Think back a little...what were you like as a new diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been snorkeling since I was a kid. I loved ducking under, though 2 to 4 meters was as deep as I could get. I've always been comfortable in the water. But I never learned to scuba dive because I was afraid to take my mask off under water. The idea of having water in my nose creeped me out.

Then a dive instructor in Bonaire (where I was snorkeling 4 or 5 years ago) suggested putting my face in the water with my snorkel and a swim mask that does not cover the nose. If the water in my nose bothered me, I'd be right on the surface and could simply raise my head out of the water. If I could breathe through the snorkel with my nose exposed to the water, I would know that I could breathe through a regulator without a mask on. I tried it, and although the feeling was creepy, I was able to do it. But I could not take the PADI Discover Scuba class because I answered "yes" to the question "Do you take any prescription medications?" (Even though my meds --levothyrixin and lipitor-- have nothing about them to counterindicate diving.)

A year or two later, in Belize, I was prepared with my doctor's permission form. The shallow water session went well, but by the time the boat reached the dive site 5 minutes out, in heavy seas, I was so seasick that the dive was no fun at all, and I had great difficulty equalizing my ears. I decided scuba was not for me.

But a week later I decided to give it another try, and everything went better. The sea was not as rough, and equalizing was easier. My first post-certification dive, my buddy (one of the resort co-owners and a DM) commented on how comfortable I seemed. With just over 100 dives, I still consider myself a beginner, and I obsessively watch my depth, tank pressure, and remaining no-deco time. But I'm still comfortable in the water and I enjoy diving. I dive once or twice a year for a week or two at a time, only in warm water. I freedive also, and since taking classes from Performance Freediving International I am no longer limited to that childhood 2 to 4 meter depth.

SO...what were you like? And how did you get to where you are today??

Skills wise i was a bit of a yoyo for the first few dives after certification but in terms of feeling comfortable I was like a fish in water from day one and felt completely at ease from early on regardless of depth, conditions or whatever...

What that meant in practice is that I was also insufficiently risk-aware and prone to doing things that I would consider somewhat ill considered today like not respecting the weather or pushing depth boundaries too much.

-fast forward 27 years and I'm still completely at ease in the water. My buoyancy control has improved a bit and I believe I'm a much more alert, much more risk-aware and sensible (albeit not completely risk averse) diver than i was in the beginning.

R..

Thanks for all the great replies!

This newbie has been back twice. The first time didn't go so great as my wetsuit was too big and I was really cold.

We went back last Monday on Labour Day and everything went right. My suit fit, I went in with the right state of mind (I cannot stress what a difference this made- I was able to lose 6 more lbs off my weight belt) and most importantly, we had fun. It is fun! We were safe and relaxed and had a blast together. I know it will just get better from here.

Killed too many brain cells since then, so I couldn't tell you...

OMG... i was an instructor worst nightmare.. I freaked out any time water got in my mask. and I was a classic bobber "up and down up and down" i remember on my 3rd OWD I lost a fin strap and put it back on to notice I was at the surface ... I almost quit the class because I was so embarrassed.. but I stuck with it and I'm so glad... there is nothing like giving a new diver the experience of a life time.

KT

Grew up in the Keys, snorkeling around 2-3, regulator around 4-5 been diving ever since...Younger sister tried it a few times around same age, couldn't care less about it.....met my wife twenty years ago [damn yankee :wink: !!] she thought she'd give it a try....can't stand having a mask on her face, can't breath from a snorkel !!!!!......OH well, we're even, she rides horses....Big, smelly nasty creatures that bite :shakehead: !!!!!!.....

Grew up in the Keys, snorkeling around 2-3, regulator around 4-5 been diving ever since...Younger sister tried it a few times around same age, couldn't care less about it.....met my wife twenty years ago [damn yankee :wink: !!] she thought she'd give it a try....can't stand having a mask on her face, can't breath from a snorkel !!!!!......OH well, we're even, she rides horses....Big, smelly nasty creatures that bite :shakehead: !!!!!!.....
Get her a FFM. Get yourself a good saddle.

I am still new and I would classify myself as an underwater disaster. :D Just read my post about the great misadventure I had on my first salt water dive. Lessons learned that hopefully I will not repeat. Then again I am a blonde. :D

When I started I was immediately a confident and skilled diver.

The more I dive, the less confident and more unskilled I become.

(The more you know, you begin to know how much you don't know, until finally you know you don't know anything.)
:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom