room due to being "too close".

I put about $2200 by the time it was all said and done into a Stewart Warner 3.5 cfm compressor including new 5.0 hp Honda engine, a repackable filter system (also surplus), a CO2 monitor and a fill whip. Simple, durable and capable of running continuously, unlike most portables.

That said, it takes a long time to ever have a compressor pay for itself - if ever. So the argument is not about economics but rather convenience and beiang able to get what you want, when you want it. A small compressor like that works ok for 2 divers, but I'd plan on 1.5 cu ft of compressor capacity per diver unless you want to be chained to a compressor doing fills the rest of your life.

Gas is great if you use the "portable" feature otherwise an electric motor makes life easier, reduces the noise a bit, allows more intake options, and adds some auto start and shut off options.

Picking up a few storage bottles for a cascade system can also make filling a little easier and allow you to optimize the times you run the compressor.

I put about $2200 by the time it was all said and done..

....Picking up a few storage bottles for a cascade system...

My little $3,000 project went to about $8,000 when you added in the cascade bottles, more tools, Nitrox stick, analyzers, valves, manifolds, tubing, more scuba cylinders, etc. Also went through PSI cylinder inspector training and had to buy inspection tools, since there was no one local who could inspect my cylinders.

Basically, most people will tell you to estimate a budget for your compressor -- and then plan to spend twice that in reality.

other than the quality of air, no worries. Just hope nothing ever goes wrong and you get a bad fill and bad air. If that happens there is no insurance that will ever cover you if it is one of your "friends" that got bad air

Not sure how you figure that it will never pay for itself. I spent around $3700. At $10 a fill that is 370 fills. Averaging 75 dives a year it is paid for itself in 5 years. Except many more tanks than my own get filled, like my partners and some of my dive buddies. ROI turned out to be around 2 years.

Even with a compressor it takes a decent amount of tanks to be able to go diving and camping for a long weekend. I can burn thru 4 tanks easily, and more in a three day weekend.

Did you figure in maintanence costs... power (fuel), filter changes, oil changes (compressor oil is spendy), possilbe repairs and such? Operations costs can add up and really extend that payback time.

I put about $2200 by the time it was all said and done into a Stewart Warner 3.5 cfm compressor including new 5.0 hp Honda engine, a repackable filter system (also surplus), a CO2 monitor and a fill whip. Simple, durable and capable of running continuously, unlike most portables.

That said, it takes a long time to ever have a compressor pay for itself - if ever. So the argument is not about economics but rather convenience and beiang able to get what you want, when you want it.
Convenience and control are the values I find as well, and it's well worth it to me for those. The cost issue is why I favor the oil-less RIX, for now. With the filter housings, I probably spent just under $3500 on the purchase. From what I've seen, with a little patience, work, and luck I could have had it for up to $1000 less. Assuming I can sell it for what I paid for it (if not, amortize that over the lifetime tank fills), it costs little more than the price of the fuel to operate. With care, the filter elements aren't likely to ever need replacing, or perhaps only over several-yearly cycles. Gas is probably in the range of 25 to 50 cents per fill. Once in awhile I'll need to add a quart or two of oil change for the motor. However it works out, it's not likely to be much more expensive than LDS fills, and I'd say with those going to 6/8/10 dollars, it will almost surely be cheaper.

unless there is a local municipal noise ordinance or subdivision covenant, not sure how they can do much. (besides groan)

I mean most compressors are any louder than a lawn mower or weed eater, and MOST people (unless you live in an apt, etc) cut their grass (or have someone do it) about once a week.

I could see that being an issue in areas like San Fran where sometimes the houses are within feet of each other or touching. that's just one of the things that you deal with when you/others choose to live so close to someone else. just like you prob can't park a RV or boat at most houses there. just not enough room due to being "too close".
I'm in a 'burb with smallish lots, and there are noise ordinances, as I'd expect there are in most incorporated residential locations, and at any rate, anyone can just call the po-po, whatever the city codes. As often favored by lawmakers, we have both an hours-defined ordinance, and then an effectively unbounded one that permits decree by the LEO, although it's ostensibly linked to balance-of-interests and objective analyses. Anyway, I haven't found it too hard to work around - and a big fence somewhat works in my favor so far - but I can't just pump anytime I want without at least some risk of gaining adverse attention, which I'd say is very desirable to avoid.

im starting to look for compressor. the nearest dive shop is 60 miles away. I have worked on Black beards cruises/worked in dive shop/and was a diver at flagler beach aquarium. I filled many tanks. but trying to justify 4000 to my old lady would get me killed. any suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom